Used trailer prices - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are two prices for a trailer. What the sellar wants and what the buyer is willing to pay. There's also location, location, location. If you're a buyer, when was the last time you saw a used (brand) all molded towable that suits your layout needs, tug ability, is in the shape you want? Once you've decided all that stuff. JUMP ON IT. But don't delay. You snooze, you lose.

Nada and all molded towables? What a joke!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #22

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
You're right Donna. Some eggs are, well, priceless
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #23

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
Well said Donna! The right RV never lasts long.
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think I am seeing a trend in stable prices for 16 ft. with rising prices for 13 ft. Which I think supports the idea of smaller TV and gas prices adding to the demand for the "little guys".

Also think I am seeing premium prices for the higher end of the market, I'm guessing the boomers retiring and finally doing that lifetime dream of long RV trips might be a factor there. For a lifetime dream I doubt they dreamed of doing it bare bones.

On the photos sometimes posted being accurate. I recently saw a set of pictures for what appeared to be a nice looking older camper. Comments from prospective buyers said how clean and sharp it looked. I wanted to check out a modification so I zoomed in. (Ctrl key and plus + key) All I can say not all that clean or sharp, rust on appliances, less than stunning caulk and paint touch ups. Not hidden and things that would be typical of someone touching up for own use. Just not "clean" or "sharp".

I don't think it was anything deceptive at play. Picture was sharp focus and high resolution but shrunk in dimension to view in web site all detail was too small to see. Had to open the picture and zoom in to get the detail. I just hope the interested party did not drive a long way to view camper only to be disappointed.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Has anyone else noticed how high some of the used trailer prices are this spring. I can't believe the prices some people are asking especially for the Escapes. People are asking the same or more for 6+ year old trailers than they paid new!
Why does that surprise you? When I purchased by Scamp it was 15.5 years old and included all the original purchase papers and order sheet etc. I paid the same for it that it was purchased new for. The price I paid is/was still way less than what some here have paid for a much older fiberglass trailer of the same make and age.

In regards to Escapes - keep in mind its supply and demand that drives prices. 7- 8 years ago they were not producing anywhere near the number of trailer that they are producing today & not that many folks outside of BC even now about them. As a result of the fairly low production numbers of the Escapes in their early years, a used 17' Escapes of any age is hard to find & as they have become more well known the more people on the look out for a used one - greatly increasing demand making it even hard to pick one up used.

I am always surprised by the state of the inside and outside of some of the trailers posted for sale! Gosh would it kill you to clean it out! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
..................I'm guessing the boomers retiring and finally doing that lifetime dream of long RV trips might be a factor............
That is an interesting perspective I had not considered. I am in my early 50s and in the class of what I would consider the "tail" of the boomers. Glad I got my Scamp now and can enjoy it for several years. I may not have been able to find, or afford, one if I had waited.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #27

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
That is an interesting perspective I had not considered. I am in my early 50s and in the class of what I would consider the "tail" of the boomers. Glad I got my Scamp now and can enjoy it for several years. I may not have been able to find, or afford, one if I had waited.
Older Sister and her husband went the somewhat the same route as you suggest. Have had a camper for decades but when getting closer to retirement purchased "the last one" so it would still be fairly new and paid for by retirement. Have all the amenities for long trips.

They started in their 50's also but.... kept trading in and upgrading until about 3 years before retirement which was last year. Took a 2 month trip out west and loved it.

Now the plan is to get all their dream trips done in the next few years then sell the camper and pickup TV and not drive that monster 5th wheel or any camper after that. Motel camping from then out so brother in law won't have the hassle of towing and setting up.

Me I am thinking some about finishing off some stuff on my 13 ft. and looking for a 16 ft. to take me into retirement. My wife unlike my sister does not care much about latest features or upgrades so I might be able to pull off buying the "last one" now.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #28

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Gail & I had decided a ParkLiner it was gonna be, and we planned on buying new this Spring. But all of a sudden last September one came up for sale only very slightly used in NJ, and we snapped it right up, no quibblling over price whatsoever. And we still got a great deal. We're also in it for the long term, so over time we'll do just fine.

I agree with Carol. There are two prices. But availability and location are important too. You find the egg ya want, jump!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
What does NADA say?

nada.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #30

British Columbia
Registry
There are unscrupulous sellers and unscrupulous buyers. But I'll bet you there's more buyers' remorse than sellers' regret in the FGRV market. What do you all think?
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
But I'll bet you there's more buyers' remorse than sellers' regret in the FGRV market. What do you all think?
I think the opposite is likely true- especially for sellers that see the trailer they just sold for "X" dollars to some po' sweet little old man being sold two weeks later at twice the price they let it go for.

That has got to rankle...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #32

British Columbia
Registry
Oh yeah.. That happened to me once when I sold a car. The next day the guy had it in his front yard asking way more than he paid yours truly. Mind you, I was just relieved to get the danged thing out if MY yard
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
What does NADA say?

nada.
Eggsactly! It may work just fine for stick builts, but worthless and badly misleading when it comes to all molded towables. What's even worse is insurance company's that try to use it when there's an accident. Hence the For Sale archives here and other all molded forums/sites.

BTW: What's a Helite Art? Does NADA work for your trailer?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #34

Trailer: Helite
North America Dealers Association
This was the bible for banks to use when giving a loan.
Had the wholesale price, Retail Price and Loan value.
Now days there are several companies, Kelly Bluebook, etc
However, the dealers now carry a Black Book to look this stuff up in.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #35

Michigan
Good reminder at least for me that I should be copying down camper for sale and sold advertisements as proof of value in case my insurance company needs my help in figuring out what to pay me in the event of a claim.

Would hate to leave them with no good information to base their obligation on.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Quote:
Good reminder at least for me that I should be copying down camper for sale and sold advertisements as proof of value in case my insurance company needs my help in figuring out what to pay me in the event of a claim.

Working in the Auto/RV/Insurance industry ^^^^^^^ THIS is good advise
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I have to do this pretty well every year in order to maintain my declared replacement cost policy on my trailer that I pay them extra for each year. As each year they want to discount the value of the trailer by X so % as they do with on sticky trailers they cover. I also have to give them photos of the exterior and interior for their files each year.

I know someone who's bank turned them down on the purchase of a used fiberglass trailer due to the bank using NADA as a guide for the loan value. The party went into the bank and sat down with the loans manager and a laptop for 5 min on Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and the loans manager changed their mind!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dumb Question?

Perhaps I am missing something, but how does anyone know what a trailer actually sold for? I looked at the classified archives, and most indicate somewhere what the seller's asking price was. We seem to believe that most sold at or near the asking price, especially if the sale happened quickly. I'm not questioning that that's often the case, but it's not proof for a bank or insurance company. The other site, fiberglass-rv-4sale, seems to be the same.

Does anyone know something I don't? Has anyone had experience with a total-loss insurance claim?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #39

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Our ParkLiner was not in NADA, but I flooded the credit union with information (i.e., new costs, FGRV for sale prices, etc) and they ended up willing to finance more than we needed!

It helps to have good credit.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #40

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Frank, I was thinking more about insurance claims than loans. A bank making a loan on a FGRV has something to gain from accepting a higher value (more interest) and minimal risk (in a good-credit situation), but an insurance company facing a claim has everything to lose.

I do have insurance on my trailer, and in the event of a loss, I would like to be able to replace it. After reading Roger and Carol's earlier posts, I got to wondering exactly what documentation I should be collecting (especially because, as the main point of the thread gets at, prices are rising).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote