Medical coverage while travelling... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Medical coverage while travelling...

Good afternoon,
This is something that I have been wondering about for awhile.

What do you do for medical coverage while extended travelling in the USA or for that matter Canada? For instance Canadians become "snow birds" and follow the sun, leave Canada in the late fall and return early spring.

Presently, for instance, we buy travel insurance from " CAA" (Canada) that gives you medical coverage for 30 days while travellng - anywhere.
If you want longer coverage, it is a lot more expensive.- you pay for it by the day.
A friend of ours makes it a point to return to Canada every 30 days as this will "reset" the insurance clock . Others just pay? and stay. Some just chance it and hope for the best.

Insurance rates increase dramatically as you become "more senior"

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am from Alberta. At present time I am in Arizona for 3 months. My wife and I get medical coverage from a agent in Kellowna BC.Ours is called TIC Travel Insurance.We pay just under $600 for 3 months.
Don't go into the USA with out it. The gamble is not worth it. One incident and you could be bankrupt real fast.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #3

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Chester,

First off -- LUCKY YOU, Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to call around and see what the various rates are for this. At $ 3.33 per day per person, it seems relatively inexpensive.
600/2=300/90 days = $3.33 each

I agree with you. I won't go anywhere that I can't get health insurance.

I forgot to add that in order to "reset" the clock every 30 days, you have to have "proof" that you were actually in Canada and not necessarily your home insured province. I don't know what constitutes proof.
If you stay in Canada, then your 30 day coverage covers you for an unlimited time.
Max stay that you will be insured for out of Canada is 6 months(some exceptions may be granted) . Blue Cross recommends that you contact your provincial health care provider if you plan to stay away for more than 90 days.

Assuming less than 60 and healthy, rough costs are: CAA membership plus $94 yrly for 30 days coverage each person, to add on 30 more days coverage + $81, or add on 60 days coverage + $188.

If you are 60 - 64, healthy and can fill out their questionare, rates are $ 114 and $ 150 for 30 additional days. I didn't ask for the rate about 60 additional days.

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Shop around. Rates can be way out of line. I did have some horrendice quotes. The other thing which will make a difference is your health condition. Be honest in your answeres. It will pay off.