Time to copy ads for insurance purposes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Time to copy ads for insurance purposes

Seeing all the requests for pricing and discussion on pandemic pricing reminded me this is the time of year to grab screen shots of camper like yours for sale in order to establish value for insurance purposes.

Insurance agents will go to blue book or look for comparable sales by dealers of which there are almost none. Dealers often have sold without realizing market value. I used to check RV dealers with dreams of buying a 16 ft. for blue book. Hey a guy can dream right? :-)

Had my insurance agent check and there was one to compare to and it was $1,500 from a dealer many years back. I provided a few images I captured with snipping tool included in windows which established an actual market value. Having a file folder of those printed off may prove useful in the event of damage or theft.

Not sure folks know this but buying insurance coverage that is specified as to replacement value doesn't mean that is the value, it simply means you are covered up to that value. One then has to prove that the item has that value. One can insure the camper for $100,000 value but the insurance will only pay on what it is really worth in the market. Which sort of makes sense, many things you buy and the value drops with age or mileage. The ten year old boat or motor home has a different value than it did when new. Your loss is based on current values.

Spring is the best time to collect some "current" values as more are for sale and prices tend to be up more than in the fall. Folks with a make or model that isn't common may only find one or two even during peak selling times.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip!

The price for Fiberglass trailers have skyrocketed due to the pandemic. Wonder how much our trailers will be worth two years from now, once things return to “normal”.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Great idea, especially considering current values and replacement wait times. Jane, as for value in two years, if it diminishes, it won't be much. Conventional trailers rely on an .030" membrane and seals to keep water out of what on the cheaper models is wood and fiberglass. I never worry about those things with my fiberglass trailer.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote