Out of Province Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Trillium
Oregon
Out of Province Trailer

Hello folks,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with picking up a trailer from another province, and bringing it home?

I know I can call the Registry of the respective provinces, I will tomorrow, but kind of eager to have some knowledge prior to it.

Here is my situation.

Currently living in Alberta, just sold my 76 Trillium, and now going to Manitoba this weekend to pick up a different 76 Trillium.

Can I still use my same plates, because it is within 14 days? Or do I need to register it in the other province (Manitoba) before I can head back to Alberta with it?

Thanks for any input. I'll add in the comments I get back tomorrow when I talk with the Registry agents.

Cheers,
Dennis
Dennis_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I purchased my first Trillium, a 4500 in Saskatchewan. I had to get a temporary registration, something like $20 to take it back to Alberta.

As far as know, trailer registrations are not transferable in Alberta, but I could be wrong.

Did you tell the new owner of the, formerly yours, blue trailer, about us here at FiberglassRV.com?

Do tell us about your new trailer. Any pictures?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Dennis
Here's the link to Service Alberta Service Alberta: Registering a Vehicle or Trailer
It's similar to what we did when we arrived in QC from BC. Had to have the trailer inspected before registering in QC.
Let us know what AB says about the temporary plates.
Phil
Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 AM   #4

Oregon
Thanks guys,

I will be contacting both the Alberta and Manitoba registry for confirmation today.

From what I had previously read it was to secure a temporary registration in province of purchase, before heading home.

I did tell the new owners about the forum, and really recommended they check them out for any questions and help. I'm hoping they are able to give the lil blue trailer the TLC it needs to make it shine again.

As soon as I pick up my new trailer I will post some pics. Going to be a quick turnaround of out on Friday and home again Sunday. I imagine the family will be a little tired

Cheers,

Dennis
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #5

Oregon
As per above.

Trailer registration is not transferable in Alberta.

A temporary permit is required when picking up in another province. There are different Grace periods for registering in each province as well.

It's odd, you go to the registry in Alberta and a Broker in Manitoba, private insurance in AB, and public insurance in MB.

It just so happens there is an insurance broker, in the town where I will be picking up this new Trillium, on Saturday, and they are open for 3 hours. A nice window of time, as long as the rest of the trip goes as planned.
$35 for a 5 day temporary permit.

The registry informed me that if I could produce the Bill of Sale and TOD (transfer of ownership document), before going I could get my plates and just put them on when I picked up the trailer.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_S View Post

The registry informed me that if I could produce the Bill of Sale and TOD (transfer of ownership document), before going I could get my plates and just put them on when I picked up the trailer.
Dennis,

That's what we did when we picked up the Escape in BC (living in BC).

Sounds like you don't have to have the trailer inspected in AB then? If so, that's good. La Belle Province made us have inspections on the trailer and the car at $100 a pop before registering them here

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure in picking up the trailer.
Phil
Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Congrats Dennis. Did you buy the Trailer from the lady in Lorette, MB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_S View Post
Hello folks,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with picking up a trailer from another province, and bringing it home?

I know I can call the Registry of the respective provinces, I will tomorrow, but kind of eager to have some knowledge prior to it.

Here is my situation.

Currently living in Alberta, just sold my 76 Trillium, and now going to Manitoba this weekend to pick up a different 76 Trillium.

Can I still use my same plates, because it is within 14 days? Or do I need to register it in the other province (Manitoba) before I can head back to Alberta with it?

Thanks for any input. I'll add in the comments I get back tomorrow when I talk with the Registry agents.

Cheers,
Dennis
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Picked up our trailer in BC. Was bringing it back to Quebec. Our main problem was that we wanted to tour for a few weeks before heading back. The biggest sticking point was insurance. Finally ended up registereing and insuring in BC and transfering registration and insur when we returned to Quebec. The ussual one time Quebec safety inspection was required but otherwise all went smooth. We did consider leaving the BC registration and insurance on it but deceided that it might cause problems later, eg crossing US border.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Thanks folks, I feel much better about having too much bureaucracy where I live.
To buy from another state, all I have to do is go get it, bring it home, take the open title to the SOS office and order a title and plates.
No inspection, no insurance required.(liability is attached to the tow vehicle)
Sometimes though, I feel that all I need to do is look north(with trepidation) to feel like Jeannie Dixon!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Dave, you can transfer the plates between trailers in Alberta, at least we did when we sold the Ventura and got the Casita. No inspection was required on ours even though it came from North Dakota (over 15 years old).

As for transporting it , I tried to find out if a temp permit from North Dakota was valid in Saskatchewan and Alberta but nobody could tell me so I just went for it and drove it home.

We went in with the RIV paperwork from the border and transferred the plates, no questions asked.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin