New Casita Price Increases??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
New Casita Price Increases???

We are planning on buying a Casita from the factory. However, I am not paying for it to be delivered (might as well make a trip out of the pickup!), and am nervous about driving cross county (Ohio to Texas) to pick it up in the current COVID era. I was told ordering now would be 4-4.5 months before pickup. That puts us in the October-November timeframe. I don’t want a winter pick-up in case of a nasty storm. So it is either order now or shoot for a spring 2021 pickup.

Sooo… my questions are actually about prices. Right now it says a deluxe starts at $21K. The price sheet they sent me says that is the sale price and they normally start at $25K. Is that true, or do they typically always run this special?

Also, when do they typically raise their prices during the year? And how much of an increase is it typical?

I would rather plan on a spring of 2021 pickup, but not if prices are going to jump a few thousand dollars.

p.s. I am looking for the third party answers this forum can supply, but I have a the same questions directly sent to Casita.
Andy Avram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #2

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
The sale is always on. The prices tend to go up a few hundred dollars each year. Do not sweat it - do what you feel is right - the money is not going to be that much different. We bought new in 2015 - completion date was 10/21/15 - it was considered a 2015 model year so the 2015 pricing was in effect. The 2016 model was started in late November that year if I recall correctly and that came with a few hundred dollar price increase. Each year they decide near the end what the cut off date is for each model year and what the price increase will be. Also keep in mind each year they add features that make it worth the difference. They are up front an honest about everything - no worries at all. If they promise a delivery date you can count on it. They deliver a maximum of 4 trailers a day so be sure to decide when you want to take delivery. We picked our delivery date 6 months earlier when we ordered - we ordered early and made sure we could get 10/21/15 as a delivery date even though we could have had it much sooner as the backlog was about 3 months then. There is always a backlog. Be very careful with your option selection to get exactly what you want.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #3

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I think it will be safe to say the worrying about weather will probably be on your end because in the Dallas area, we usually don't get our first hard freeze until late Nov. And then it will be short lived.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #4

Ohio
bsedwebt, thanks for that. It is was I suspected, but have only been checking out the prices for a month or so. I do find it weird that if I order today for a spring pickup that the price can change on me by the time pickup arrives.

dmad1, yeah, I wasn't too worried about Texas, or even most of the drive, however I live in the showbelt (just the top few NE counties in Ohio) and we can just as easily have huge blizzards in November as sunny and gorgeous weather. However, a winter trip doesn't sound fun since I've never towed anything taller than my vehicle before (just popups and utility trailers with machinery).
Old 06-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The key to winter towing is timing. If you have enough time, you can wait until the weather improves and leave Texas then. This past winter, we did our January trip to Utah. The prior year, we took the far southern route, way out of the way, driving down to Mobile, then taking I-10 across the US, to Phoenix, then up to SW Utah.

This year I was determined to take a northern route, I-70. We ended up staying in Golden, CO a few extra days on the way out, then picked a sunny day where the roads were dry, and crossed the Rockies.

Watching the weather closely, adjusting your route, and timing are all important. But you need flexibility time wise to work such a plan. The key for me was sunny, clear roads. Cold was not so much an issue. Colorado DOT has cameras across the I-70 route, where you can see live feeds of actual road conditions. Other states do this too.

One year while living in Atlanta, we decided to drive home to northern Illinois for Christmas. The only snow we saw on the road that trip was on our driveway in Atlanta! Weird for sure.

Now if it is going to stress you out worrying about weather, forget it. Its not worth it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #6

Ohio
Thrifty bill,

We would be doing this on a very limited timeframe so would have to push through regardless. And the most likely spot to hit bad weather would likely be the last 100 miles to home (but it can get ugly). I have travelled in lots of bad weather (a 2 day ice storm coming back from Florida was the worst), but mostly, I just don't want my learning curve with a higher profile trailer to also have to contend with snow. I have also driven to northern Minnesota in February..

Once I am more comfortable with the rig for future trips there will be much less concern about winter towing. Just not the trip to purchase it and drive it home!
Old 06-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #7

Registry
Yes, on a tight schedule I would not risk it! Too much pressure!
Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Prices can change because after you ordered the prices for their materials can change and the cost of labor can change as can the overhead cost. In recent years we have seen lots of short notice increases on chemicals as well as the steel used for the framing. Plus lots of components that are needed are still being made overseas. Of course transportation to get all those materials to the trailer factory are increasing. Business insurance rises, labor cost rises, rent increases, etc.

The companies that are not going to immediately fill an order with stock on hand really do need to have the option to increase the final price to cover cost increases that are beyond their ability to control.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Neither Scamp nor Escape do that, as far as I know. The price on the purchase contract when you make your deposit is the price on delivery. Unlike small volume custom and semi-custom manufacturers they stock parts and supplies many months out. I’d expect Casita to be the same.

No? Has anyone had the final price change between deposit and delivery (buyer requested changes excepted, of course)?

They do anticipate model year changes far in advance. For example I think new Scamp orders now are for 2021 models, and they include a model year price increase. But they tell you that upfront.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:22 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can order and pick up to a year latter. Price will hold. Call factory to be sure. Wait time is more than 3 months
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #11

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by James V View Post
You can order and pick up to a year latter. Price will hold. Call factory to be sure. Wait time is more than 3 months

Not according to my emails back and forth directly with Casita. I even asked for confirmation from them that if I order now and pickup in the spring the price might increase and their response was, and I quote, There is a possibility of a higher price if you order for a Spring pick-up/delivery date."
Old 06-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good to know. Good luck
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #13

Registry
Phone call always beats email or text. I’d have a live conversation with them.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #14

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
I wonder

My experience with Casita sales was basically very good. Our situation was this, I had a highlander and a scamp 13, it worked, the wife however hated the no shower/bath room. We got a deal on a tundra 4.6l and now we could handle the casita deluxe tongue weight, this was sometime in february 2014, casita had a 3000 dollar off sale and I wonder if they do that every winter when its slow.

Do any of the forum group know? It certainly makes it easy to get what your want installed, those options are pricey
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #15

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
The Casita SALE price is ALWAYS on. The "retail price" is what it would cost at a "dealer" and there are NO Casita dealers - they sell factory direct. It is just an advertising tool.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 AM   #16

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
I doubt that, I should just unsubscribe but then I would miss all the things that go in with this site
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita