Was it you/Paying to much - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I followed a 13' Scamp up Hiway 178 towards Lake Isabella Ca. The Kern Canyon is a narrow twisty road, like a nice guy he pulled over so I couldn't follow him.
There's a big fishing Derby this weekend. Hope they catch some big money fish.
I'm posting this here because they had conventional license plates on their Scamp.
In California you have a Camp Trailer if it is 16' or less in length and 96" or less in width.
This qualifies for Permanent Trailer Identification registration which is renewed every 5 years for the sum of $10.00. If you want to receive an actual title it's an additional $18.00 otherwise it's covered with a paperless title.
In some Ca. DMVs you have to fight for the PTI registration because most DMV workers don't know about it.
Hope they read this and save themselves some money.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
John, I have conventional plates on my Scamp but with a PTI sticker. Maybe that's what they had.

I opted not to get the PTI plate as I liked the number and lettering I have on the original plus I have it memorized.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
John, I have conventional plates on my Scamp but with a PTI sticker. Maybe that's what they had.

I opted not to get the PTI plate as I liked the number and lettering I have on the original plus I have it memorized.
They didn't have a PTI sticker on their conventional plate
I'm familiar with conventional plates and the PTI sticker as that's what's on my ATV and sailboat trailer.
John.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Quote:
I followed a 13' Scamp up Hiway 178 towards Lake Isabella Ca. The Kern Canyon is a narrow twisty road, like a nice guy he pulled over so I couldn't follow him.
There's a big fishing Derby this weekend. Hope they catch some big money fish.
I'm posting this here because they had conventional license plates on their Scamp.
In California you have a Camp Trailer if it is 16' or less in length and 96" or less in width.
This qualifies for Permanent Trailer Identification registration which is renewed every 5 years for the sum of $10.00. If you want to receive an actual title it's an additional $18.00 otherwise it's covered with a paperless title.
In some Ca. DMVs you have to fight for the PTI registration because most DMV workers don't know about it.
Hope they read this and save themselves some money.
John
Been there done that. I printed out all the "rules and regs" for PTI qualification, about 4-6 pages with all the references to other "rules and regs" in the California law from the DMV website. I did this because my first attempt for a PTI was met with a chorus of "no no no thats for very special circumstances or lawn trailers and jet ski trailers only. Infuriating. So I went back armed to the teeth with my documentation. After they researched the rules for about 30 minutes and referenced several large binders they relented....the clouds parted and I now have PTI.... Which saves me a bundle because the registration for this trailer has been going UP every year(strange but true) and it was going to be $90 this year.
Raymond Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
This whole thing with PTI is pretty confusing. I have seen 18 wheelers with PTI on the trailer. Today I noticed an 18-20 flat bed trailer being towed by a pickup with a PTI. ???

When I registered my 16 foot Scamp I requested a PTI. The person I bought it from, also here in California, said he got a bunch of crap at DMV and gave up on the PTI (he bought it out of state). The lady at DMV was nice. Made me make another appointment though, and bring it back to see her. She agreed, that 16 feet entitled me to a PTI. She could not find a tape measure anywhere in the office. This is where it got interesting. She stepped it off with her feet....... was 18-20 steps. She's hesitant to say 16 feet. Goes back into the office and comes out 10 minutes later. Tells me she is a size 8. Steps off the length again, and says, "so, it's 18 of my size 8. Size 8 divided by 1.5 (cause 8 x 1.5 =12) equals about 16 feet. I didn't really get this, but I saw where this was going and said "Yeah, Ok, that's right !". I got my PTI. Go figure. Nice Lady though. I still don't get the PTI on 18 wheeler trailers though............

$10 every five years to register. Can't beat that.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote