Traveling with a credit card. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Traveling with a credit card.

We're getting worked up for a 1 or 2 month trip this fall, and are getting finances setup and I have a question.

We're getting as much as possible set to auto-pay, and we can pay other things remotely through our banks, so that's going well.

However, a month ago, my credit card number escaped into the wild and I had to cancel it and get a new one shipped to me.

What happens if that occurs again while we're on the road?
I doubt the credit card company is going to be willing to ship a card to a random campground address for us.

Have any of you experienced this and what did you do?

We'll probably get 1 or 2 more cards that we don't use and keep those in case this happens I guess.

Do you long-time-travel people have any other tips for finances while traveling?
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Years ago, I found out my AMEX was being used as I was on my way to Hawaii for work. I was able to pick up a new card the next day at the Honolulu office. I'll bet they don't have a sticks and brick office today.

Your experience may vary depending on the card but here are some suggestions:

Always carry a second card in a separate pocket or bag. If you pickets get picked, you don't want to loose both,

If your card is through a national bank you can probably get it delivered to a local branch.

They may or may not be willing to send it to a campground and the campground may ot may not be willing to accept it, so that's kind of a last resort. I've seen stories where campgrounds refused deliveries.

Have a great trip.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
We had this happen to us. We talked to them on the phone, explaining our problem, and they let us continue to use the card if it was in person with the actual card. However this meant we could not use the card to prearrange online campsites. So it is a good idea to have a backup ready to go.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Credit Card

This happens to us a few years back.
Fortunately for us we had a second major credit Card and I would suggest the same.
As you know not every place accepts all the major CC but if you have 2 different CC you are more than likely to be lucky., It will also solve your specific problem.

"Only use the the second CC when no other option"

Hope this helps a bit

I know this worked fine for us
Old 05-06-2021, 09:51 AM   #5

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
I had a similar problem to Dave's years ago with a Visa card. I was on my way out of town to a dog show out of state, Visa cancelled the compromised card and sent the new one via FedEx and it was at the hotel waiting for me when I got there.

I also have what I call my "emergency only" card so that I carry two cards, even though I mostly only use the one.
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My wife and I have a joint Visa card and she has another in her own name. The original reason for this was so she could build her own credit rating, should I bite the dust.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I am in Canada and recently got a revised credit card from my credit card company with the same expiry date as before, but with a travel limit. I have been in lock-down for the last year and obviously not doing any travel except for food and drugs, especially since most stores are closed. The cred card company are not talking to me and willing to restore my card. Not sure if the US card companies are doing this (yet) but be aware if you are travelling and make sure someone is checking your mail if you are travelling for long periods like I used to do.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
two cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
However, a month ago, my credit card number escaped into the wild and I had to cancel it and get a new one shipped to me.

I doubt the credit card company is going to be willing to ship a card to a random campground address for us.

I traveled for a living for twenty years. It is rare but the cards including ATM can fail. I carry two cards from two different places, a bank and a credit union. I like cash, but most gas places will not let you pump until you go in and hand them the cash, then after you fill you need to find the clerk that took your money to get change.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Stolen, hacked Visa card

We are from Canada but have travelled extensively throughout the USA with our tiny FB trailer. For example... been to every continental state, every MLB ball park; most civil war parks etc etc etc. I have had my Visa card info stolen in a pub in Brooklyn, a grocery store in Kansas, and a gas station in California, to name a few. I've also had occasion where Visa has locked the card and when I phone them they ask me to verify the most recent purchases, then release the lock. I have had new cards forwarded to RV parks when I knew we had reservations but always called the RV park and talked to the park manager to arrange it because if it is sent to them and they don't recognize the name then they will return it. That ends up being a hassle (said from experience)! That all said we always carry extra cards just in case because you can always just cancel one and leave it until you get home to deal with.
Retired Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
We're getting worked up for a 1 or 2 month trip this fall, and are getting finances setup and I have a question.

We're getting as much as possible set to auto-pay, and we can pay other things remotely through our banks, so that's going well.

We'll probably get 1 or 2 more cards that we don't use and keep those in case this happens I guess.

Do you long-time-travel people have any other tips for finances while traveling?
It depends upon your bank. I am with Bank of America and they have overnighted a replacement card to me on two occasions, but you have to tell them why you cannot wait for it at your home address. We also have a second credit card (very good advice) from others and we have debit cards. If you plan on traveling to Canada or Canada (when the borders open) it’s wise to have an “international” credit card from your bank so you do not get charged international transaction fees. I would call customer service at your bank and ask what their policy is for an “emergency” replacement and foreign transactions. Like you, I get all my recurring bills by email and pay them through the BOA using the phone app.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Depending on whether there is a branch near you, one option is to ask to have a new card overnighted to a local branch of the issuing bank. Worked for me with Key bank.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Carry a second card for sure. Good Sam have credit cards that is one account but 2 different numbers, one for each person. That way if one is stolen the other one still works. That way you only pay one bill and all the points are connected. They are through Comenity Bank and it has been good for several years so far. Also get RFI Secure shields for all cards with any info on them. One card per shield. They are cardboard lined in aluminum and are very thin and lightweight. Website is www.greatshield.com We used them on our cruise 2 years ago and they definitely work to stop the thieves from reading them in your pocket, purse, wallet, etc. We had to take our cards for our ship out of them so they could be scanned or any time we went through a TSA check point since the aluminum set off the scanners. TSA agents were impressed with them. We just put them in the pass through with our keys, etc. We paid our utility bills in advance and anything else that we could. We don't use a smart phone to pay bills as it is not always safe. People hack cell phones all the time. If you don't have auto pay for car or house payments then take the bill with you and mail it about time it is due. This works great if not outside the US. We also don't use an ATM card since those can be hacked also in the machines. We carry cash and hide it in various places in the RV and car as well as carry some small amounts on us. My husband carries his wallet in his front pants pocket so it can't be stolen. I carry cash in a wallet in a fanny pack and in a special cloth belt under my pants so it can't be seen. So far we've never lost a card or money doing all this. We mostly use credit cards for all purchases and use an extra checkbook register to list all charges when on some trips so we know all purchases since you will forget some of them.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #13

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
When we went to CA we called our credit union so they would know we were out of the USA. They do not charge a fee for using it in CA. (also take a second card, just in case we need it for some reason.) I do take a check book for state parks, SFCGs or USFCGs when camping first come-first served with drop box self check ins. I store it in the locked glove compartment.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I used to do endurance rallies. By the third or fourth gas stop, they would kill my credit card. I learned to always use two cards, and rotate between the two of them.

Realize in a fraud situation, the credit card company takes all of the loses. So they have the right to develop whatever programs they want to protect themselves from fraud. You have to be prepared.

I keep a Costco and an Amazon credit card. If you do much buying at either company, both of their cards are a good idea. Costco gives us a once a year rebate, Amazon gives us a rebate every month.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You can prevent surprises by calling your card issuer before a trip and letting them know your plans. Did that before an East Coast trip to the Maritimes in 2019. No problems with our cards.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Another thing to check is your card(s) expiration date, particularly if you are on the road for long trips. You can request an early renewal from some banks, for example, Capital One gave me a new card 6 months before the actual expiration date when I explained I'd be on the road & couldn't get the mailed one at the usual couple of weeks before renewal.

On the other hand, Key Bank would not send an early card - said their system couldn't do it. That was in 2013 - they may have changed since then...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You can prevent surprises by calling your card issuer before a trip and letting them know your plans. Did that before an East Coast trip to the Maritimes in 2019. No problems with our cards.
We had to do that a few years ago, report to the credit card company each state we would be in. Now they said they no longer collect that information. Other card companies may still do it, so best to ask before traveling.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
We always carry two extra cards. Have actually had our primary card locked while traveling, and had to depend on a secondary card.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My wife and I have a joint Visa card and she has another in her own name. The original reason for this was so she could build her own credit rating, should I bite the dust.
Hi: Glenn Baglo... Why not just "Buy the farm"!!! Then you'll have lots of dust.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Know your customer!!!

Hi: All... I had a call the other day telling me of an unauthorized purchase on my card. They didn't know I don't have a card from that company.
Oops... I left home without it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote