Question about AARP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Question about AARP

AARP has begun sending me membership request. A friend has now begun getting the same request, so we were talking about it and both wondered if it's worth joining?

I told her I would find out. Figure someone here will know. My only issue is, by joining am I creating a junk mail nightmare for myself?

What benefit is it to join? Other than getting more junk mail for supposed insurance deals, car loan deals, etc, etc, etc?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
They had the best deal on Medicare Part "D" coverage for my partner.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
AARP is first, and formost, an Insurance Company.

It was the AARP, acting as the "Voice of the retired community" at Medicare planning sessions, that created the entire need for Medi-Gap insurance, of which they sell a lot.....

Being over 50 is a guarantee that you are on their mailing list. Their card is worth having if only for the discounts it will get you but, you will see an increase in mail flow.

But think of that as doing your part to help the Post Office stay in business.
I keep a trash can next to the mail box to forward that kind of mail.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
AARP enables a lot of discounts at campgrounds, shopping and if you take their driver course, a discount on your auto insurance.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We use the benefits at motels and campgrounds quite frequently. The amount of junk mail is minimal for us. The cost is something like $17 a year or so.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We were in 3 years and never found anything that would benefit us but this was in our earlier 50's. I got SO tired of all the junk mail. It seems the benefits were a little too "upscale" for our taste as we are frugal and have always shopped around for everything. Once in, we found it difficult to pull the plug on them too!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Without being specific, I don't care for their politics/lobbying position so I won't send them money. I can get pretty much the same discounts from AAA.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Joined once, many years ago. Like Steve, I too don't care much for their politics/lobbying either, but most of all, I really got tired of all the junk mail they deemed "important" to send me. I quit them after my first year and never regretted it either. I never found anything they offered to be something I needed or wanted. Not much more than an address list for junk mailers to glom onto in my opinion. FWIW
Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I received a private email questioning my opening statement in post #3.

While the core AARP is now recognized as a non-profit, it is directly connected to several insurance companies and has a well know Hx for supporting ins company interests. As recently as 5 years ago it reported over $650 million dollars in income from insurance related royalties, and that doesn't include the profits those ins comapnies made from customers referred by AARP ads and connections.

Currently they are supporting the future privatization of Social Security ala "W's" plan, I suppose that would then give then that many more annuity and retirement policy customers to buy retirement related policies.

Yes, they offer a number of discounts and benefit programs, but the bottom line is still the bottom line earnings figures for it's related ins company ties......

Read through this and many other on-line posts if interested/doubting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARP

Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I started getting their JUNK in my 40's.
I'll be 63 next month and I still get their JUNK.

I've checked their insurance rates and they have always
been a lot higher than I have. For me it's a waste of money
and money spent on mostly politics I'm completely against.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Oh, I forgot about their politics! I am still more than capable of thinking for myself!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
AARP is first, and formost, an Insurance Company.

It was the AARP, acting as the "Voice of the retired community" at Medicare planning sessions, that created the entire need for Medi-Gap insurance, of which they sell a lot.....

Being over 50 is a guarantee that you are on their mailing list. Their card is worth having if only for the discounts it will get you but, you will see an increase in mail flow.

But think of that as doing your part to help the Post Office stay in business.
I keep a trash can next to the mail box to forward that kind of mail.

About AARP

AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization for people age 50 and over.
AARP is dedicated to enhancing quality of life for all as we age. We lead positive social change and deliver value to members through information, advocacy and service.
AARP also provides a wide range of unique benefits, special products, and services for our members.
These benefits include AARP Web site at AARP - Health, Travel Deals, Baby Boomers, Election News, Over 50, Online Games, Retirement Plan, "AARP The Magazine," and the monthly "AARP Bulletin."

Medicare and SS would be gone if it wasn't for AARP lobying.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
There are other places on the internet to discover and discuss the specifics and merits of AARP's political positions and insurance industry ties. The moderating team believes Robin's question has been answered by several differing viewpoints and this discussion is now closed.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Reopened to allow one final post sent directly to the moderators
AARP Thread
I was reading the thread on AARP. I think it was premature for you to close the thread. It would have been enough to say "let's end the talk about politics of AARP".

I wanted to add a positive comment as follows. "I am delighted to be a member of AARP as they send a quality newsletter and magazine that address the needs of those 50+. You can easily ignore what does not relate to you. In addition, I am a proud volunteer with the organiztion affiliated with AARP called Experience Corps. We are highly trained older volunteers who are placed in public schools to assist children in English literacy. I cannot say enough that is positive about Experience Corps and would encourage others to consider joining as a volunteer."

Perhaps there is another way to moderate the FGRV site rather than abruptly closing the conversation. I'd like to hear your reasoning behind your move.

I am sending this note to all the moderators because I don't know who made the decision.

Thank you for listening. I do enjoy participating in the forum.

Sincerely,
Gilda (Jill-da)
Closed Thread