License plates, differing laws - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Scamp
Here in Kansas, we're not required to have a title or license plate or anything on the 13ft eggs. For those of you in similar situations, do you ever put your tow vehicle's plate on your egg, so it's visible while towing, or do you just not worry about it?

Also, even though Kansas doesn't require anything, what about traveling through other states that have different laws?

The reason I ask:

Once while traveling through Iowa (after being pulled over for going 65MPH in a 60mph zone...JEESH! PICKY PICKY), I was told by a police officer that my window tint was over the legal Iowa limit, but that he would be a nice guy and let me off as long as it was in compliance with the state that the vehicle was registered (Kansas).

I'm under the impression that even though I was not ticketed, techincally one needs to be in compliance with every single state you're traveling through; has anybody ran into trouble with interstate traveling with thier eggs as a result of this situation?
Greg Yother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
hmm maybe he was after his monthy quota?? I find knit picky stuff like that very irritating!! At least he was nice enough not to give you any citations
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Here in Kansas, we're not required to have a title or license plate or anything on the 13ft eggs. For those of you in similar situations, do you ever put your tow vehicle's plate on your egg, so it's visible while towing, or do you just not worry about it?
I can't imagine that moving a license plate from the TV to trailer being anything but illegal.

Quote:
Also, even though Kansas doesn't require anything, what about traveling through other states that have different laws?
I did a quick look at Kansas RV laws. You might want to do a bit more research. It appears that you may be required to title and register your 13'.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #4

I see where it says that "trailers" operating under 2000lbs are exempt, but can't find anything on what constitutes a trailer versus an RV.

Can any fellow Kansas out there provide any insight?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I see where it says that "trailers" operating under 2000lbs are exempt, but can't find anything on what constitutes a trailer versus an RV.
Can any fellow Kansas out there provide any insight?
Try this link.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #6

Do you think that just a sink that drains straight out the side (no water tanks or toilet or anything) qualifies as "Provisions for plumbing" ?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
So, as a law enforcement officer in Iowa who stops you for not having plates on your 13' trailer, I have several questions.

First, How do I know where you're from if you don't have plates? Plates are required in Iowa. Second, how do you prove ownership if you have no documentation from the state in which you live, and the VIN isn't on file anywhere? That alone (without both a bill of sale and manufacturer's certificate of origin in your immediate possession) will get your trailer impounded until you or someone else can prove ownership, and that applicable road-use taxes have been paid.

This from the Kansas DOT site:

Quote:
Does Kansas require all trailers to be titled and/or registered?
In Kansas all trailers, except for two (2) types of trailers, are required to be titled and/or registered.

The exceptions are:

Farm trailers hauling 6,000 lbs. or less are exempt from title and registration. Hauling weight means the weight of any load transported by the farm trailer and does not include the weight of the trailer itself.

Trailer with an operating weight of 2,000 lbs or less may be titled and registered at the owner’s option, they are not required to be titled and registered. Operating weight means the total weight of the trailer and any load transported thereon. A trailer meeting the 2,000 lbs. exemption may be sold on a bill of sale.
While it may not be required in Kansas, you would do well to title and register the trailer. It will save you lots of time down the road. Should you ever sell it to someone out of state, other states will require it to be titled prior to transfer anyway.

You cannot title a tow dolly in Iowa either, but I always carry copies of the bill of sale and manufacturer's certificate of origin with me in my motorhome when I travel. I also have a small aluminum trailer that can't be titled that I tow my Kubota tractor on. It is, however, registered and plated with the State.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #8

All excellent points, and very "common sense". What was I thinking? I need to do a little more research and common sense reasoning before I fire off a post next time! I guess I'm getting lazy.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Do you think that just a sink that drains straight out the side (no water tanks or toilet or anything) qualifies as "Provisions for plumbing" ?
yes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
All excellent points, and very "common sense". What was I thinking? I need to do a little more research and common sense reasoning before I fire off a post next time! I guess I'm getting lazy.
Greg, thanks for bringing up the subject. There are many more people affraid to ask/talk about this subject.

Lots of good info has been brought out and I appreciate you airing the subject. Thanks.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I once saw a single Iowa State Police man pull th the head of the line (In the left lane) and pull over 5 cars that were in a string and write them all tickets for speeding

As far as plates, I would put one on. I put one of those Triangle warning signs on the rear of our camper because it appeared to me it is a requirement in Canada and I do not want the hassle should we go up there.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Like they said to Dorthy:

You're not in KANSAS any more!
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
No, Greg, it's not a problem. If you have a question, dozens of other folks have the same question too, and they may just have been too shy to ask. One of the wonderful things about forums like this is that there are folks from every walk of life who have either been in a specific set of circumstances or have an answer to questions others may not even know to ask!

I'm with Mike on this one... it's a great question that has brought out good info.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I had a similar problem when I bought my egg in Vermont. VT doesn't require title, but does require plates, on trailers less than 1,000 lbs and the frame sticker says 950 lbs. Since I have only once had my trailer registration checked, I put on my old Florida plate from my trade-in, because my VT temp plate was only good for thirty days and I knew it would take me months to get to FL. When I arrived there, I had a problem because FL defines the egg as an RV and wants a title to transfer; I finally got it done, but it was a pain.

I recommend getting title and plate. The plate will keep you from being pulled over for lack of one and the title will facilitate sale or disposal at a later time (you might be traveling out of state and find a trailer you like more than the one you now have).

In fact, folks who travel far should have their titles with them in case of accident or upgrade. Titles in the safe deposit box back home are somewhat useless...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
. I put one of those Triangle warning signs on the rear of our camper because it appeared to me it is a requirement in Canada and I do not want the hassle should we go up there.
That triangle warning sign is a first for me. Never heard of that rule up here.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
In South Carolina you can tow a unregistered trailer, just don't try to take it out of state.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I put one of those Triangle warning signs on the rear of our camper because it appeared to me it is a requirement in Canada and I do not want the hassle should we go up there.
I think they just want you to carry them in your trunk in case you have to pull of to the side of the road to change a tire, or something. I got a set from Harbor Freight in a plastic carrying case.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
get a plate and tag.

Don't tow thru California. In an odd happening this evening, I was pulled over for expired tags on my Jeep. They "appear" to have expired in February, but they are actually good until the 24th, and I have paid.. just waiting for the tags in the mail.

I showed the CHP my paperwork and he apologized and sent me on my way. He had every right to check tho.

Normally they won't pull you over for a LONG time after the month of expiration. I can just imagine what they would do if you had NO plate.. let alone valid tags.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Good Morning
I agree with Chester, There is no requirement for reflective triangles on your trailer unless you are operating a piece of farm equipment which must travel occasionally along public highways. Any agricultural equipment or construction equipment which is not registered must display a "Slow Moving Vehicle Sign" when off of private property. The beauty of registering your trailer in Alberta, is that once registered, the plate is perpetual until it changes ownership. There are no annual renewal fees.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I am sure thre may be exceptions to the rule in Iowa but generally the posted speed limit on non-4 lane or non-interstates in 55mph. what part of SPEED LIMIT was in question?
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, registration, title