Washington State one time registration. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
In my case I already owned the trailer. I wasn't buying it, I was changing the registration from California to Washington. Had I paid sales tax on it in Washington (or California) I wouldn't have had to pay it again. Only I had no proof it was paid in California (I'd have needed something saying what was paid as sales tax and all I had was PTI) I had to pay it in Washington. I probably HAD paid sales tax when I first registered it in California but I didn't have that paperwork to prove it.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
From Bobbie: "Has anyone tried to get one of these yet? Here's the page to the current info on it. WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Intermittent-use trailer plates
I have to check with the local office but at the time I registered last year she thought it would cover any trailer under 2000 lbs that was not used commercially. Note it does not say you MUST use them for club activities and parades, only that you can. You can also use them for "occasional pleasure use" i.e. camping (vs, I assume, living in them?) You can't rent them or use them for commercial purposes. Nowhere near as good as California's $10 but then, covers somewhat bigger trailers, too. Basically equal to 4-5 years registration fees."

YES, we just got these intermittent-use tabs this morning! Cost was just over $200, but as long as we own Peanut, we'll never have to worry about registering it again. Paul was delighted. He took Peanut up to his old job first to have the scale guy weigh it--it was under 2000 so he took it to a local commercial scale and for $15 got a weight certificate. Then he took that, the online form we printed out, & our renewal notice to our local license office and got his tabs. Peanut was already licensed in WA and registered and all, so there were no extra fees except tax, of course. Our renewal this year would've been $46, making this a 5-year cost all at once for an indefinite benefit.

Turns out our 1973 FG-16 amerigo Peanut (dry) weighs 1900 official pounds. 1897 pounds at Paul's old job. Driver's side is heavier. Probably time to switch tires again, rotating the spare on in, I suppose.

Thanks for the updates, Bobbie and everyone, we're glad to have this taken care of!

Oh--they told Paul he was the FIRST ONE IN RENTON to take advantage of this new law. Cool!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Don't know if it applies, but Escape advised not to rotate tires side to side. On tandem axle trailers, they advise to rotate front to back, but not side to side. Given your tires will age out long before you have to worry about tread, I wouldn't bother rotating at all.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #24

Registry
Great! I need to go up and see if I can do mine. It has an official weight on the title so hopefully I won't have to go weigh it. Good reminder to do it. I agree- even if I only owned my trailer for five years it would be worth it not to have to do it annually and I expect to own it a lot longer- especially after I pay to put new doors on my garage!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #25

Registry
Glenn, we don't know if it applies, either...but Paul's OK with NOT rotating the tires! the spare has a slightly different look to it, though when would anyone ever see both sides at once?

Bobbie, it was pretty easy. Easier for you since you already have an official weight. We really didn't know officially if it would even qualify. Glad it did! T

Thanks for bringing it up--we were just coming due again. We forgot to do it last year and had to hurry in time for MaryHill--just barely made it! Did it online, Paul ran down to the local place and picked up the tabs the morning before we left. Whew, glad we noticed! (We got no by-mail notification!) We did last month, though, for this year. NO mention there of the permanent tabs, so thank you again!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #26

Registry
I just need to remember to go do it.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #27

Registry
OK- stopped in. Eventually the clerk decided yes, it qualified. But the weight is NOT on the registration as we both thought, so I have to go find the copy of the weight certificate to bring in. (Where did I put that?) She said it has to be used no more than once a week (but yes, a trip overnight or longer is one use), under 2000 lbs, we knew that, says "Seasonal or intermittent use." I think all they are trying to avoid is the daily use utility trailers. Anyway, hopefully there will be no problem when I go back Tuesday with the paperwork. She put in the 1590 I told her it reads and it let her get to the point of issuing it (but wouldn't without the actual weight certificate.) If I'd been able to show her the brochure that would have worked but she didn't have anything on Escape being a Canadian trailer.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #28

Registry
I have a paper from the PO stating that it's scaled weight is 1360. The idea that we could've saved $15 and used that...how would they know differently? We know that's 540 pounds shy!

The DMV seems to be really trying to work with us small trailer owners...I gather not too many have taken advantage of it yet. It took some optimism to come up with 5 years' worth of tab money in one go.

Good luck to you finishing your permanent tabs procedure! It felt pretty good when we got it done.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
standing policy

glen on a car they will not go other side to side on tire rotation either it was splained once to me I forgot something to do with the belts in the tires! I remember when radials came out that was an emphatic no no!

I don't know how old you are but radial tires could be squirley!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #30

Registry
Got mine. Ended up using the Escape 15 brochure (printed out a copy) to show the dry weight. They wanted to know is it for use seasonally or once a week or less. (Using for multiple days counted as one use.) "Intermittent use." It sounds like they just wanted to rule out business use. Hopefully now that we have them even if they decide travel trailers aren't supposed to be covered we'll have ours!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #31

Registry
Bobbie! Yaaay! Congratulations!

It's optimism at it's rolling finest! We're going to keep our rigs for at least five years and be around to use them!

Old 10-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Bobbie! Yaaay! Congratulations!

It's optimism at it's rolling finest! We're going to keep our rigs for at least five years and be around to use them!

If we aren't around we probably won't care... but I plan to be around and still using mine. I need to use it for about 25 years to make up for the garage door remodel!! (Which isn't done yet but scheduled for spring.)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #33

Registry
We hear you on that! What a convenience it'll be, though, to have your trailer in out of the weather!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We hear you on that! What a convenience it'll be, though, to have your trailer in out of the weather!

BEST
Kai
Yes. It goes to winter storage in an open barn soon, but it will be nice to go in and out as desired and free up my driveway. I have to get busy cleaning out the garage, though.

Tags
registration