Pricing between 16' and 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Havusa
Washington
Registry
Pricing between 16' and 13'

Hey,

So I've been looking at buying a used trailer for a while now, finally got the trailer hitch ordered and installed the wiring harness last night... Since I'm currently a student my buying power is relatively low, around 3-5K if I really squeeze and save up expenses.

however I've been a little confused by some of the listing prices...

Why do 16' trailers tend to be cheaper? I've noticed they hover in the 6-10K range while 13' tends to be 9K-18K.

Is this just a case of supply and demand? or is there another reason for this price discrepancy?

Thanks,
David
BoomStick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #2

Washington
Registry
Yeah, I saw that one... unfortunately I only have 2K in cash right now, the last gig i worked still hasn't fully paid me and my hitch arrives Friday. Don't think it'll last on the market that long! (plus I'm in school 7:30-4pm M-Th... trades schools got a hard schedule...)

unless you think its worth messaging him anyways..?
Old 09-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If I had $2,000 in cash, I would not spend it on a luxury discretionary item like a boat, camper, or motorcycle. Such discretionary items are best bought when it has little to no impact on the family budget.

Realize any $4,000 (or less) molded FG is going to require work, that will require spending more money. Heck, I paid quite a bit more than that for my 1977 Trillium, and it required work. Some was mostly my labor (free, sort of), some was spent on parts such as battery, power center, wheels, tires, butyl tape, fiberglass repair materials, paint, rust converter, etc.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #4

Washington
Registry
At the moment I commute 3-4 hours across the state to work the other half of the week. I'm currently rooming with my in-laws on those days in a *barely* habitable trailer house. I'd rather purchase a trailer I can live in during that time for half the week rather than keep staying in that place...

I know it'll take work, but I'm willing to put the time and effort into making it nice. (plus even a fixer trailer with no frame problems or leaks would be 100x better than that trailer house).

It's more of an investment than a luxury item.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
I wouldn't buy a used 13' fgrv for 9K + unless it were in superb condition! It's super important when buying a fgrv to SEE it, as photos & description never depict how crummy it is inside. Also, in my mind anything longer than the 12' I currently have would only be worth the hassle if the the extra 2' were a toilet-shower!
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomStick01 View Post
Hey,

So I've been looking at buying a used trailer for a while now, finally got the trailer hitch ordered and installed the wiring harness last night... Since I'm currently a student my buying power is relatively low, around 3-5K if I really squeeze and save up expenses.

however I've been a little confused by some of the listing prices...

Why do 16' trailers tend to be cheaper? I've noticed they hover in the 6-10K range while 13' tends to be 9K-18K.

Is this just a case of supply and demand? or is there another reason for this price discrepancy?

Thanks,
David
Hmmm... I'd love to see a 16' trailer in the $6-10K range that isn't a project.

That said, I do agree older 13'ers tend to cost around the same and occasionally more than a 16'er of similar age and condition (and typically have fewer amenities). As you say, reason is supply and demand (mostly demand, because on the supply side there are more 13'ers out there). People with smaller tow vehicles want the smaller trailer. The smaller trailers are simpler to rehab. The smaller units also have a "cute" factor that's not quite there in the 16'ers.

Among late model units, the better-equipped 16'ers seem to command a premium.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote