Incident Yesterday Afternoon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Incident Yesterday Afternoon

About noon yesterday I went to Pep Boys to buy a couple of things. I finished shopping and was approaching the check-out when I heard a loud BANG, and the lights went out. My first thoughts were, "damn, the cash register will be down and I won't be able to buy these things." Then I saw people outside running. I went out and saw that my six-week old Tundra tug wasn't quite as I had parked it.

It turned out that the driver had crossed three lanes of traffic, knocked out a power pole, then a couple of signs, then plowed into a Chevy SUV, which was then pushed into my new Tundra. It took quite a while to cut the guy out of his old piece-of-crap truck and he looked like he was in pretty bad shape. One person said the old guy gained consciousness long enough to say he "fell asleep," (if you can believe that, at about 12:00 noon!). Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't getting into the Tundra when it was hit - as you can see it was pushed at least four feet out of the parking space.

This is the closest I have ever come to being in a wreck, and hope it's the closest I ever get! I'll be listening to the news to hear if the guy makes it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0598_Medium.JPG   IMG_0606b_Small.jpg  

IMG_0616b_Medium.jpg   IMG_0619web.jpg  

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
So glad to hear you weren't hurt. Wonder if they driver was intoxicated or one of our FL Elderly Citizens who no longer should be driving. I think once they start confusing the brake and the gas they shouldnt be allowed to drive. Cant count how many news reports have we heard where that was the case in an accident or they confused "Drive" and "Reverse" and yet they keep driving.

Hope this doesnt delay any of your travel plans.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You had an angel sitting on your shoulder. Two-three minutes the outcome may have been different. Like walking in the parking lot with your back to the oncoming vehicle.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your new tug. Hopefully HIS insurance company will make it right for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ouch! Sorry about the damage to your new tug :-( I know that it is the first ding that hurts the most having had an incident with a car less than a month old. Glad though that no one but the other driver was hurt.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Ray
Glad you were not hurt, sorry about the truck. I was in Pensacola this week visiting relatives and just drove back home to Va. yesterday. Was the accident at the Pep Boys on Hwy. 90 next to the Wal Mart, If so I was there on Friday. Also I noticed the King Buffet bill board, we ate lunch there on Thursday. What a coincidence, glad I left town before all the excitement.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Ray
Glad you were not hurt, sorry about the truck. I was in Pensacola this week visiting relatives and just drove back home to Va. yesterday. Was the accident at the Pep Boys on Hwy. 90 next to the Wal Mart, If so I was there on Friday. Also I noticed the King Buffet bill board, we ate lunch there on Thursday. What a coincidence, glad I left town before all the excitement.
Eddie
That's the one. The paper this morning still says the man's condition is "unknown." I'm not sure of his age, either. One person said 80 and another said 30. I didn't get a good enough look when they finally got him out to judge for myself.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
My dad drove into his early 90's and then it was a broken hip that took him out of the car - but - he limited himself to his neighborhood where he could get to the grocery - bank - hardware store without going out onto busy streets and roads.

If golf carts were allowed he'd have been able to use one in this circuit with ease.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
My dad drove into his early 90's and then it was a broken hip that took him out of the car - but - he limited himself to his neighborhood where he could get to the grocery - bank - hardware store without going out onto busy streets and roads.

If golf carts were allowed he'd have been able to use one in this circuit with ease.
I do that now.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
So glad to hear you weren't hurt. Wonder if they driver was intoxicated or one of our FL Elderly Citizens who no longer should be driving. I think once they start confusing the brake and the gas they shouldnt be allowed to drive. Cant count how many news reports have we heard where that was the case in an accident or they confused "Drive" and "Reverse" and yet they keep driving.

Hope this doesnt delay any of your travel plans.
While it is true that every accident involving an elderly driver is front page news, it is also true that their accident rate is lower than the general population.
Anecdotally, I appears to me that nearly everyone who drinks,drives legally drunk at least once a month.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Damage?
Fender,Bumper,Headlight,Rim and tire and Hood?
Did you get estimate yet?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wow!!!!!! Yes, could have been worse.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
That's always so frustrating getting damage to your new vehicle so soon after getting it. At least you were in the store and not in the truck. Have you had a chance to try the Tundra with the EggCamper yet to see how they handle together?

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #13

Registry
$5000 in damages. I'll have to pay my $500 deductible because the dirt-bag who caused the wreck didn't have enough insurance to cover all the damage he caused. Because I was the last hit, I'm the last in line for a claim on his 10K in insurance, and that will probably mostly be gone just replacing the poles and signs he plowed under.

We did get to use the Tundra to tow our egg on a trip to Hunting Island State Park in SC - it was SWEET.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
OUCH! That makes it worse that you have to pay part of the damage yourself. Do you have Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) on your truck? I think it's optional in FL, but if you have it then it may have a lower deductible for UMPD than on your collision policy.
We really liked Hunting Island when we camped there, it may not be there much longer with all the beach erosion that they were getting .

John
Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Seems to me your claim is against the blue truck that hit you as a result of the first accident. Maybe his insurance has better coverage and you can sue him for the deductible. You insurance company should not charge you a deductible under comprehensive coverage, IMHO.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems to me your claim is against the blue truck that hit you as a result of the first accident.
Wow, I wonder if that's true here in Florida? If so, I wonder why my agent didn't mention it? I would really hate to cause the owner of the blue SUV any more grief than she's already innocently suffered, but if that's how insurance works, I might need to ask my agent.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems to me your claim is against the blue truck that hit you as a result of the first accident. Maybe his insurance has better coverage and you can sue him for the deductible. You insurance company should not charge you a deductible under comprehensive coverage, IMHO.
Unless the blue truck did something wrong and was negligent, they aren't liable. Same scenario as if you had stopped in traffic behind the car in front of you, and someone runs into the back of you, pushing you into the vehicle in front of you. You would not be charged since you didn't cause the collision (although if you didn't have your foot on the brake that might factor into the liability). On the other hand, if you ran into the car in front of you first, and then the car behind you ran into you and cause even more damage to the first car, you would both be liable to different degrees.
"Comprehensive" coverage is actually "Other than collision" coverage and does not cover collisions. If Ray didn't have collision coverage (or UMPD) he would be out of luck completely.

John
Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I believe it is the responsibility of YOUR insurance company, when you report an accident, to make a determination of responsibility and, if they determine another party is at fault, pursue the party/parties at fault. It would seems the domino effect has happened here. Your insurance company would file claim against the vehicle that struck yours and they in turn would file claim against the vehicle that struck theirs, claiming their losses, which include paying your damages, and so on. In the transportation related accidents I have been aware of that's how it was handled. I also note that certain jurisdictions have established regulations that cover accident liabilities such as no fault coverage and that also works differently in different jurisdictions. It seems vehicle accident liabilities aren't always handled logically.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #19

Registry
Both the owner of the blue SUV and I have the same insurance companies.

I guess it really doesn't matter, since my wife just told me that we aren't about to cause the SUV owner any more grief.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ray, we all have to live within our own skin. If you're satisfied with the decision you've made not to pursue the SUVs insurance, that's all that matters really. BUT, I think you're insurance agent is not handling your claim properly....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote