Reserveamerica.com double billed me. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Reserveamerica.com double billed me.

After trying for almost a month and a half trying to book a water front site at an extremely popular campground, I finally snagged one. After completing my purchase on reserveamerica.com I got not one, but two routine notifications from my bank of the charge. I checked my credit card account online and saw duplicate charges pending. Assuming they would sort it out, I waited until the credit card charge showed completed, then I located the contact form and emailed reserveamerica. Their reply (in part) was:

I apologize that you are showing a duplicate charge for the reservation that you had made. We are aware of the system charging twice for reservations booked on November 11th, and 12th. have escalated this issue to investigate and to have the duplicate charge removed and refunded by check.

So now I have over $1,000 charged to my credit card for a booking in August of next year, and I have to wait on them to mail a check for the erroneous double charge. I replied that a check was not acceptable and the refund must be applied to method of payment, i.e. my credit card. I am not, however, holding my breath on that.

I wonder is anyone else made a booking on reserveamerica.com on November 11 or 12, 2018, if it was for a NY State Park, and if you were double charged.

I think it is always a good idea to keep an eye out for this type of error and check your credit card account after making a purchase.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Gordon, call your credit card and do a chargeback, tell them you got billed twice and reserve america is not cooperating with you. That way they will give you a temporary credit for the 2nd charge while they investigate. This will most likely result in the credit being permanent after the investigation which unfortunately will take a month or two.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Gordon, call your credit card [company]....
Yes I was planning on dealing with the bank if they dont respond favorably to my last message to them which was only a few hours ago. Figured I would give them the rest of this workweek.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Meanwhile you get to spend time listening to lousy music that is interrupted every few minutes with a message about how your call is important to them. You have my deepest sympathies.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
...Their reply (in part) was:

I apologize that you are showing a duplicate charge for the reservation that you had made. We are aware of the system charging twice for reservations booked on November 11th, and 12th. have escalated this issue to investigate and to have the duplicate charge removed and refunded by check.

... I replied that a check was not acceptable and the refund must be applied to method of payment, i.e. my credit card. ....
The refund check arrived via overnight FedEx this morning. The double billing was eight days ago and I complained two days later and got the above reply.

The good:
  • I got the check in time to deposit it and use it to pay off my credit card with no worry about being charged interest.
  • I will earn 1 percent cash back on the $515 charged to my card.

The bad:
  • I received no further communication from reserveamerica, including the status or result of the "investigation" or to my request that the refund be applied to the card instead of a check.
  • I also received no notice that a check was issued or shipped to me. In fact if the check had arrived literally one hour latter, it would have sat at my doorstep for a little more than a full week because we are out of town for the holiday, and we were not notified to expect the envelope.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Good to hear it was resolved satisfactorily! A few weeks ago I got two confirmation emails for the same reservation. I wondered if I would be double billed but that didn't happen. Apparently they are still working out kinks with the new system.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
... Apparently they are still working out kinks with the new system.
Might you be thinking of https://www.recreation.gov/ ?? I think they had a website redo, but reserveamerica seems unchanged.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
You're right, I was confused!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote