Registering scamp in another state. - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Scamp
Trailer: Saving for a scamp
Illinois
Registering scamp in another state.

I've been wanting a scamp for years and it looks like this year may finally be the year I get it. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue though. I live in chicago but own property at a campground in indiana where my scamp will be parked all the time unless I have it out. It will probably never set foot in chicago. I dont have an address for the campground lot since its not a permanent residence so Im wondering if I can register the scamp in indiana instead of illinois. I'm obviously going to call around and ask the best way to do it but curious if anyone knows the law on this? Cant call the dmv until monday to ask. Thanks

Jets27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Registration of vehicles is usually based on where the vehicle is garaged/lives most of the year. I am a snowbird and own property in both states. I have vehicles and trailers registered and garaged in my winter state (non permanent home). The registration paperwork is mailed to me in my home state. The only issue for me is the vehicles are insured where they are licensed and in my winter state insurance is quite a bit more expensive. Once the vehicle is moved and garaged in another state you are given a short period of time to re register your vehicle.(Usually one or two months.) This is just my experience. I would check with the Indiana DMV in your case. I'm sure your home state wants to tax your trailer and want it registered with them. YMMV
Eddie

Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
One of the questions an insurer will ask is, "where is the trailer stored". I believe insurance will cost less if the trailer is stored where you live ( ie. home ).
Old 02-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #4

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Two words: South Dakota.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Two words: South Dakota.

haha I'm guessing something to do with not paying taxes there. I'm not trying to avoid paying taxes, indiana would be cheaper for me it seems but I really want to figure out what state it needs to registered in. Like I said it will be in indiana except when I'm travelling, on property I own. I will make some calls monday and figure it out but the dmv nearest me isn't always the most knowledgeable about their own laws.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #6

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Generally, it will be registered and taxed where it is "housed". This is pretty common with snowbirds, so I have seen the question/answer many times. People trying to play the tax avoidance games often run into trouble by cheating/making false statements, otherwise, I haven't seen anyone have issues.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I did just what you are looking to do, I live in NC but still own property in IN. When I registered my Amerigo in Indiana the DMV required 3 different forms of verification so I brought in my property tax bill (with the address), a current utility bill and the registration to an old truck I still had that was registered in Indiana.
That was 4-5 years ago so check with the dmv to see if that is still their requirements.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Illinois
Thanks for all the advice, looks like I shouldn't have a problem registering in indiana. Tax is slightly cheaper and registration fees are a lot cheaper if I'm reading it right. I will call monday and ask for sure, just getting excited thinking about it. Ordering a new scamp 13, hopefully by summer if everything goes well.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Insurance & Registration Games

I live in Ohio and register & insure my vehicles & TT in Ohio. Reading this thread, I am wondering on how the “game” might work for a couple of you…..

Here in Ohio, when you purchase a vehicle/trailer the process to obtain a title involves a trip to the county Clerk of Courts office which involves proof of address. Then, when you register a vehicle/trailer you present your driver’s license, vehicle title and also divulge/confirm your address to the deputy registrar who then issues you a registration “certificate” and license plate(s) using Bureau of Motor Vehicle (BMV) systems . To obtain (the state required) insurance, you divulge the vehicle’s VIN to the insurance company along with your name & address and the insurance company, in turn, issues you a small card to be used as proof of insurance. Insurance companies (usually) verify the VIN and its associated data against the BMV systems. Should you have the “opportunity” to have a conversation with a law enforcement official , they will ask for your driver’s license, your registration and proof of insurance all of which they correlate and, if necessary, verify .

In Ohio, the BMV mails renewal paperwork that is required when you renew your vehicle’s registration. They do not send a “reminder” when it’s time to renew your driver’s license. However, both renewals require a trip to a Deputy Registrar’s office where they do a human-to-human confirmation on your mailing address.

So, my questions are:
  1. How do you obtain a title for a vehicle when you don’t have a mailing address?
  2. Then, if that’s possible, how do you obtain registration?
  3. Finally, how does the periodic renewal process work if there is no method for them to contact you?
Just wondering…...
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #10

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
Each state has their own DMV rules.
You use your regular mailing address, it is used to receive renewal info. even if is out of state. In both states I deal with, they want to know what county the vehicle is garaged. Since only one state will issue a drivers license to you, you use your tax bill to prove your interest/location in the second state when doing business if you don't have an address in the second state.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Each state has their own DMV rules.
You use your regular mailing address, it is used to receive renewal info. even if is out of state. In both states I deal with they want to know what county the vehicle is garaged. Since only one state will issue a drivers license to you, you use your tax bill to prove your interest/location in the second state when doing business if you don't have an address in the second state.
Eddie

This is the part that confused me with not having a permanent address, I do have my tax bill and electric bill for the second property so hopefully thats enough. Ill post back here after I call with what the dmv tells me though.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here is another possible issue; does either state require an annual safety inspection? Here in NY trailer registrations have to be renewed every year, by the end of December, or if we choose to, we can wait until part way through the year and renew at a reduced rate (people do this with campers and boat trailers). New York requires an annual safety inspection and when renewing the registration we have to sign off that the inspection is current. Of course the inspection has to be done at a licensed inspection station so the trailer has to be taken there. I know some states don't require yearly inspections so that may be something to consider here. New York hasn't been too fussy about trailer inspections yet, but we can not renew a vehicle registration if the inspection is not current.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
I live in Ohio and register & insure my vehicles & TT in Ohio. Reading this thread, I am wondering on how the “game” might work for a couple of you…..

Here in Ohio, when you purchase a vehicle/trailer the process to obtain a title involves a trip to the county Clerk of Courts office which involves proof of address. Then, when you register a vehicle/trailer you present your driver’s license, vehicle title and also divulge/confirm your address to the deputy registrar who then issues you a registration “certificate” and license plate(s) using Bureau of Motor Vehicle (BMV) systems . To obtain (the state required) insurance, you divulge the vehicle’s VIN to the insurance company along with your name & address and the insurance company, in turn, issues you a small card to be used as proof of insurance. Insurance companies (usually) verify the VIN and its associated data against the BMV systems. Should you have the “opportunity” to have a conversation with a law enforcement official , they will ask for your driver’s license, your registration and proof of insurance all of which they correlate and, if necessary, verify .

In Ohio, the BMV mails renewal paperwork that is required when you renew your vehicle’s registration. They do not send a “reminder” when it’s time to renew your driver’s license. However, both renewals require a trip to a Deputy Registrar’s office where they do a human-to-human confirmation on your mailing address.

So, my questions are:
  1. How do you obtain a title for a vehicle when you don’t have a mailing address?
  2. Then, if that’s possible, how do you obtain registration?
  3. Finally, how does the periodic renewal process work if there is no method for them to contact you?
Just wondering…...

Larry,

No "game" from my perspective, it was just simplicity. I bought the TT in IN, it had an IN title and since I have a mailing address/property in IN I didn't see the need to transport it 900 miles just to get a title/registration in NC. No real savings $$$ wise as registration & taxes are roughly the same in either state.

Insurance is covered by my tow vehicle, insurance agent says there no problem w/it being registered as it is and I don't know of any LEO who would pull me over for it being registered this way. If that were the case they'd be pulling about every U-Haul trailer over since they almost always have an out of state plate on them.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #14

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I believe only the liability portions of your insurance is under your vehicle. If it's wrecked or stolen, I don't think you have any coverage.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #15

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets27 View Post
This is the part that confused me with not having a permanent address, I do have my tax bill and electric bill for the second property so hopefully thats enough. Ill post back here after I call with what the dmv tells me though.
Those two pieces of paper should work as proof. They do like government paperwork as well as paperwork from utility companies. As long as the actual property address is on those bills along with your name it should work as proof. But you need to verify that it can be done by reading the rules of the state you want to register in in.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #16

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I believe only the liability portions of your insurance is under your vehicle. If it's wrecked or stolen, I don't think you have any coverage.
You are correct in the coverage. If you want insurance on the trailer for theft, wrecks, tree falling on it, etc you have to buy the insurance. If attached to your vehicle and you have a wreck then the vehicle insurance covers any damage to other property that your trailer causes. Your insurance company may need to know about the trailer still.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Arkansas
As another said South Dakota is your best bet -- this is where many of those who live on the road and do not have a permanent address license their property. A plus is that taxes are low -- there is no income tax, low sales tax, and I believe there is no personal property tax at all on RVs.
spollack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #18

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets27 View Post
Slightly different situation, but likely the same process... I do not live in in Indiana, but successfully (after three trips to the BMV) registered a used vehicle that I bought in Indiana a couple weeks ago. I manage our family farm in IN, so I am legally tied to the address. The local IN BMV required me to have the original title, and show my actual SS card, certified birth certificate, two recent proofs of my IN address (the local office told me that “anything” with my address would do) and my out of state DL.
rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Two things you should consider, I registered mine in Chicago, it was used and there was no sales tax on a used camper. Not so for a new one. Also, the registration was $18 although as of Jan 2020 it's now $118. So look into Indiana sales tax and sticker pricing.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #20

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
I paid 7% IN sales tax, registration and title fees. Here is a link to IN BMV fees.

https://www.in.gov/bmv/files/fee-chart.pdf

rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp