Walmart as no fee ATM - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #41

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
There is no free interest, unless you are putting your money into CDs.
Not sure what you mean Bruce.
My credit union pays me 4% on my current account.
How is that not free money?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

When my cash is stolen , I'm out the money but if they lose their credit card , they expect others to cover their loss

I see a pattern! !
It might be a bad idea to carry all your money around in your pocket and hope it doesn't get stolen and lost forever, when you could use a debit card to access it as you wish. I like to have an adequate amount of cash with me all the time, but trips gobble it up pretty fast and the supply has to either be replenished or a debit card has to be used. Using a debit card also automatically produces a receipt which can be useful in a number of ways. So I use a combination of cash and debit. And, of course, cash is useless for on-line sales or park reservations.
When debit fraud happened to me, the bank took my money out of my account and gave it to a thief, without my authorization. Of course they had to give it back to me. And if that cost is passed along to others as a cost of doing business, it's the banks fault for being so lax. Further, I tried to help them catch the perpetrator and they were not in the least interested in who it was.
When the bank can happily write off over $20,000. on just one case, and fraud is running rampant with many other cases, it is silly to think that giving someone free ATM charges is somehow going to cost everyone else. It just aint the case.

As a business owner, I have no problem giving away small items in the name of good will and I don't then go and raise the price to everyone else by a 1/10 of 1% to make up the difference. Good will pays huge dividends and satisfied past customers are the best advertising.

Look at Walmart. People know they can park overnight and get free ATM service. It costs Walmart next to nothing and just about everyone with a trailer knows they can stop there, shop and pick up some cash if needed. They will undoubtedly give way more to the store than the store gives to them. Plus, Walmart, on their own, reached out and offered the service. Of course they did. It makes them a profit and builds good will. How is that freeloading?

In a larger sense, any time two people do business with each other, they each give something and they each get something. The exact division is never known because the legal tender was obtained somewhere else and the materials were purchased for an unknown amount, the cost of the transaction varies, etc. There is no absolute cost known to either side. Both sides want the deal. So a deal is struck and each one is happy. I get my widget and you get some of my money. If the seller is happy with the deal, the buyer has no reason to think he took advantage of anyone. This is true with buying a car, a cup of coffee, or a spot to park for the night.

Declaring that someone will always pay their way is admirable, but it is also a way of saying I owe nobody anything and have no obligation as a result of that. I personally don't worry so much about that and do good deeds for my friends all the time. When they wonder if they then owe me I say my reward is that their life is slightly better. Sometimes someone gives me something and it helps cement a friendship. Cool. Sometimes I have to pick between two sellers and one will say they will knock a few bucks off the price. OK, I'll take it. Now, do I somehow owe them? No, I don't. Did I get a free ride at someone else's expense? No. We made a deal we're both happy with and we're even. Plus, I like them more.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #43

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
like it

mr raspy I like your philoshopyn!!

I cant spell at all

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote