Temporary Plate - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Temporary Plate

Preparing to sell my Scamp, and I found out that a purchaser from either in out of state (except for Massachusetts, which does not recognize temporary plates) can get a 20 day Temporary or In-transit registration plate for $10 at DMV. They just need a bill of sale containing certain specific items and proof of ID.
I don't know of any other legal way someone can come, make the purchase, and leave with the camper all in one trip.
How do people typically do this?
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Preparing to sell my Scamp, and I found out that a purchaser from either in out of state (except for Massachusetts, which does not recognize temporary plates) can get a 20 day Temporary or In-transit registration plate for $10 at DMV. They just need a bill of sale containing certain specific items and proof of ID.
I don't know of any other legal way someone can come, make the purchase, and leave with the camper all in one trip.
Yes the temp plate (tag) is the right way to do it for states in the US that provide temp plates for private (non-dealer) parties, but I would guess that 98% of people don't do that. As long as you have good title (usually with notarized signatures documenting the sale, prior to re-titling), a bill of sale, proper (state mandated) insurance and are within a week or two of the purchase date, there are very very few police officers would would cite you for the technical violation. Of course since I made that statement, there will be someone who got gigged for the registration violation, but chances are very good that almost all buyers will have no problems in the situation that I described.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #3

New Hampshire
Gordon, are you suggesting they would tow it home with no plate, or that I allow them to take it with my plate on it? Or something else?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
The person I bought my trailer from got the transit tag and had it waiting for me. Thankfully!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Gordon, are you suggesting they would tow it home with no plate, or that I allow them to take it with my plate on it? Or something else?
In my home state the plates go with the vehicle not the vehicle owner
When we bought our 1999 Scamp , we just went to the DMV , transferred the title , paid the seller , and drove away with the trailer.
A year later I bought new tabs and stuck them on the old plate.
I would not assume that all states or even neighboring states have similar procedures.
I am a legal resident of the State of Minnesota but my TV and trailer are registered and titled in the State of Wisconsin and it is perfectly legal
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
What ever you do to get it down the highway, make sure its as clean as possible. All the lights work and you drive the proper speeds. Safety first and don't attract attention to yourself. A dirty safety riddled rig with a for sale sign on it weaving down the road will attract attention. This goes for anyone towing a trailer legal or not. If your the seller make sure your end of the transaction is legal so you have no liability if someone is out breaking the law or getting in an accident. Here in California I try to do all transactions at the Auto club, its just easier for everyone with out all the DMV hassles.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Your last sentence covers it for me if the purchase is from a private party. I have done it legally many times. Simply come, make the purchase, and leave with the trailer or vehicle. IllAnnoy allows time to get a new title and registration. After returning home, I would then go to the DMV for the paperwork. No in transit plate required.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:

I am not suggesting any course of action for anyone (except to follow the law). I was just saying that if the circumstances are as I described, very very few officers will care. That also assumes that the buyer is more are less taking it straight home before getting his new plate, and not on a six-week cross country tour. Once you have signed the title over and got your cash, transporting the trailer legally (or not) is up up to the buyer. Here at least, the buyer obtains the temp tag from DMV. If buying from a licensed dealer, they supply the tag.

But I will say NEVER let anyone take "your" plate. Laws vary, but here the DMV wants their plate back. Laws vary but often times you will suffer a penalty if you do not turn in "your" plate as well as continue to pay property tax. And in case of accident, etc, the report might still show the camper registered to you. At least if there is no plate the officer would need to investigate further (see the title) to establish who the responsible owner is.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I am not suggesting any course of action for anyone (except to follow the law). I was just saying that if the circumstances are as I described, very very few officers will care. That also assumes that the buyer is more are less taking it straight home before getting his new plate, and not on a six-week cross country tour. Once you have signed the title over and got your cash, transporting the trailer legally (or not) is up up to the buyer. Here at least, the buyer obtains the temp tag from DMV. If buying from a licensed dealer, they supply the tag.

But I will say NEVER let anyone take "your" plate. Laws vary, but here the DMV wants their plate back. Laws vary but often times you will suffer a penalty if you do not turn in "your" plate as well as continue to pay property tax. And in case of accident, etc, the report might still showed the camper registered to you. At least if there is no plate the officer would need to investigate further (see the title) to establish who the responsible owner is.
I have never removed the plates from any vehicle , boat or trailer that I have sold / traded in. I have never turned in a set of plates to any government agency in my entire 70 years of life.The only people I know who had to turn in their plates were those convicted of DWI and they swapped them for whiskey plates.
I have removed the plates off of junk cars and used them to patch rust holes in my floor boards on several occasions
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
plates

I have purchased 2 used trailers. I have never been stopped had the state patrol drive up from behind me never a stop.

as long as you have your title and bill of sale you are safe. I drove from il to mo and ia to mo both times no plates.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have never removed the plates from any vehicle , boat or trailer that I have sold / traded in. I have never turned in a set of plates to any government agency in my entire 70 years of life.The only people I know who had to turn in their plates were those convicted of DWI and they swapped them for whiskey plates.
I have removed the plates off of junk cars and used them to patch rust holes in my floor boards on several occasions
Proof positive that YMMV... there is a wide variation between US States regarding MV law so follow the law that applies (or don't, but have all your paperwork in order and take the very small risk).

But even if not required to be turned in, I would not let anyone have my tag. I might transport the vehicle for them with my tag on it, which might not be technically legal if the title has been signed over, even if not "filed." But I do need turn in the tag here and I would not trust people to mail it back to me.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Proof positive that YMMV... there is a wide variation between US States regarding MV law so follow the law that applies (or don't, but have all your paperwork in order and take the very small risk).

But even if not required to be turned in, I would not let anyone have my tag. I might transport the vehicle for them with my tag on it, which might not be technically legal if the title has been signed over, even if not "filed." But I do need turn in the tag here and I would not trust people to mail it back to me.
I support your position on using common sense.
I live in IllAnnoy and I have never purchased a plate or transferred a title at the point of purchase from a private seller for a car or a trailer. It is not required here and I follow IllAnnoy registration requirements regardless of point of purchase in the U.S.
Dead plates get tossed or used for scrap or crafts (like birdhouse roofs).
Old 11-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #13

Registry
BTW:
Even when we purchased our Scamp13, we left the factory with a Certificate of Origin, no Title and no Registration. All perfectly legal.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #14

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In Iowa, people do routinely turn in the plates when moving to another state and a refund is issued for the rest of the year they were not used.

And if you paid $333 as I did many years, you would want the refund of most of it as I received.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #15

New Hampshire
wow the law and common practice really does vary a lot between states! OK thanks everyone, I think the moral of the story is to check the laws in the seller's state and the state of the purchaser, and complete the title transfer if you can, even if your state doesn't require it for small trailers.
Thank you!
Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
BTW:
Even when we purchased our Scamp13, we left the factory with a Certificate of Origin, no Title and no Registration. All perfectly legal.
My understanding is that The Certificate of Origin substitutes as a title of sorts for a new vehicle that has not been titled yet. It does not work for used or any vehicle that is or has been titled and can only be issued by the manufacturer.

When I bought new in Sept 2015, Evelands gave me the Certificate of Origin AND a temp tag.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
NY requires the plate to be turned in if you are cancelling the insurance on a motor vehicle, or selling a vehicle that is currently registered.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #18

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
It is my understanding, in Illinois anyway (confirm with the attorney in your state), the colored piece of sheet metal with numbers/letters is ONLY a receipt showing you have paid taxes for the vehicle (trailer). You have a duplicate paper copy in your vehicle. The metal plate does nothing else except show you have paid taxes and can drive the vehicle/trailer around.

jon
jon carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #19

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
This is taken directly from the Michigan Secretary of States web site:

"You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title and proof of insurance with you. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute.

If you do not complete the title transfer with the seller at a Secretary of State office, you have 15 days from the date of sale to transfer the title into your name to avoid a $15 late fee."

Obviously, laws vary, check your home State.

It is my understanding that in most instances, reciprocity comes into play. In other words, the home State laws apply just as in other vehicle regulations such as inspections, requirements for insurance, etc. This would be the laws in the State of the purchaser/new tow vehicle registration.

Wouldn't hurt to check though, especially since the Michigan SOS web site adds that little "within Michigan" wording.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
In Iowa, people do routinely turn in the plates when moving to another state and a refund is issued for the rest of the year they were not used.

And if you paid $333 as I did many years, you would want the refund of most of it as I received.
In IllAnnoy, If you have 364 days left on your plates and you sell the car, you don't even get a thanks, you just wasted your money. But then a plate is only $101 for a car.