Lil bit o' detective work - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Lil bit o' detective work

Found that the plate that was on the camper was original. I peeled back the corner of the registration sticker that was on the bottom of all the stickers and it was dated "74. I was surprised that it was an original registration sticker and thought "He was the original owner?!?!?" The person we got it from bought a barn that the groundskeeper left the camper in...so technically we are second registered owners, but 3rd physical owners. So I thought...if it were made in 73 and he registered it in 74 that means he bought it brand new from the dealer. Lo and behold...the plate holder...was for a Volkswagen dealership in NY! And we know that play pacs were invented by a former VW employee that thought a VW Bug needed a lightweight camper. How cool is that little find?!?!?! I did look up the dealership and tried to call them, but they went out of business in 1991 and he now lives in Florida...where the inventor lives!!!! Although I was hoping to get some info or even some paperwork (which *ahem* business records are kept longer than DMV records!! Humph!) this is a neat real life connection to the Play Pacs origins!
I love finding stuff like this!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Meghan

Good work!
I love a good detective story.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the FGRV homepage has a list of all the Manufacturers right at the very top.
Each name is linked to a page with a little information about the trailer.
BUT
If you click on "Play Pac" the page it takes you to has nothing in that space but a big ol' question mark!
No info, no history...
Maybe you could volunteer to write a few words there- I'm sure anyone interested in the brand would find that very helpful.
If nothing else, posting the info about where to find the VIN would be MUCH appreciated, as you yourself have very good reason to know.

Just a thought!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Meghan, have you read this thread? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pac-35590.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

New York
Registry
I think I have read all of it. If someone wants to put anything into a document I have stuff to add. I also have a copy of lots of Play Pac pics...most from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #5

New York
Registry
How do I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Meghan

Good work!
I love a good detective story.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the FGRV homepage has a list of all the Manufacturers right at the very top.
Each name is linked to a page with a little information about the trailer.
BUT
If you click on "Play Pac" the page it takes you to has nothing in that space but a big ol' question mark!
No info, no history...
Maybe you could volunteer to write a few words there- I'm sure anyone interested in the brand would find that very helpful.
If nothing else, posting the info about where to find the VIN would be MUCH appreciated, as you yourself have very good reason to know.

Just a thought!

Francesca
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
very cool Meghan! you are quite the detective.

i too have been accumulating all manner of Play Pac related info myself - all in a binder. a result of the lack of an unabridged owner's manual (despite our amazingly good fortune of having Steve Whysel's fantastic chronology of the Play Pac story and the 3-page owner's manual). i wish we had one of those thick ringed binders folks get nowadays.

i too have gone through every single post regarding Play Pacs and saved each and every photo - just for reference. great minds think alike eh?!

congrats again on your neat discovery! it certainly explains how much cool original stuff you have in your Play Pac. cant wait to see what you find next ...
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote