Is this price fair? 13' 1995 Scamp for $5500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #1

Name: Austin
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Is this price fair? 13' 1995 Scamp for $5500

Hi guys,
I know these threads are a little annoying so forgive me. I am not trying to be cheap here as I do want a nice trailer but I am uneducated so I want to be sure this one is not way off on price. I am thinking $5500 is on the high end for the year but this one does have new A/C and appears to be in very nice condition. I really want to snap this one up but just need a little encouragement. From the research I have done I know I want a scamp and I know I want 13' I also want it to have A/C and an electric fridge. A shower/toilet is not wanted so everything about this trailer fits the bill perfectly. I really dont want to spend weeks looking...I just want to camp
let me know,
Your opinions are valued!

FYI, the owner says everything is in good shape and works just like it should, no issues and always has been well maintained.

scamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
The price on used scamps is a difficult one. What is high for one person is not for the next. Really depends on the condition and how much its worth to you. Maybe someone else will have another opinion. Scamps hold a great value depending on the condition. Its just really hard to give a straight answer. Id say if its what you want and you can manage, go for it. Good luck. Looks like a great unit from the pictures. But sometimes pictures and how it looks in person is different.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
The price on used scamps is a difficult one. What is high for one person is not for the next. Really depends on the condition and how much its worth to you. Maybe someone else will have another opinion. Scamps hold a great value depending on the condition. Its just really hard to give a straight answer. Id say if its what you want and you can manage, go for it. Good luck. Looks like a great unit from the pictures. But sometimes pictures and how it looks in person is different.
Thanks for the input. I think that makes sense. It seems to me that when it comes to very well kept trailers there is little difference between and 1995 and a 2005. It looks like the biggest driver in value seems to be condition and much less age. This looks and sounds from talking on the phone to be very good so I am hoping this price is not crazy. 5500 is steep and I am hoping to get it for 5k. That is the absolute upper limit of my budget. I would like to spend 4k or so but I fear that if I am stuck at 4k I will end up waiting quite a while or getting something that may need some work.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Straight answer, that price is nearing the bottom of a thirteen in good shape If you like it,buy it. Take care of it for ten years and you'll likely be able to sell it for your purchase price
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Straight answer, that price is nearing the bottom of a thirteen in good shape If you like it,buy it. Take care of it for ten years and you'll likely be able to sell it for your purchase price
Perfect answer, thanks.

By the way, can you tell I want to buy it?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Straight answer, that price is nearing the bottom of a thirteen in good shape
Agreed, the key phrase being "in good shape". There are many factors that one cannot see from just pictures. There is great value in using the Buyers Check List in the Document Center.

A 1995 is 18 years old. The axle should have been replaced or needing one soon. Having one replaced is about $1000. It is hard to tell the need from the angle of the picture. The bed in what is normally the front washroom seems a little strange to me.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Agreed, the key phrase being "in good shape". There are many factors that one cannot see from just pictures. There is great value in using the Buyers Check List in the Document Center.

A 1995 is 18 years old. The axle should have been replaced or needing one soon. Having one replaced is about $1000. It is hard to tell the need from the angle of the picture. The bed in what is normally the front washroom seems a little strange to me.
Good points. I will refer to the guide and go over this really well.

As for the front sofa/bed is that not a factory stock configuration? I really want to avoid something that has been hacked or modified. Let me know if that looks right for the year.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Look at the layouts on the Scamp site. The interior wall with door in combination with the small front window say to me that this trailer was built for a front washroom.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The wall (plaid) and divider by the stove is not stock for a 13. Then the plaid piece going across above the couch/bed is not standard.

I agree with Roy that it looks like a front bath layout that's been modified.

You really need see it and if it's to your liking buy it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
It looks nice and IMO is worth the money. The small obscured window has me thinking it was intended to have a front bathroom but might have been ordered that way for future changes who knows.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #11

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
This is definitely not a stock layout, but all the same, it could have come from Scamp that way. They will do some custom stuff for people willing to pay for it. I think the idea of a "separate" front bedroom is perfect for a family of three.

Looking at the cabinet doors and the flooring, I'd guess, though, that this has been renovated at least to some extent. Those are not stock Scamp items. But, the front bedroom has rat fur on the walls, and it appears to match the rest of the camper, which would indicate that either the renovator was meticulous, or that it came from scamp that way. Early Scamp front-bath models had the walrus-skin in the bathroom area, but rat-fur in the front closet, so we should see a seam if the rat-fur was patched in.

I sold my '87 Scamp 13 for almost $7000 fully renovated, so if you can get it for $5000, I'd say it was a deal. By the way, crawl under and check the condition of the floor from below, just to be sure, particularly under the water tank and back window. And, according to Scamp, if you can stand your hand up sideways on top of the tire, the axle is still serviceable (roughly 3" clearance).
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
This is definitely not a stock layout, but all the same, it could have come from Scamp that way. They will do some custom stuff for people willing to pay for it. I think the idea of a "separate" front bedroom is perfect for a family of three.

Looking at the cabinet doors and the flooring, I'd guess, though, that this has been renovated at least to some extent. Those are not stock Scamp items. But, the front bedroom has rat fur on the walls, and it appears to match the rest of the camper, which would indicate that either the renovator was meticulous, or that it came from scamp that way. Early Scamp front-bath models had the walrus-skin in the bathroom area, but rat-fur in the front closet, so we should see a seam if the rat-fur was patched in.

I sold my '87 Scamp 13 for almost $7000 fully renovated, so if you can get it for $5000, I'd say it was a deal. By the way, crawl under and check the condition of the floor from below, just to be sure, particularly under the water tank and back window. And, according to Scamp, if you can stand your hand up sideways on top of the tire, the axle is still serviceable (roughly 3" clearance).
wow, thanks for the detailed feedback. I am definitely pretty puzzled about that front area now. I 100% do not want something that has been hacked up or overly modified. If someone got the divider from the factory that would be fine but if it has some homebuilt bed and all the old shower guts ripped out I would be pretty turned off. Your point about the carpeting makes it a tough call. Unfortunately this camper is about 6 hours from me so I want to be pretty confident before I make the trip. I would hate to be buying something that was supposed to be something else. Especially if there are still remnants of the plumbing still underneath what we see. That sounds like added weight with no benefit.

I am certainly really deflated after learning this but also very glad I chose to post it up here. Anyone with further info on the front "room" I would really appreciate if you could shed some light here.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #13

Florida
One other important this. Is that A/C location also not a stock location? That doesn't look like something I have seen on other scamps.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #14

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
True, another good point towards it being renovated. Scamp uses a roof-top air conditioner, but reinforces the roof at the factory to support the weight. So, adding rooftop A/C to a Scamp later is not as easy as it sounds. So, the side-mount does look like a retrofit.

I should point out that a good renovator can make the camper much better than it was when it was made, and even improve the quality of a lot of the workmanship. But, a bad renovator can doom the camper to a short and pathetic life. So, I would ask the owner some questions, and if you are satisfied with the answers, it sounds like a drive to physically look at it is in order. Print off the buyer's checklist from this site and take it with you.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamping View Post
Especially if there are still remnants of the plumbing still underneath what we see. That sounds like added weight with no benefit.
lol Austin even if it was your talking ounces of pvc and or rubber hose...not black iron pipe

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Along with price, there's also location, location, location! When was the last time you saw a Scamp in your (reasonable) driving area at this kind of price and this kind of condition? If they're a rare bird, that may motivate you a bit more... or not.

Looks like some of the plumbing is still hanging from the "bathroom" wall. I kinda like the modification. As a single traveler, there's now a full time bed (with opening window) and because some of the wall was left, it may be fairly easy to remod it back to a bathroom... or at least a toilet room... sometime in the future.

There are plenty of folks that have put in A/C, not on the roof. So while it may not be stock, it doesn't necessarily mean what was done is a bad thing. One good point, is "home" style A/C is a lot cheaper to replace than the spendy roof mounted type.

Good luck with your decision. And let us know how it goes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #17

Hmm... looking a little closer at the picture, I think maybe I do see a seam in the rat fur, about 6" to the right of the window, which would be the right location. So, I am casting my vote that this started life as a front-bath model, and got changed over when space was needed for either a third person, or when they found the double bed to be too narrow for two. I do really like the layout, though. It would have worked great for our family of three.

Donna, I think what you saw is a bungee cord hanging from the handle of the pantry door. Or did I miss something else?

Again, if these renovations were done well, they are not to be feared. It is only if they are cobbled up that it is a problem. I will say that I don't like the layout of the stock 13' Scamp, and if I bought one, the first thing I would do is take out the front bunks and replace them with a dinette. (Why doesn't Scamp offer this as a stock layout?) And, I would gladly sacrifice 6" of cabinet and counter for a 54" bed (as found in the Custom Deluxe).
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
1995 Scamp SCAMP-13 PACKAGE Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

We all know book valve doesn't mean anything, so here it is.
This camper has been heavily modified and, will need lots of work to make you own.
This is a re-fixer upper. Do yourself a favor and walk away.
( only my two cents )
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I wouldn't buy a rig without inspecting it in person first. If you plan on owning it for several years a poor decision will haunt you - every time you use it you'll be less than happy with it. I was fortunate that I could make a one day trip from Portland, Oregon to Denver, inspect, do the deal at his local bank with an inter-bank funds transfer, and fly home with title in hand.

I paid a price some would consider slightly high, but that was because the PO had already done several mods I would have done and his workmanship was excellent.........

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post

Many axles last twice that long and replacement is hardly more than half that much.
You are, of course, correct that the caveat is germane, floor condition being paramount.
I think you may be looking at an aftermarket mod which provides a private sleeping space in front...Odd,but not unheard of.
Reiterating the caveat, it must be said that resale is always a possibility. I've never had one for sale for more than 3 days before it was gone. That should mitigate any risk at purchase,of course hesitation is a risk all it's own.
Another point, never offer more than you are willing to pay.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp