Towing help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 11:15 PM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Towing help

I’m trying to figure out if I can tow 2500# with my 2009 Subaru Tribeca. I’m reading all the posts but I’m so confused. I do not have the towing package. I pull my Play PAC but it’s 1000#. I need to put an MG on a utility trailer and haul one time 325 miles . You guys are the best at this. Can anyone help me please
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Meghan, no idea of your tugs ratings but one other way that may be a bit easier on your tug is by using a tow dolly as there is only a few pounds of tongue weight on the ball. If the MG isn't registered for the road though, that throws the dolly idea out the window .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:54 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Check your owners’s manual. What are the maximum trailer weight and tongue weight rating?

I agree a dolly would be beter. If the rear wheels and bearings are roadworthy, I think you can get a temporary transport permit in most states. That would solve the registration problem.

As another option, have you looked into renting a pickup truck at U-Haul? It looked like the ones at our local lot had hitches.

Of course one could ask why you’re getting an MG... you’ll be spending all your weekends working on it instead of camping!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Does the trailer have brakes, and does your tow vehicle have a brake controller? If not, forget it.

Without the tow package, your vehicle is rated for 2,000 pound max. Knowingly exceeding the tow limit is a personal decision. Being able to stop is more important than going forward.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Since the MG is a rear wheel drive car to use a tow dolly the car driveshaft would possibly have to be removed or the car put on backwards. Don't know what would turn in the transmission towing on the rear wheels if everything in the trans would get lubrication. Whether or not the OP's trailer has brakes is a consideration. Using a rental truck and maybe even one of their trailers would be the best option. Not clear by original post if the MG is being delivered or picked up
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote