STOLEN 1976 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 03:00 PM   #1

Name: Maddy
Trailer: Boler
Colorado
STOLEN 1976 Boler

Hi all,
My 1976 Boler was stolen yesterday from my home in Denver, CO.
Please let me know if you see it anywhere out in the world!!
License Plate: AJPU32
Thank you so much.
Attached Thumbnails
67381048462--B845BF68-F844-4FDD-9293-0EF28070E7ED.jpg  
mwebster310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:42 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think this touches a nerve for all of us, especially owners of the little ones. So very sorry. Hope you are able to recover this nice unit. Looks like it’s had some love put into it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
There was an escape trailer stolen in Arvada recently. From a storage lot.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Anybody title their rolling stock? If it doesn’t have a title, don’t buy it regardless of a good price!!!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:11 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You are preaching to the choir here. Guess it bears repeating from time to time, though.

There are exceptions. One is a trailer that originates in a state that does not title certain classes of trailers. You'd want to verify that independently. There are also rare situations in which a title has been lost, the original title-holder is deceased, and the seller is a relation, perhaps several degrees and years removed. These are often the "barn find" kind of situations. I'd generally only get involved if I had personal knowledge of the people and situation. States do have procedures for granting title that usually include a waiting period, public notices, and posting a bond. Know going in that it'll take some time and expense before you can legally register and use the trailer.

Always get a notarized signature from the seller. Always. Title states typically require notarization of the title reassignment, but if not (or even in addition), insist on a notarized bill of sale. Arizona DMV has the form online. You want the seller's identity verified by an agent trained to recognize fraud. Do it at a bank where they will know their face is on camera. That will protect you and weed out most of the bad actors.

Unfortunately, there are always ways to fence stolen units to people willing to skirt the law, so the demand will always be there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Probably need to put trackers on our little trailers.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
...and Denver boots wheel clamp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18180676749...MaAljtEALw_wcB
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:11 PM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Triple tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoyle View Post
Probably need to put trackers on our little trailers.
I use find my I phone and only one other person has the P/W, same with TRAK-4, it is subscription but daily check in with hourly reporting keeps the cost down. I also use ham radio APRS ( APRS.FI and search for ac0gv) and leave it open to the public until about 10 miles from my stop and then turn it off. I also use four Tiles, but they are not trackers, they are where did I loose contact with my I-phone devices.

Let me add that the first set of Trak-4s from Amazon did not work well. The second set came directly from Trak-4, are 12 vdc powered and have never had to be reset. I have them hidden in the frame work of tow items and they work well when in an area of good cell phone service.

TRAK-4 map below:
Attached Thumbnails
BACKUS trak4.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrry smithe View Post
Anybody title their rolling stock? If it doesn’t have a title, don’t buy it regardless of a good price!!!
Don't know where you live, but we here south of the border live in 50 different little countries when it comes to motor vehicle laws. Not all of our 50 little states issue titles for trailers - even if you want one. I can't get one for my Thule utility trailer that grosses 2200 lbs. It only weights 458 lbs empty. My state (NY) requires it to have a unladen weight of more that 999 lbs to get a title. If I leave it in the front of the house for to long when I'm using it, people stop and want to buy it. I've had offers higher that what I paid for it new! Thule quit making them. Keeping on topic, my Scamp 19 is titled.

The one thing I really like about the Scamp 19 is that not everybody out there can hook to it. Makes it very difficult to steal! They would have to plan ahead and not many do that. .
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:14 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
It gets even more complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Don't know where you live, but we here south of the border live in 50 different little countries when it comes to motor vehicle laws. Not all of our 50 little states issue titles for trailers - even if you want one.
Here in Wisconsin trailers under 3000 lbs need not be registered/titled. A Scamp however is not a trailer, it is an RV and needs to be registered/titled.
My utility trailer can be but I have not due to the cost. I do keep the "certificate of origin" on file and a copy in the document tube on the trailer.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #11

Name: Josie
Colorado
Any news? I live just outside of Denver so I posted this info to our Nextdoor account. No sightings but someone asked what neighborhood or storage facility it was stolen from. Really hoping you get it back! I'm so sad for you.
Jo in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Don't know where you live, but we here south of the border live in 50 different little countries when it comes to motor vehicle laws. Not all of our 50 little states issue titles for trailers - even if you want one. I can't get one for my Thule utility trailer that grosses 2200 lbs. It only weights 458 lbs empty. My state (NY) requires it to have a unladen weight of more that 999 lbs to get a title. If I leave it in the front of the house for to long when I'm using it, people stop and want to buy it. I've had offers higher that what I paid for it new! Thule quit making them. Keeping on topic, my Scamp 19 is titled.

The one thing I really like about the Scamp 19 is that not everybody out there can hook to it. Makes it very difficult to steal! They would have to plan ahead and not many do that. .

Amen. Not a common hitch.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Determination wins every time. Don't develop a false sense of security. Remember, they don't need to take the trailer far, just far enough to properly hook to a proper tow vehicle and that could be where the preparation comes in...
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:42 PM   #14

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Determination wins every time. Don't develop a false sense of security. Remember, they don't need to take the trailer far, just far enough to properly hook to a proper tow vehicle and that could be where the preparation comes in...
Ah but "proper tow vehicles" are few and far between. Plus I have a title and insurance.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #15

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Please post some inside pictures and any information about unique features of your Boler a potential buyer could look for if it comes up for sale. You can also do that in a CL and Facebook Marketplace free ad under RV's for sale. Describe those features (mods, etc) to help prospective buyers be your eyes on the ground.. This will also alert people to the fact it is stolen and they could call the police in their area.

They will probably try to sell in a state that doesn't title trailers.

So sorry- I can't imagine though I did wake one morning to find my car stolen and it was quite a shocker.

Something new to think about with a smaller trailer that can be towed by many vehicles- argh! Is there a solution?
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #16

Washington
Is there any locking system we could put on a small trailer to prevent this from happening? We are in the market and have read about this happening more frequently. I don't wanna camp and worry about this, especially in my state where camping can be remote and there is a lot of drug users desperate for income.

We once went to look at a trailer in Corvallis, Oregon where we were sure we were being set up to be robbed and left. The alleged owner claimed the trailer was just off the street in a little lot about a mile from where he met us.......

Once we approached the opening to the road that the trailer was supposed to be on things felt a bit off kilter and then downright scary because there was no reason for the trailer to be there whether was parking at the home we met him at. While we could see the trailer wet thought we would be put in a vulnerable position if we went inside were we would be separated from our vehicle. Our gut feeling was to leave and call the police.

We called the police and gave them address where he met us, etc. They later called back android the man was a known drug user, jailed often and was probably trying to sell his father's trailer, unbeknownst to his father, or to rob us as apparently he had done that in his past criminal history. We were congratulated for paying attention to our intuition.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #17

I wonder...

This was the first and only post that mwebster310 has made. We don't even know for sure where he/she is from except what the post told us.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
This was the first and only post that mwebster310 has made. We don't even know for sure where he/she is from except what the post told us.
mwebster is more active on some of the all-molded-towable Facebook groups. The post here was strictly to get more eyes out on this trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangie View Post
Is there any locking system we could put on a small trailer to prevent this from happening? We are in the market and have read about this happening more frequently.
Yes, but the better deterrents are usually more expensive that what one normally spends. There are some very good. www.amplock.com makes some of the best, but at between $199 to $250, most will end up opting for something under $50.

And even the Amplock can be defeated. Someone just chain up the trailer to the back of their pickup and tow it away to some out of the way place when they can cut if off with a cutting torch. Best to add more deterrents such as a wheel chock lock. The longer it takes a thief to steal a trailer, the less likely he will try to steal it. Google is your friend to check all this stuff out. And Youtube will show you how long it takes to defeat these locks.

Another thing is to live in a state that issues a title for travel trailers. But the title is only as good as how well the manufacturer has marked his VIN on the trailer. Many use just a visible sticker on the frame with no hidden markings anywhere. Many states will allow a trailer without a VIN to be registered as a home built trailer.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #20

Washington
We use wheel chock locks for our boat and our RV. In all reality, a few hundred dollars to create a deterrent seems money well spent. Thanks for the information.

Tags
boler