Selling a boiler in michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
Selling a boiler in michigan

Can anyone tell me the process for selling a 13' boiler in Michigan. There's no title I'm pretty sure fore the 13'. Does the buyer pay sales tax and how does that work, do I have to collect it or do the pay it directly to the state? I've never sold anything like this before. Also, is 6500 a fair price for a middle of the road 78 Boler? Someone stopped and asked about mine so now I'm trying to figure this all out.
Pezking82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:23 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Call the dmv about title transfer. I believe a bill of sale is ok in Michigan but you should verify.
Right now, FG campers are selling at some of the highest prices that I’ve seen. If your boler is in great shape, $6500 seems like a good price, but Some are going for even more (amazing). You can check out the classified section of this group to see what people are pricing them at. Price is heavily dependent upon the condition of the camper including frame, shell, and interior.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:43 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Fact #1: Get a title.

From Michigan Secretary of State Website: "All trailer coaches (e.g., pop-up camper, travel trailer, fifth wheel camper, etc.) are titled and registered regardless of weight."

Cargo trailers under 2500 pounds in Michigan do not require a title.

Fact #2: I bought my 1977 Trillium 1300 (13 foot like your Boler) in Michigan, and you bet I got a title with the sale.

$6500 is kind of a midpoint price wise. Trailers that need significant work are going to be less (any soft spots in the floor, how does the exterior look, etc). Trailers where everything works: all appliances, lights, good battery, and so on are going for more.

The 13 foot Boler is one of the most desirable vintage FG trailers out there. Very strong following. So even in poor shape someone will want it, but not for $6500. Condition is everything.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
+1 get a title. Titles are required in Michigan for camping trailers regardless of weight. You sign the back of the title transferring ownership just like you would for selling a car. The new owner pays the sales taxes when they register and title the trailer(some states don't title). I always made a copy of the signed over title (and drivers license) as proof that the trailer wasn't ours anymore just in case the new owners damaged something with it. We also did a receipt for.the trailer.

Personally we have passed on trailers with no titles, and with titles not in the name of the owner. I personally believe a Michigan egg without a title is worth less than one with a title.

If you do call the the Michigan Secretary of State office, make sure they understand that you are talking about a camper that you sleep in, sometimes you get someone new who confuses it with a utility trailer - which at that weight are non required to be titled in MI.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Condition of the frame, axle, bearings and tires are also key.

I agree with T.B. regarding State of Michigan transfers:

- Get a title. Its always required for a "trailer coach" in Michigan.

- First molded fiberglass trailer (very nice Burro) that I attempted to buy 300 miles away had a bad title. It hadn't been signed over to the seller and the seller had no way to get the previous owner's signature. The state said that the ONLY way to buy this trailer was with a "bonded" title. We walked away.

- Buyer always pays sales tax.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #6

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
If you did title your trailer in Michigan and can't find the title, you can request a replacement title.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote