Selling out of state, spec. , California to Washington - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
This is coming up with regard to my boat, but I hope someone here has done this.

My boat is licensed currently and registered in California. I do NOT have the title- it dissolved. No idea what happened to the trailer title. Both are current, though, with tags.

A potential buyer is in Washington state.

He called the DMV and was told he could not register it there without the California title. I can sell it to him with a concomitant application for duplicate title. Does he just have to wait for the new title to reregister it in Washington? That would seem simple enough to me.

I haven't wanted to apply for the duplicate title for fear of a registration fiasco going on for months as happened with my trailer- and in the meantime I'd be unable to sell. So I've planned to sell with the form that both transfers ownership and requests a new title. It's good for selling out of state, since it asks for the state of the new owner.

Any wisdom here?

Thanks,
Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Quote:
This is coming up with regard to my boat, but I hope someone here has done this.

My boat is licensed currently and registered in California. I do NOT have the title- it dissolved. No idea what happened to the trailer title. Both are current, though, with tags.

A potential buyer is in Washington state.

He called the DMV and was told he could not register it there without the California title. I can sell it to him with a concomitant application for duplicate title. Does he just have to wait for the new title to reregister it in Washington? That would seem simple enough to me.

I haven't wanted to apply for the duplicate title for fear of a registration fiasco going on for months as happened with my trailer- and in the meantime I'd be unable to sell. So I've planned to sell with the form that both transfers ownership and requests a new title. It's good for selling out of state, since it asks for the state of the new owner.

Any wisdom here?

Thanks,
Bobbie
Maybe I'm missing something, but here in Arizona, you can walk into MVD and get a duplicate title in just a couple of minutes. They just print it right out.

Frank
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but here in Arizona, you can walk into MVD and get a duplicate title in just a couple of minutes. They just print it right out.

Frank
Well, that might once have been true in California. But they are closed three days a month (furloughs) and have four hour waits the other days. Maybe longer now because one of the three local ones is closing for remodeling. When I looked for an appointment they were taking them two months out.

I'm leaving California tomorrow so that is no longer an option. It has to be done by mail and they don't even open mail until 3-4 weeks after it arrives. It SHOULD be easy but I don't trust them to make anything easy. I just didn't start worrying about it soon enough because I figured I could transfer it with the form that also requests a duplicate title.

And I forgot all about needing one for the trailer, too, until today.

But I think it will be okay- it's got current tags, so does the trailer, so as long as the buyer is in the process of re-registering it he should be clear, and no one is likely to question him. When I bought my trailer the problem was it did not have current plates so I had to start worrying about it right away.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Quote:
Well, that might once have been true in California. But they are closed three days a month (furloughs) and have four hour waits the other days. Maybe longer now because one of the three local ones is closing for remodeling. When I looked for an appointment they were taking them two months out.

I'm leaving California tomorrow so that is no longer an option. It has to be done by mail and they don't even open mail until 3-4 weeks after it arrives. It SHOULD be easy but I don't trust them to make anything easy. I just didn't start worrying about it soon enough because I figured I could transfer it with the form that also requests a duplicate title.

And I forgot all about needing one for the trailer, too, until today.

But I think it will be okay- it's got current tags, so does the trailer, so as long as the buyer is in the process of re-registering it he should be clear, and no one is likely to question him. When I bought my trailer the problem was it did not have current plates so I had to start worrying about it right away.
California may be beautiful, and have perfect weather, but I'm glad I live in AZ, for now at least. Good luck.

Frank
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, title