Travel Trailer Licencing Fees - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We do have a yearly registration fee based upon initial value and age. For our 25 year old trailer it was something like $15. We have no inspection for trailers but do for motorhomes.

The big savings is of course no sales tax.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Yeah, we've been known to sneak across the border and smuggle stuff back in. Don't tell anyone on this side of the river. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
No provincial sales tax in Alberta, but the federal 5% sales tax now applies. No effect on used trailers. I think that might not be the case if you purchase your used trailer from a dealer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Fees in Indiana depend on what county you live in. The variable is a "wheel" tax that varies from $0 to $40. It's up the individual county's discretion and doesn't depend on trailer size.

I live in Hancock County, which charges the maximum $40.

The yearly fees for license plates on my 1978 Trillium are:

Excise Tax $12.00
Registration Fee $29.75
Wheel Tax $40.00
Admin. Fee $ 5.00

Total $86.75

A new trailer will cost more for excise tax depending on value. It think it eventually bottoms out at $12.00 after 10 years.
Sales tax on a purchase is 7%. New or Used.
Titles are a $15.00 one time fee unless you need a duplicate, that's $8.00
Replacement plates are $10.00.
Registration fees are $28.75 for new and $29.75 for yearly renewal.

Spanke
Old 11-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Here in Ontario the lic fee for a trailer is $35.00 for life, if sold there is a transfer fee (about $20.00).
When sold the HST tax is 13 % on the selling price, and yes each time it is sold.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Like Frank (Post #3) I paid 8% sales tax the first time I registered the trailer. Trailer tags in NY are based on weight - I picked up a new license plate sticker for 2014 before leaving on a year long trip & paid $36.25 for the year.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
Here in Ontario the lic fee for a trailer is $35.00 for life, if sold there is a transfer fee (about $20.00).
When sold the HST tax is 13 % on the selling price, and yes each time it is sold.

Ron
GST, which is part of the HST, is only applied once to anything purchased. Is this because the tax is combined with the PST now? A bit foreign to me being an Albertan.

To clarify for our friends south of the 49th, in most provinces the 5% GST (Goods and Services Tax - federal) is combined with the 5-10% PST (Provincial Sales Tax) to give you the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax).

In Alberta, there are no Provincial taxes. We are the only Province that does not have them (other than the 3 Territories in the north). I sure hope it stays that way, as that extra 5-10% would sure be costly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #28

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
In North Carolina in October we paid a 3% HUT (highway use tax) of about $600 for our Lil Snoozy (one time fee). We also paid the regular license fee of about $30 which is a yearly cost.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In Alberta, there are no Provincial taxes. We are the only Province that does not have them (other than the 3 Territories in the north). I sure hope it stays that way, as that extra 5-10% would sure be costly.
Ah yes. But, I was listening to a CBC radio show discussing taxes and, Alberta taxes middle and lower income people at a higher rate to make up for the lack of sales tax.
If Alberta had a sales tax they could lower income taxes for those groups. That way, those who have lots to spend end up paying more tax and those who can't afford to buy toys pay less tax.
What's for sure is that the government is gonna get your money, one way or the other.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Ah yes. But, I was listening to a CBC radio show discussing taxes and, Alberta taxes middle and lower income people at a higher rate to make up for the lack of sales tax.
If Alberta had a sales tax they could lower income taxes for those groups. That way, those who have lots to spend end up paying more tax and those who can't afford to buy toys pay less tax.
What's for sure is that the government is gonna get your money, one way or the other.
Well, that'll teach you for listening to CBC.

The chart at the bottom of this page shows all the different provincial taxes. All Albertans pay the same rate.
Canadian income tax rates for Individuals - current and previous years

We here all the time about hidden taxes. They just aren't there. Go to Canadian Tire, Wal-mart, or Home Depot, and the prices are the same, just the taxes are less. I have a ton of friends from BC who do their big ticket shopping here in Calgary.

edit: Just came back to warn myself that if I don't stay on topic, I may have to delete my posts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
GST, which is part of the HST, is only applied once to anything purchased. Is this because the tax is combined with the PST now? A bit foreign to me being an Albertan.
We know longer have HST in BC.

As a result we now have to pay the the 7% PST and 5% GST on new trailers & cars - you can reduced the PST amount paid by the value of a trade in if you used a dealer to trade in.

On used trailers & cars there is no GST but we now have to pay a higher rate of PST at 12% regardless of whether its a dealer or private seller you purchased from. Prior to or short time with HST if you purchased a used vehicle or trailer you only had to pay the PST 7%. Currently shopping for a used truck with no trade in so its a bit of sad but true story for me.

I can hear you laughing Jim all the way across the Rockies!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Well, that'll teach you for listening to CBC.

The chart at the bottom of this page shows all the different provincial taxes. All Albertans pay the same rate.
Canadian income tax rates for Individuals - current and previous years

)
Actually Jim your correct regarding Federal tax but it looks like you folks in Alberta pay a flat 10% on income tax. In BC and many other Provinces it is a scaled rate based on income... so someone with a taxable income of $37,568 or less for example will only pay 5.06% not the 10% their counter part in Alberta would pay. So it would seem that although your not paying a Provincial sales tax on goods purchased the good old boys in the Province of Alberta are getting you to pay up one way or another

Now that we have clarified that point, back to the topic!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
We brought our new (used, but new to us) Scamp 5er into Arizona last year and decide to register it here. The total cost to license it was $48 for a two year license. At the time we were TX. residents, looking to move to AZ. In TX. we would have to pay sales tax, 9.5%, almost $900, plus license fees of about $85 per year. We thought that we could have a lot of fun for the difference, and are very happy have AZ. registation. Registration for my truck was a bit of sticker shock, when I registered it here in AZ. this year. For the truck, and my drivers license it was close to $300. But we saved a bunch on the Scamp trailer. My ulitiy trailer was included in the $300 and was $109 for a permentant plate for it.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #34

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
A sales tax is regressive, it hurts lower income more than higher income. An income tax is progressive, it taxes more those who make more. Registration and title fees vary from state to state, in Virginia you pay a personal property tax every year on what you own, but their gas tax is lower. The fees for titling will vary and easily researched.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've maintained that sales tax should be applied to food as well.
The poor would be paying tax on their $1.19 mac 'n' cheese and the rich would be paying tax on their $19 lb. filet. Poor paying tax on a used Geo and rich paying tax on a Range Rover.
See Carol's post. It appears Alberta doesn't have a progressive income tax, but a flat rate.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #36

Name: John
Trailer: coachman
Virginia
Norm I am new to the area and have a 33 foot coachman travel trailer. I am thinking of buying a house in Salem (work in Boston) how do i calculate the registration tax I would pay for my RV? Why do they not make this easier to find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We do have a yearly registration fee based upon initial value and age. For our 25 year old trailer it was something like $15. We have no inspection for trailers but do for motorhomes.

johnpcace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:48 AM   #37

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
In NY, we pay registration fees yearly for trailers of any kind, and every two years for motor vehicles of any kind. I just registered our egg for the year, it was 27 bucks, but it is pro-rated from the first of the year. Trailer registration here always goes 1/1 to 12/31. All registered vehicles, whether trailers of motor powered have to be inspected. Inspection depends on the age of the motor vehicle, and the size of the trailer.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #38
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpcace View Post
Norm I am new to the area and have a 33 foot coachman travel trailer. I am thinking of buying a house in Salem (work in Boston) how do i calculate the registration tax I would pay for my RV? Why do they not make this easier to find?
I think Norm is on the road so I'll take a shot. NH has no sales tax but they make up for it with registration fees. Vehicle registrations are handled by the town you live in. You might check the town web site. They use a graduated rate dependant on vehicle age. We looked into moving to NH. As far as I could tell unlike most states you get no credit for paying sales tax in your old home state. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We no longer live in NH, however the yearly fee for our trailer was about $15. There's definitely an advantage of being 25 years old.

The fee in FL was $64, again reasonable. Neither state has a required trailer inspection.

Obviously you get no sales tax credit because there is no sales tax in NH. NH has a thriving business selling to all the border states. Buying anything significant provides a significant savings when bought in NH.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #40

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
try looking here MassDOT RMV