Is this a fair price on a 1984 Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Is this a fair price on a 1984 Bigfoot?

Hi again,

We found a 17' 1984 Bigfoot for $7,000 and are trying to determine fair price. The seller is firm on the price of $7,000, as is.

Seller has owned trailer for about three years. Leaking windows that have not been repaired have stained all the wood paneling around the windows and ruined the laminate. Says they are not repaired because he tarps it and has not sourced parts. Seller says there appears to be no soft spots anywhere. The trim around the windows has shrunk with age. Broken front door lock and door out of alignment but does close and seller has replacement for cracked door glass- not installed yet. Broken spring clip in the freezer door (when ours broke on our RV we immediately ordered and replaced -it was a $50.00 item). Broken awning component so awning has to be hand rolled (parts are difficult to source if non existent from what we have researched so more than likely a replacement is needed). Age of tires unknown and spare tire is shot. Condition of brakes is unknown. When bearings were last inspected and packed is unknown. Three to four inch high water staining the continuous length of the front door wall where gaucho butts up to on the left and on the right where settee is. Source unknown but once again, seller says no soft spots anywhere to be found.. All original appliances/furnace in working order. Has wet bath with hot water. Had a new axle put on some years prior to new owner. Owner says no smells except when it is closed up for a while and then all is good when aired out (I could not reconcile the water stains under the windows and by the door with not creating mold and odor but perhaps it drys out between leaks?). Exterior in good shape.

Is this the price we would expect to pay for that condition? It seems to me the current owner is just not replacing or repairing as needed since he enjoys the trailer as is and said he is offering it at a very fair price based on his research including this forum. Do we keep looking? Do we take on a fixer in a floor plan we like just incase another dos not come up?

We could have already purchased a 2006 for $13,500 in excellent condition except it has the rear across the back couch which we do not want. The side couch or L-shaped lounge is the only floor plan I like in the 17 or the 19 because the other feels too confined and the bed is too small for us or adult company.

The water leaks have left us wary. And doing the work ourselves, we expect to invest about $2500.00 right away for new tires, awning, brake work, replacement of damaged wood, window resealing, a fantastic fan since it has none, painting interior due to water stains. Cabinets are not real wood.

Seems to make more sense to wait for a newer one in the 90's for $10-13,000.....than take on the unknowns, knowing that the age means the appliances will more than likely need replacing or repair in the next five years. Am trying to not be compulsive or panic due to scarcity.
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Fair price is whatever you agree to. In this case it depends on how much work your willing to do afterward. From your description I would be very cautious and inspect it closely before I made any offer. With all those indicators there is likely a lot of hidden damage.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Myself I'd pass on that one there are just to many issues for the price, if they were simple easy cheap fixes the owner would have done them.

I see plenty of good well cared for units every year for sale in BC.
That 7,000.00 is US dollars I assume, you can get good value in BC for that kind of money.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If the seller is stuck at 7g then "fair" price is immaterial.
Is it worth that to you.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

Washington
Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
If the seller is stuck at 7g then "fair" price is immaterial.
Is it worth that to you.
Hi- Yes, that is correct and no, it is not worth that to us. I guess I would rather have no trailer and keep using the Roadtrek than a trailer that has not been well maintained. It has just been frustrating to have found four in our area that all have major deferred maintenance at prices similar to ones that have recently sold for just a wee more that have been well cared for.

And it is good to hear better condition ones do come along. So while scarce, it appears it is not entirely impossible to find a better condition one if we are patient.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
As Daniel A. says. You see them in BC every now and again. A good web site is https://www.kijiji.ca
With your Dollar worth 30% more than ours. You should be able to get a deal.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sellers have the right to ask any price they want, and be very FIRM. As buyers, we have the right to avoid such sellers. Given your description, I would avoid this seller for sure!

"Windows leak" Solution "tarp". Enough said...

36 year old trailer = 99% of the time, maintenance has been deferred. People tend to wait for total failure before doing maintenance. How a trailer has been stored when not in use is your first clue.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
No.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #9

Washington
Condition Of Older Bigfoots and Asking Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Sellers have the right to ask any price they want, and be very FIRM. As buyers, we have the right to avoid such sellers. Given your description, I would avoid this seller for sure!

"Windows leak" Solution "tarp". Enough said...

36 year old trailer = 99% of the time, maintenance has been deferred. People tend to wait for total failure before doing maintenance. How a trailer has been stored when not in use is your first clue.
Thrifty Bill, I think you nailed it with your opinion on the question I poised. of course a person can ask what they want...and of course we can decline to pay that price. Getting ourselves educated about what water intrusion can do to any RV helped us figure out how much risk, time, effort and money we would spend on any RV that needs repair.

There are terrific videos on YouTube about how to avoid a lemon RV, how to inspect any RV and also how to repair damaged RVs. How a trailer is stored places a huge role in how well it ages. Uncovered makes them prone to lots of destruction. We keep our current RV and Boat covered year long.

We don't have time for a major fixer so we are passing on them. However, for someone who does have the time and resources, a fixer might be a great opportunity.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #10

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Pass...not worth it.
I didn’t t even get past reading that water had leaked in through the windows.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I had a very clean no leaks 1997 front bed 17' that I sold for 10k to the first people who looked at it.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #12

Name: Donald
Trailer: Bigfoot 5th wheel
Colorado
Here is an alternative

12 years ago, I bought a 1988 , 20 foot, Bigfoot 5th wheel (GSVR = 3700 lbs). It had been sitting on a cliff overlooking the ocean for 2 years with the windows open and has been completely rehabbed. I would consider selling it for $9,000 and here is what you would get:

1. All windows removed, rehabbed and resealed
  2. New door
  3. New wood paneling on interior covered with carpet
  4. New custom-built cabinets in living/kitchen areas
  5. Engineered cherry wood flooring
  6. Custom-built L couch below rear window covered in expensive, red vinyl
  7. New, queen-size mattress, including memory foam topper
  8. New paint job
  9. New leaf springs
  10. New brakes, including rehab of electrical components
  11. New heat pads for fresh water, grey and black tanks
  12. Replacement of major wiring and exterior lighting
  13. New battery
  14. New, queen size mattress with memory foam topper
  15. All new appliances (water pump, refrig, cooktop, microwave/convection oven, water heater, furnace, rooftop air conditioner and television)
  16. 5th wheel hitch with custom-designed rails.

In summary, this unit may be older, but she looks and functions like she just came from the factory - maybe even better. THERE ARE NO LEAKS. Contact me if interested.
donniebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot