insurance question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #21

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Liability may be attached to the tow vehicle where you live, but not where I live.
That's because you live in a foreign country!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Liability may be attached to the tow vehicle where you live, but not where I live. I recommend that you discuss this with your agent.
You also need to know how much liability the insurance will pay before you have to sell your house to settle the rest of the claim.

I have purchased $5 million liability on my vehicle and $3 million for the trailer.
If you forget to place the chocks and your trailer rolls over a 22-year-old camper with two children and a wife and his injuries mean he can never work to support his family, for the rest of his life, I can assure you, even $3 million may not be enough.
There are two kinds of liability involving a trailer. One is liability while towing, and that's what's included with tow vehicle liability insurance in every place I am familiar with. I honestly don't see how it could work any other way. Consider: in a highway accident while towing, if the trailer liability were a separate policy, which vehicle would be deemed responsible? Which policy would pay? Which limit would apply?

The other is liability while unhitched, which includes the roll-away situation you describe. Tow vehicle insurance does not cover that kind of liability in my experience. It would be covered by a separate RV policy or by some kind of umbrella liability insurance.

If it works differently in Canada or in BC particularly, I would appreciate additional clarification.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #23

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The other is liability while unhitched, which includes the roll-away situation you describe. Tow vehicle insurance does not cover that kind of liability in my experience. It would be covered by a separate RV policy or by some kind of umbrella liability insurance.
The unhitched trailer liability situation is covered by your homeowner's liability coverage IF you have homeowner's insurance coverage for the home you own. Otherwise coverage would be provided through personal liability policy if you have one at all. Most people do not. Your RV/Trailer insurance coverage "May" also cover this situation IF you have this type of insurance coverage. READ YOUR POLICY to find out!

Renter's insurance provides a basic amount of liability coverage that would extend to the unhitched trailer if you have a "Renter's" insurance policy. Renter's insurance coverage is required by most landlords of their tenants in today's world therefore there is a good chance you could have liability coverage through this policy if you rent where you live.

As is ALWAYS the situation.

READ YOUR POLICY!

If you don't understand the language contact your agent, read the policy together and have the agent explain the coverage to you. Pretty good chance this will be the first time in a LONG TIME that your agent has read the fine print in one of their companies polices!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
We insured our scamp 13 through geico. We pay $78/year for collision and comprehensive with a $500 deductible. Geico also includes emergency housing/towing insurance and vacation reimbursement insurance in the price.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Shopping for Insurance

I didn't want to double-post, but I just shared results on another insurance thread from my shopping around for insurance, which I hope may prove helpful to someone else - I completely agree with the suggestions to READ through your policy fine print. You can even ask the agent to provide sections of the policy BEFORE you make your decision.

You can read my post here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e-83101-5.html

I hope others will chime in to share their experiences and suggestions. When insurers realize the size of the vintage fiberglass market, they may start providing even better insurance options for us. We can start by sharing what we know with each other.

Happy Trails!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #26

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
In BC taken from a lawyers blog.

Is Your Trailer Insured?

The standard automobile insurance in British Columbia will cover any potential physical damage to a motor vehicle, should an accident occur while towing a trailer. However, there will be no collision or comprehensive coverage of the trailer that you are pulling behind the car. As a result, you should have an additional policy or endorsement for the trailer and items that you are towing. This can protect you financially from any claims relating to damage to the trailer, or damage caused by the trailer, resulting from an accident in which you are considered at fault.

Fortunately, car insurance policies in British Columbia do include third party liability coverage which covers the cost of any damage you may cause. If another driver were to damage your trailer as a result of an accident in which they were at fault, that driver’s third party liability insurance would likely cover the damage.

However, it is important to consider that the standard third party liability coverage will not cover an accident involving a towed trailer, where the trailer is required to be licensed and you haven’t arranged for this licensing. This exclusion will mean that no damage coverage will be available in relation to accidents caused by, or involved with, a trailer being towed behind your vehicle.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #27

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Deleted
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita