I've Got Those DMV Blues! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #21

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

What is sad is how much a little tiny bit of power still corrupts.
It only takes a tiny bit of power to corrupt a tiny little mind...
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I don't know about other states, but in CA you can go to the AAA autoclub office for almost all vehicle transfers and registration activities.
This alone is worth the AAA membership fee. They are the most knowledgeable and helpful people I have ever dealt with.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...Government should be kept small and on a short leash. It's minions must be constantly reminded of their status as public servants...
Maybe this attitude by their customers is one of the reasons for the poor service being provided by the DMV employees?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree with Dave, if one sees public employees (not servants) as being minions, they will get the level of service they deserve.

minion - Wiktionary

But maybe we should leave political comments to other forums.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I agree with Dave, if one sees public employees (not servants) as being minions, they will get the level of service they deserve.

minion - Wiktionary

But maybe we should leave political comments to other forums.....
Since I am always polite and prepared, I get the best "service" of which the minions are capable. I can see that you have never worked in any "service" industry. Their behavior and professionalism is predicated on the policies of the elected officials who should be in charge and held responsible.

Despite your willingness to condone vindictive behavior, every "customer" "deserves" prompt and professional "service".

A helpful hint when dealing with governmental minions...
Never argue with a small minded man in a position of power!

As for your last sentence... Obviously you mean... except your's?!

A position which can't bear scrutiny is no position at all, it is merely blind conventionalism.
I would argue that there was no political commentary involved, but I subscribe to the fact that ALL interpersonal communication is political, no exceptions. (or should I say...)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
At 5pm, the despised "minion" is just another joe. I have no doubt a few of them have expedited the process here and there when they felt they had the leeway or the job security to do so. Also, 50 different sets of registration requirements and procedures probably hasn't helped--too many rather than too much guvmint. Bob's advice is good; let's not make this common experience with the DMV the occasion of massive generalizations about the wellsprings of good and evil. Please, with cream and sugar.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
At 5pm, the despised "minion" is just another joe. I have no doubt a few of them have expedited the process here and there when they felt they had the leeway or the job security to do so. Also, 50 different sets of registration requirements and procedures probably hasn't helped--too many rather than too much guvmint. Bob's advice is good; let's not make this common experience with the DMV the occasion of massive generalizations about the wellsprings of good and evil. Please, with cream and sugar.

jack
It's only the leadership which can be "despicable".
Minions are cute and compliant...Not to be despised!
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
As I climb onto my soap box:

I am in technical sales. I deal with people all day. Mostly on the phone. I know that my bread and butter depends on dealing with my customers in a polite and professional manner.
I have dealt with some very difficult customers. Some because they did not know what they were doing and clearly were in over their heads. In Calgary the demand for technical people is so intense that, in some cases they hire the first warm body that claims to have a clue, fluency in English is optional. In other cases, the person I am dealing with has a machine which normally makes $5000/hr, and it is not working any more. They tend to be kinda impatient at that point.
In all cases, I bite my tongue and I try to serve my customer as best I can. I know that is what I am paid to do.
I suppose I understand the impulse to antagonize the person who is being difficult, but I know that will not help. When someone becomes so jaded that they no longer can be productive in their job, it is time to find a new job.

Sheepishly climbs back down.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #29

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Funny sometimes I pull back the curtain of memory to look at some jobs I had and even high school and I hear someone in a position to influence my behavior say something like "The next one of you I see do so and so will be so and so."

My vision isn't that good any more so you can jump up and down in front of me, waggle your ears, throw spitballs. There really isn't much that you can't say here if you keep your humor and your friends keep theirs. Take a breath count to 10 ask yourself is it worth it to provoke a verbal brawl.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #30

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Once a bureaucracy in any field (government or private) is established the purpose for which it is established becomes secondary. The primary critical purpose in the function of all bureaucracies is to empower, insulate and preserve themselves.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #31

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
In my history I have been told no several times at license offices. Every time I simply went to another license office and my paperwork was accepted.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #32

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I had to have a policeman come to my house and visually inspect the vin than sign off on a form so I could get my plate. Only problem is my Casita is a 1995 and the vin is unreadable. Fortunately the cop was a camper and we chit chatted a few minutes before he went to find it, than just signed off. Glad he was a fellow camper.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #33

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Oh lord, the troubles I had when I did the car trailer. I can't wait to see what happens when I do the scamp.

First, I had the trailer for over a year (got it from mydad), but it needed work, so it sat. I finally fixed it up.

Problem 1. If the title is more than 30 days old, they freak out, and make you pay everything back to the title date. Stupid. They had no answer as to how I should have registered it when it wasn't road worthy.

Problem 2. She wanted to know the odometer reading... "there isn't one" "well, you need to get it fixed" We went in circles for 15 minutes

Problem 3. The title said Jorstad Farms, my dad signed his name...DUH! I pointed out that A. the farm was sold (how I got the trailer), and B. last I knew, farms can't sign titles... I actually had to send the damn thing back and have him sign Jorstad Farms on it, which no longer even existed, making it fraudulent in my mind, but perfect according to Kansas.

Problem 4. The inspection... The vin # was on a sticker, which was long gone, and they had no idea what to do. I found a highway patrol that inspected them, and took it to him. He actually tracked down the records with the manufacturer, and stamped the vin in my frame for me...this guy was the only good experience of all of it. For kansas people, check out Jim Stancer. He is the ONLY person that knows what is going on with this in the Wichita area, everybody else is a complete moron.

Problem 5. You don't have to have emergency brakes, but if the switch is there, they have to work... Mine didn't, as the battery was shot, and I was installing one to run the winch, and hadn't finished it yet. He let me cut the wires and remove the switch...(I put it back on when I put the battery in).

Then I went back to register it again...this time they informed me that I hadn't had a pickup licensed for 7 years (project truck). Yeah, and? You didn't declare it non-operational. Huh? You owe us 7 years of back registration and fees for not filing...came to almost $1000 for an '89 nissan. Hmm, where does it say to do that on the registration form if you choose not to register it? It doesn't say it, you just have to know it...nice.

At this point I walked out, sent letters to a few state representatives, the head of the dmv, and governors office, and told them what I thought of the whole process, and explained that in North Dakota (where I'm from), you just didn't pay it if you didn't want it licensed. When you did, you handed them $50, and licensed it again...since the Kansas form never mentioned what to do if you didn't register it, I didn't see how that was fair at all.

A month later I got a piece of paper for declaring personal property tax that showed the car trailer and old pickup on it, no note as to why. I called up and found out that all back payments had been removed, I just had to start from that date on. No idea who fixed it for me.

I finally went back and got it registered.

Dear god, if the scamp is that hard...
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #34

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Taking care of the paperwork on a new vehicle/trailer/motorcycle/whatever is job one for me- but I live in a State where you have to do so within thirty days of acquiring a road-use vehicle so I guess I'm used to it.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #35

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Here you do, also (although again, they don't tell you that anywhere). I made sure that that wouldn't be a problem this time around...I'm not paying the greedy so-and-so's for 6 months of road use, when it's torn down and can't be on the road.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Reading all the posts I think how good I have it here in Oregon. To begin with, there are no sales taxes and your first registration on a new vehicle is for 4 years(reasonable too). If you buy a car or trailer from a manufacturer, take the paper work to the DMV & they'll give you plates and mail you the title. No inspection is needed. On a used rig you do need an inspection by DMV & a signed off title.
Bill of Sale rigs may need a title search but it's easy to do and on my older cars I get a historical plate with no further plate fees after you first registration. On 49 GMC truck I restored, I was able to get the original Calf plate and hope to get the Or plate with that # so I'll put the Cal plate on the front(vanity) and the Or plate on the rear of the truck. Should be cool
jimcapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #37

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
So Brian, the big question is; how did you get your Parkliner home from the factory, I hope you didn't do what I have done and used the plate off another trailer!
Chandler issued us a thirty day temporary NC cardboard plate. I have no idea if it is valid in any of the other five states we passed through but I figured I'd just play stoooopid if questioned. In our 1400 mile round trip, we only saw a grand total of, maybe, four police cars. It is obvious that traffic law enforcement has a very low priority unless you hit something solid. Or unless they get your photo on a traffic cam, in which case they would never get the trailer plate, anyway!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I point this out when ever temporary plates come up - a quote from NY DMV:

"Important information for Massachusetts residents: Massachusetts (MA) does not recognize the NYS in-transit permit. According to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles, you can receive a ticket for no registration if you use an NYS in-transit permit in MA. This also makes the insurance on the vehicle not valid. MA authorities can impound the vehicle for no valid insurance. For more information, contact the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles" Ran into the problem when my brother (a MA resident) bought one of my vehicles...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I point this out when ever temporary plates come up - a quote from NY DMV:

"Important information for Massachusetts residents: Massachusetts (MA) does not recognize the NYS in-transit permit. According to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles, you can receive a ticket for no registration if you use an NYS in-transit permit in MA. This also makes the insurance on the vehicle not valid. MA authorities can impound the vehicle for no valid insurance. For more information, contact the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles" Ran into the problem when my brother (a MA resident) bought one of my vehicles...
Of course, since trailers require no insurance except that provided by the tow vehicle, the insurance issue is moot.
Illannoy allows time after a private sale to title and register a newly purchased vehicle, insurance can be secured over the phone if desired, which can be secured prior to registration.

I left the Scamp factory with my certificate of origin and and receipts in hand and legally towed the trailer home without any registration or title.
I have retrieved and delivered trailers all over the country(including MA)
using Illannoy rules which have always been honored.
Of course I am not a Massachusetts resident.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course, since trailers require no insurance except that provided by the tow vehicle, the insurance issue is moot.
Not true everywhere. I won't make assumptions for the rest of N.A. but in British Columbia the tow vehicle insurance does not cover the trailer.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote