Registering and Insurance in Canada - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
ericmarlo's Avatar
Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Posts: 80
I am off today to go register my SurfSide and in speaking with an insurance rep. here in my town he made it sound like all I had to do was tell him my model number ie. The year 1977 and the length of the trailer and the approx. weight.
Based on that he could determine what it would cost to have the trailer registered and insured. He also asked me what type of amount Id want it insured for. He told me for a 1977 Triple E Surfside 14ft model. Dry weight 1650 lbs and for $5000 coverage, it would cost $102 annually for registration and insurance Cdn $.

My question to you all is Should I ask to have the value increased to $10,000 ? or even more ? What are others doing? My situation is through Manitoba Public Insurance, So I am not sure if other provinces are the same or how things are valued in the States.

ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
Trailer: Bigfoot
Posts: 604
I would insure your Surfside for what it is worth. There seems to be little point to over-insuring. Autopac tip - make sure your liability coverage is increased if you are going out of province, and especially if you head to the States. (Manitoba has a maximum liability, and as a result, the default coverage is also minimal).
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
Brian B-P's Avatar
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Posts: 5,001
Both registration and insurance are highly dependent on province.

Here in Alberta, there is no government insurance, so you can choose whatever level you want - including zero. The tow vehicle's policy covers liability, so trailer insurance is only for collision or comprehensive damage coverage. My insurer did want a road fitness inspection, but use of a trailer which you don't normally tow (e.g. rented) is still covered for liability, without being specifically listed with the insurer. I have to question the benefit of paying any significant premium to insure something which can be replaced entirely for a few thousand dollars, and for which small claims would not be covered due to the likely deductible, but that's an individual situation to assess.

Registration here is a one-time fee for a permanent plate, at trivial expense, with no inspection requirement.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Shawn Englehart's Avatar
Name: Shawn
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 60
Different provinces have different regulations, here in Ontario, registration is a one time fee, once plated you only have to change your address when you moved. In New Brunswick, the license fee is yearly along with a yearly Inspection the same as a motor vehicle (Ontario has a one time inspection also when you first purchase a vehicle, but now requires an emissions test every 2 years). As for insurance here, I am covered when towing with my vehicle insurance at no extra charge. When disconnected at home or when out and about, I have $5000 coverage attached to my home owners policy for about $100 (cannot remember, renew in November). You have to watch for insurance and over coverage, I have seen a few insure a $5000 item for $10000 and then made a claim, the insurance company only paid the value of $5000 stating that is all it was worth after the adjustor appraised it, have seen this with vehicles and homes. I would go with what it is worth and more or less the replacement value as insurance is to get you back to where you started before your loss, not ahead. Further, the $5000 I have mine insured for was the minimal they would insure it for, I only paid $1000 for the Scamp which I told them but that it was worth more after the restoration and that the replacement value was $5000. For the restoration, I had to tell them I was restoring it back to original as anything else would be custom and not insurable.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
Senior Member
Joe MacDonald's Avatar
Trailer: Trillium
Posts: 976
Northern Ontario is still exempt from the emissions test, and I find fewer oil burners up here than in Southern Ontario
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

license, registration, title

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
insurance Horst K. Money Matters 9 05-01-2009 10:47 AM
Getting insurance Lex M Money Matters 19 03-28-2009 02:36 PM
The continuing saga of registering the trailer... Bobbie Mayer Money Matters 43 04-14-2008 07:53 PM
Medical insurance in Canada vs US Legacy Posts General Chat 8 08-09-2003 10:05 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.