Selling my Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Selling my Casita

Hi,
I looking for some advice regarding selling my Casita, or maybe just point me in the right direction. My question is what’s the best way to handle payment. Bank or cashiers check, bank transfers or I believe there are companies that handle these types of transactions. I would appreciate you sharing any insights or experiences.
Thanks.
UPDATE; FOUND THE THREAD
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
I posted my Scamp for sale “cash only”. I closed the deal with the buyer handing the cash to the bank teller and then deposited it into my account. After the money part was done handed over clear title , keys, other stuff I had collected over the years of ownership. Best to be cash only!!!!!!
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:57 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Verified cashiers check

I one sold an expensive motorcycle and told the buyer I needed a cashier's check. I also told the buyer that I needed to know in advance on what bank it would be drawn. When the buyer arrived, I called the bank and asked that they verify that they had issued the check. I had looked up the bank phone number in advance, so I knew I was actually calling the bank. It worked well for me. Cash at the bank is a great idea, however.
David Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #4

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Whenever I sell something of a large value, I tell the buyer we will meet at the bank of their choice and I will watch the transaction between the buyer and teller. Accepting cash as your bank does not protect you from getting fake currency and the teller may not catch it if it is fake.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
I sold my trailer by wire transfer. After my bank verified the deposit I signed over the title and they pulled away.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would never carry large amounts of cash, especially with a long distance transaction, due to the possibility of civil asset forfeiture. If there’s a branch of my bank near the point of sale, then it could work. When selling to a cash buyer I would receive payment at my own bank and deposit before transferring ownership. .

Bank transfer can work, too, but you must verify receipt of funds before transferring ownership. Discuss the details with your banker before listing .

Cash or verified EFT only. Never any kind of check, not even a cashier’s check. Always complete the final transaction at a secure location, preferably a bank.

Never transfer possession without the proper transfer of ownership documents at the same time. Be prepared to provide a bill of sale along with the title (depending on state). Notify your motor vehicle department of the sale (many states can be done online 24/7), so you don’t incur liability for anything that happens after the transaction.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Selling

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did find a thread on the subject so I’m leaning towards a cash transaction at my Credit Union or a wire transfer ( which I need to do more research on)
Thanks again.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:51 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
Bitcoin or wire transfer. I wouldn't ask for cash for something over $500. A lot of people have been robbed buying stuff on craigslist. Buyers and sellers.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Bitcoin can lose all its value in seconds, and I gather it just did.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Our last camper we sold the guy said he would bring cash and I didn't really think much of it. I had no idea he would bring mostly $20 dollar bills. It was hard to imagine just how big a pile over $10k in 20's is. And then I had to take it all to my bank to draw a cashiers check to buy the next camper because that was what the seller wanted. Many eyebrows were raised, including mine.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwig View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I did find a thread on the subject so I’m leaning towards a cash transaction at my Credit Union or a wire transfer ( which I need to do more research on)
Thanks again.
When we listed our motorhome, I was unfamiliar with wire transfers. I made an appointment and spoke with a banker about the ins and outs of wire transfers. Very helpful. Might as well get some service in return for all that interest they're not paying you for holding your money!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #12

Name: Evelyn
Colorado
Evtinaja

I have a casita never used drove it from Rice Tx to Colorado my life changed over night
I need to sell it plz help
Evtinaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:05 PM   #13

Name: Derek
Trailer: In the market
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Bitcoin can lose all its value in seconds, and I gather it just did.
30% increase in 6 months, I would've taken Bitcoin for that sale!
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #14

Name: Fermor
Trailer: Coleman
Colorado
[QUOTE=Evtinaja;857788]I have a casita never used drove it from Rice Tx to Colorado my life changed over night
I need to sell it plz help[/QUOTE

I’m interested. Please provide details.
Fermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattopuin64 View Post
I posted my Scamp for sale “cash only”. I closed the deal with the buyer handing the cash to the bank teller and then deposited it into my account. After the money part was done handed over clear title , keys, other stuff I had collected over the years of ownership. Best to be cash only!!!!!!

Cash may well the the best, but if the sale is over $10K and you try to withdraw that much from your bank account it can trigger the teller to alert the FBI. Or, at the very least, a bunch of uncomfortable questions.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:22 PM   #16

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evtinaja View Post
I have a casita never used drove it from Rice Tx to Colorado my life changed over night
I need to sell it plz help

I know where there is a bridge that has 50 pounds of gold bars buried under one of the footings. But I don't have a shovel.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #17

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
When potential buyers of my first two eggs objected to me requiring Benjamins I very calmly explained that I will always put my trust in God. But, all others pay cash.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita