Registering scamp in another state. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
South Carolina
It is indeed confusing! We live in SC and sold our only property(house) and will soon start full timing with no idea where we will go. We will be back to SC for a couple of months for our medical needs but will otherwise be out and about all across the country. With an account at a local UPS store we just changed addresses with DOT, DOV, county and all bill sending entities and are hoping we get them all to send bills to our box and pay accordingly. The automobile and trailer registrations seem to be satisfied with the UPS address and insurance did want to know were we would be (zip code) for the majority of time. The only thing we haven't been able to figure out is where to vote! So we will travel on and hope for the best, insurance coverage being our priority

johnwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #22

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
The issue you may have is with the state you move from. Some states audit peoples bank transactions for gas and groceries to make sure you say out of the state at least 181 days out a year. One state is reported to monitor your cell phone tower pings. You want to cut all ties with your old state, they want to continue to tax you. You would register to vote in your new state and vote by mail. Also If you have had a vehicle less six months you may be required to pay sales tax or a portion of your sales tax to the new state. Everything depends on the rules of each state.
Eddie

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
...One state is reported to monitor your cell phone tower pings. ...
Please provide further info on these "reports." I know for a fact that even law enforcement has to go through quite a bit of effort to track someone thorough their cell phone "pings" so I have to question the reports of tax collectors doing it. And if its true, then the ACLU has a new case to work on.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #24

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
The high tax (HT) states are loosing a lot of citizen taxpayers to lower tax states at a very high rate. The HT states are looking at people who change citizenship to the lower tax states especially people who still retain some type of presence (ex. property ownership) in the HT state. The big targets of these investigations are snowbirds who are audited and investigated for possible tax fraud. The HT states will check your bank credit card records as part of these investigations I'm sure they use proper procedure. It was recently reported on a national news report that a northeast HT state is now monitoring cell phone tower pings to check for physical presence in the state as part of their investigations. I know of two people in my state who were audited and investigated. The state proved they were not out of the state for over 180 days of a year and they were required to pay income tax to the state for the subject year. State laws vary, I highly recommend you visit your commissioner of revenue or state tax department and review the tax laws before moving to the lower tax state. I suspect the state citizenship change flags a tax audit then if you can't prove you were out of the state for the required period then you are investigated for tax fraud.
Eddie

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp