Walmart as no fee ATM - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #21

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Thanks, Roger. It may come in handy. Good to know it's an option.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
No, there is a big difference. If unauthorized transaction happens on a credit card, you have $0 liability. The bank-issuer will get back THEIR money. If unauthorized transaction will happen on a debit card, the bank-issuer do not care about YOUR money.
That is what I thought I said that I already knew! But never mind.

He is saying that he can use the credit option on a debit card.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Basically, if it's run as credit, it goes through the issuer's process the same as a regular credit card transaction. Which means fraud protection, zero liability, and in some cases, an extended warranty or buyer's protection on what you purchase. These transactions can take a couple days to be taken from your account - unlike an EFT (debit), which comes out almost immediately.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #24

Thank you!
Old 10-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We don't have a bank card , cash card , debit card ,or any other except for playing cards . No banking service is FREE , there is a cost involved for any transaction of funds . We don't use these banking services yet we end up covering the costs .
Go to Walmart , buy your pack of gum , get your cash and then brag how you conned the system.
I'd rather pay my own way , it's a matter of personnal pride.!
Perhaps you missed the fact that the banks are using your money to make money and yet pay nothing or next to nothing in interest and will charge you for their minor services whenever they can. Are they paying their way? Are they being fair or charging full market value for everything? Mine, for instance, charges a dollar just to print my balance. They charge me for the privilege of using my money to make more money.

Walmart's offers aren't something that you strong armed them into doing, they offer it without being asked. I just don't understand how it's not paying your way when someone offers you, unsolicited, a benefit to shopping at their store where they are making a profit on every purchase you make there? They profit from your purchase and offer a low cost benefit to spice up the deal. How are you not paying your way while shopping at the retail level?

Is it stealing to accept something extra, while paying for the privilege? Does that mean someone should accept no discounts on anything, because it would mean not paying your fair share? If so, why not pay more than the asking price so you can feel really good about it. You could insist that Walmart take 50% more than the asking price on their stuff, just so there could never be any question that you are taking advantage.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #26

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Basically, if it's run as credit, it goes through the issuer's process the same as a regular credit card transaction. Which means fraud protection, zero liability, and in some cases, an extended warranty or buyer's protection on what you purchase.
Who told you that? Debit card remains a debit card, it doesn't offer the "perks" of a credit card.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I just went through a huge debit card fraud and it was all covered without question. Debit cards have fraud protection at least as far as fraudulent charges are concerned.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #28

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Who told you that? Debit card remains a debit card, it doesn't offer the "perks" of a credit card.
I've been using Visa and MasterCard debit cards (linked to my checking account) for many years. It's not like it's a secret. And they DO offer many of the perks of traditional credit cards, including in my case zero liability protection and purchase protection.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #29

Arkansas
Registry
Here's a snip from VISAs zero liability page for example. Notice in the 2nd paragraph the caveat - the fraud protection does NOT extend to transactions not processed by VISA. EFT transactions (debit) fall into that category. In this case, if you want the zero liability coverage or other protections, the transaction should be run as credit and not debit. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171018-204803.png
Views:	9
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	112741
Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #30

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
c/c protection

I pay for my rental cars c/c I then get collision insurance at no cost! take my word for it that a biggee!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #31

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My bank has actually told me if I run my debit as a credit it gets more protection, so yeah, I believe it. For whatever reason I went through a couple years where I had a lot of minor fraud (small, unauthorized charges on my debit card). So I got some advice from them. Local credit union, and I got reimbursed all the money.

If I'm not near my credit union and need money, I always use a grocery store. Buy something, get cash back. Yep. Works great.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #32

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Our banking system in Canada is fairly robust.
I use my debit card for most purchases, in the case of fraud if someone gets the pin skimming the bank eats the loss. It happened once to me they got 480.00 dollars and it just happened to be at the end of the month when I was most likely to look at my account. I phoned the fraud line for the bank they stepped on the card right away. Five days later my account was refunded the money that was taken. Its the only time in 35 years that it happened to me.

I do carry a cash back credit card and don't use it much other than booking hotels/car rental/ flights. I also have a prepaid card when traveling away from home. In other countries just keeping track of purchases is more trouble than I care to bother with so I have a card with a limited amount.

Debit cards have a much higher user rate here than most countries.
Reward cards have a strong following.
The one great thing we have here in Canada is the E-Transfer I can send money anywhere in the country to any different bank via email.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #33

If out of the country, I would not use one of my bank cards to charge something, if I think of it. Instead I would use my credit union card. Can save a bunch.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #34

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
usign c/c

we keep an eye on charges as they are made we never noticed any problems while charging things in Europe. I don't like to carry much cash anytime and the c/c seem more secure to us!

plus we keep up piling on points!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
we keep an eye on charges as they are made we never noticed any problems while charging things in Europe. I don't like to carry much cash anytime and the c/c seem more secure to us!

plus we keep up piling on points!

bob
I use sorta of a similar system . I put X amount of money in my wallet , I mentally keep track of where I spent the money and when my wallet is empty , I guit spending money . I 've never had a problem paying in cash , my cash has never been turned down or declined , no one has hacked into my wallet and stolen my cash's identity and I don't get a bill at the end of the month.

It's all in your perspective of how to handle money .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:04 AM   #36

Arkansas
Registry
I bow to your cash only virtue Steve, but it's completely unworkable for many, including myself. Try the cash only approach with weekly air travel, weekly car rentals, weekly hotels, frequent foreign transactions, expense reporting, etc, where every single expenditure requires a card and a card receipt. There are many services that require a card, so I can either avail myself of those needed services by having a card or stand on a principle that's unworkable in modern society. Ever Uber without a card? What's my alternative - walking? Impossible.

It isn't just about perspective, it's about situation and needs.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I bow to your cash only virtue Steve, but it's completely unworkable for many, including myself. Try the cash only approach with weekly air travel, weekly car rentals, weekly hotels, frequent foreign transactions, expense reporting, etc, where every single expenditure requires a card and a card receipt. There are many services that require a card, so I can either avail myself of those needed services by having a card or stand on a principle that's unworkable in modern society. Ever Uber without a card? What's my alternative - walking? Impossible.

It isn't just about perspective, it's about situation and needs.
I understand the need for plastic !! . What I object to is the people who want the convenience of plastic but don't want to pay for the associated costs
They want an ATM on every corner and they want every retail store to act like a branch bank but they want these services for free.
and expect me to foot the bill.
The same people who think they are ENTITLED to free banking are the same ones who feel they are entitled to free camping and free meals
The same people who rant and rave about government handouts , have no problem getting free stuff for themselves at someone else's expense.
When my cash is stolen , I'm out the money but if they lose their credit card , they expect others to cover their loss

I see a pattern! !

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #38

Arkansas
Registry
The whole welfare and entitlements thing aside, It's just a business, and they're in competition with everyone else who offers similar services. If that competition results in "free checking" or "overdraft protection" or "free credit monitoring" or "airline miles" or "free ATMs" or whatever, then they've concluded that providing those things gives them a competitive edge. In any business, a discount or a perk to one may mean a higher price for the other. Taking advantage of the perks or discounts doesn't make you a mooch, it's just trying to get more bang for your buck - in my case, a very hard earned buck.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #39

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
It's just a business, and they're in competition with everyone else who offers similar services. If that competition results in "free checking" or "overdraft protection" or "free credit monitoring" or "airline miles" or "free ATMs" or whatever, then they've concluded that providing those things gives them a competitive edge. In any business, a discount or a perk to one may mean a higher price for the other. Taking advantage of the perks or discounts doesn't make you a mooch, it's just trying to get more bang for your buck - in my case, a very hard earned buck.
Exactly.
Let the borrowers pay for the savers.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #40

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
There is no free interest, unless you are putting your money into CDs.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote