Need advice on buying a Little Joe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Annabelle
Trailer: 8' 1963 Fireball
California
Need advice on buying a Little Joe

I'm interested in buying a Little Joe trailer. So far it is the narrowest one I can find (5'8" according to Weis Craft Trailers - Little Joe Trailer Floor Plan and Specifications) and will fit well in my narrow side yard.

I wouldn't mind getting one used, but I've been looking and they don't seem to come up too often. It looks like my choices for buying one new are in Eastern Canada and Colorado, so coming from California, Colorado seems my best bet. I have never seen one in person, would it be recommended to take a trip out there before ordering one? I've seen similar trailers, so I'm tempted to skip it.

I guess I'm looking for general comments on the Little Joe, buying advice, and info on other trailers that might be as narrow. I did already read the thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rep-27947.html which was very helpful. Thanks!
Annabelle P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Annabelle, I actually got a chance to see a Little Joe in person at the Oregon Gathering this past July. Nice little trailer. Other than the fact it doesn't have the pop top, it reminded me an awful lot of the Compacts or maybe even a bit like a Lite House. What you need to remember, is the body of this brand of trailer is narrower than the axle.... the wheels/tires are on the outside of the body. So, although the body is narrower, you may want to measure the width of the outside of the tire to tire measurement
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What you need to remember, is the body of this brand of trailer is narrower than the axle.... the wheels/tires are on the outside of the body. So, although the body is narrower, you may want to measure the width of the outside of the tire to tire measurement
These are pictures I took of the Little Joe trailer at the 2010 Oregon Gathering.
I think Donna is right, the 5'8" measurement does not include the fenders.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0400.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	31109 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0401.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	31110

I was very interested in the Little Joe's predecessor, the Lite House in 1996 when that brand was built, but I could not afford a new trailer then. Instead, I bought a used Compact Jr. which has a similar floor plan, but it's wheels are within the width of the body in wheel wells.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact Jr Front Open.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	31111 Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact Jr Rear Closed.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	31112
The Little Joe is almost as tall as the Compact Jr. is with it's pop-top up. With the pop-top down, the Compact Jr. is much shorter.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Annabelle,

I met the people with the Little Joe in May at a gathering and then again at the Oregon Gathering. They live in No. Cal. also. I did a member search for you, just click on the following and you can send them a PM.

Martha H
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #5

California
That is very helpful to know that the measurement doesn't include the tires.
I'll contact Martha H., it would be great to see a Little Joe in person.
Thanks everyone!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Little Joe

Annabelle My wife and I saw the Little Joe at the Oregon gathering. From the outside our impression was "now way" could two people camp comfortably in a trailer that small. However when we saw the inside we were amazed at how "large" the inside was and are now convinced that two people could indeed camp comfortably in a Little Joe. These trailers truly "live" larger than they look. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Annabelle, I too have had the opportunity to see one in person. They are in my opinion well built for that they are, a small trailer. But like Lee said, they are very large inside. Every square inch is used with detail that makes it work. For me I wouldn't ever have one, because they don't have bathrooms, but that being said. They are cute, efficient trailers.

And yes, you are correct they don't come up for sale very often, Only seen a couple over the last few years. But that is not to say they don't. Sometimes it you just have to dig deeper and search long to find what your looking for. Best of Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Robin, they make one with a bath room: Ponderosa Luxury Compact Travel Trailer for 2 - Weiscraft Trailers
The Ponderosa. Two floor plans, front or rear bath: Weis Craft Trailers - Ponderosa Little Joe Trailer Floor Plan and Specifications

Rear model entry is through the bath room area, shower (stowaway shower base).
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Annabelle, search for a Lite House as well, only a few were made in Albuquerque, I believe. I saw one listed for sale on one of forums years ago. The way I understand it, Little Joes are made from the Lite House molds.

Anyone know about how wide a finder might be, 8" or less I would think? My small utility trailer has 7" finders. Or why not ask the people at the factory: For More Information -
Marty Weis 303-947-2351
Teneile Larry 303-859-8591
sales@weiscrafttrailers.com
Weiscrafttrailers@gmail.com

They have alway captured my eye. A nice step up from a Teardrop, but not as easy tow along as one, IMHO.

They make an almost teardrop as well, the ROUGHNECK: http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/roughneck.html
"Half a Little Joe that affords off ground sleeping and security for occupants and gear. For the outdoor adventurer, hunter, kayaker, climber or camper." Fiberglass Top at 5'3"W x 9'L x 3'T - and the wheels are under the top. Looks pretty roomy for sleeping, just can't standup.

I believe the EXT. WIDTH: 5'8" listed is the total width of the Little Joe, Top is 5'3"W; the body of the Little Joe is 5' wide, see diagram. http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/joespecs.html And it is more narrow at bottom of the Little Joe than at the top. EXT. WIDTH: 5' 8" is the width including the finders and tires, I am thinking.

Neat looking units: http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/art...roughneck.html
Not seen one in person however. What price are they asking for one?
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Anyone know about how wide a finder might be, 12" or less I would think?
According to this: Amazon.com: Pair of Round Trailer Fenders (14"-16" wheels): Automotive, these are 32"L x 9"W x 15"H

So that would make the Little Joe a minimum of 7'2" wide at the tires. I'd rather have that space inside the trailer, not outside. YMMV
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Little Joe on Craigslist

Annabelle,

There is one for sale in California, Craigslist Travel Trailer (Light Weight)

$6900

Not mine, just helping you out.
Richard,G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Anyone remember that trailer that looked like Weiscraft But were made for utility telephone companies? The owner came to the forum and said hello here. Said he might look into the RV market? I know Donna will remember the company. Thought i would take quick look at their website and see if anything came of it. But then again, that was before the economy took a tumble.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #13

California
Adrian, looks like your right, the diagram shows the body at 5', so 5'8" must be with the extending wheel wells.
Richard, thanks for the craigslist heads up!!!

I LOVE this forum!!
-Annabelle
Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Anyone remember that trailer that looked like Weiscraft But were made for utility telephone companies? The owner came to the forum and said hello here. Said he might look into the RV market? I know Donna will remember the company. Thought i would take quick look at their website and see if anything came of it. But then again, that was before the economy took a tumble.
Oh man Ken, I DO remember this. Here's Mark's post and the company was called the Pelsue Company in Englewood, Colorado: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post170998

Thanks for the reminder!!

On edit, looks like they're still in business building trailers: Vehicles - Pelsue
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
I went by the Pelsue fiberglass layup facility and their buildout area in Lamar a few months ago and it looked like they had closed the buildout building (it was completely vacant) and there was no activity at the fiberglass layup facility. I have seen several of these units and they are very solid. They would make a very good adventure or safari rig but they were very expensive and heavy.

BTW - I was looking for a facility to build out some scientific research equipment in the Lamar CO area at the time and was interested in renting the buildout building.

Pelsue is a large supplier of equipment for the communications industry so the trailers are made for heavy industrial use. I think they are just a small part of their operations.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Donna, wow amazing memory, looking at the thread it was only 2009 but I could not quite remember what company. Goes to show how good my box of rocks is rolling around upstairs ha ha. I wish there was a bow down were not worthy waynes world icon for you. Oh well, I send it to you in spirit

Orlen, thanks for the feedback. I hope the company is doing fine and just moved locations.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle P. View Post
I'm interested in buying a Little Joe trailer. So far it is the narrowest one I can find (5'8" according to Weis Craft Trailers - Little Joe Trailer Floor Plan and Specifications) and will fit well in my narrow side yard.

I wouldn't mind getting one used, but I've been looking and they don't seem to come up too often. It looks like my choices for buying one new are in Eastern Canada and Colorado, so coming from California, Colorado seems my best bet. I have never seen one in person, would it be recommended to take a trip out there before ordering one? I've seen similar trailers, so I'm tempted to skip it.

I guess I'm looking for general comments on the Little Joe, buying advice, and info on other trailers that might be as narrow. I did already read the thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rep-27947.html which was very helpful. Thanks!
A nice used "LiteHouse" would fit the bill if you can find one. You could save some cash!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Donna, wow amazing memory, looking at the thread it was only 2009 but I could not quite remember what company. Goes to show how good my box of rocks is rolling around upstairs ha ha. I wish there was a bow down were not worthy waynes world icon for you. Oh well, I send it to you in spirit
Thanks Ken, it was my pleasure to help. Until the last month, I think I had read 99% of the posts here on FiberglassRV, so I know where all the bones are buried
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I saw Wolf's Little Joe at Burney Falls last weekend. It was very well made. The trailer frame looked very sturdy and overall it had excellent fit & finish. Great details like the separate screen door and flush mount SMEV appliances, and a QUEEN bed!

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #20

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
I have a Lite House for two and from what I can tell, it's almost identical to the Little Joe. In researching the Lite House, I came across an article that said the Lite House molds were destroyed when the company went under so who knows?

The previous poster is correct; it does feel bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. I compare it to the tent in Harry Potter. I've hosted a party in mine with 7 people around the table.

The only worrisome aspect are the tiny 8" wheels. I always give them a careful inspection before starting a trip. The best thing is always being the smallest rig in the campground and getting lots of friendly attention.

Have all the fun allowed and a bit more!
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
little joe