Will prices come down in 2 months? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 11:01 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: In the market
VA
Will prices come down in 2 months?

So what do you think? If I wait until August to buy a 13' fiberglass camper, will the prices come down because the camping season is ending? About how many thousand are the prices above usual market value right now? I didn't start looking until the craziness started, so I don't truly understand what would be normal.
HeatherD42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:16 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Prices may fall but;

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherD42 View Post
So what do you think? If I wait until August to buy a 13' fiberglass camper, will the prices come down because the camping season is ending? About how many thousand are the prices above usual market value right now? I didn't start looking until the craziness started, so I don't truly understand what would be normal.
If prices drop it will not be because it is August. I sold my last two RVs in the fall with out any trouble. It seems to be when people buy because they perceive prices to be lower in the fall. My first one was already winterized when I listed it and it sold fast.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:25 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Ah, if only I could predict the future, I could make millions in the stock market.

Since manufacturers all have well over 1 year backlogs (more like two years), I do not see this changing soon. Prices were high back in February which is not exactly prime camping time. I've never seen a connection between price and time of year. These trailers have always been in very short supply, year round.

Really, you will be lucky to even find one between now and August if you start looking now. Holding out for one at a better price may mean you miss out entirely. Decide what the memories are worth to you and pay that premium. If you don't plan to use until 2022, then I would start looking now and I might just hold out for a better deal.

Took me over six months to find my Escape 19 used, and I paid full market price, and it was 450 miles away (one way). And it was before the recent boom. I looked for a Trillium for over a year, paid full market price, and it was 625 miles away (one way). Maybe I am just very unlucky.

The market decides what "normal" is. Have you seen used car prices lately? Or houses? And try getting a good deal on a new car. Notice the rebates and incentives are all GONE, and many dealers are charging OVER MSRP and getting it?

Compared to lets say 2018, molded 13 foot FG pricing seems to be up 50%. Older ones even more. Used to see older (1980s) Scamp 13s in good condition for $6,000. Now I am seeing them at $12,000. Whether it will ever return to the "good old days pricing", I have no idea. You could be in for a long, long wait.

IMHO, its all about the economy. If you think the economy is going to tank this fall, then short the market, and plan on making any major purchases then. Its not about the end of camping season.

Can you imagine seeing the perfect trailer right now, but at a high price? And then waiting until August to find a better deal? Only to not find anything half as nice? You decide.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
There have been some discussions on the Escape forum about all the 'new to RV' Escape buyer's and whether there will be a market flood of Escapes in a couple of years - one could only hope.

Like Thrifty Bill I paid full pop for my used Escape 19 even with some obvious warts. Great decision though, already had a number of great trips in it that I would not have had; none us are getting any younger.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Prices will not come down any time soon, I have watched the fiberglass market for decades and the demand still outstrips the supply by a huge margin.
Prices will continue to rise in terms of dollars even if the economy is ultimately destroyed as we return to late '70s fiscal policies (27% inflation)
The best time to buy has been "now" for decades.
If you find the trailer you want... buy it.

I have owned dozens of Fiberglass trailers and have never failed to sell for asking price within three days of offering up for sale.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #6

Name: Heather
Trailer: In the market
VA
Thank you for the perspective! I have seen a few decent deals roll around, so I will continue to keep my eye out and jump when the opportunity presents itself
HeatherD42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
DEFINITELY maybe......
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #8

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
I've owned 5 fbg trailers 13-21 ' over the last 15 years and each one took months to find. Here in NE they are rare as most seem to be in western BC and Ontario where they are made(Bigfoot's and trilliums.) with the short season here if you find a used one in great condition it's worth the premium. To buy new the wait is over a year and then you suffer some depreciation. I'd seriously consider renting while you are looking. Check Outdoorsy.com for instance.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #9

Name: Ric
Trailer: currently shopping
Tennessee
Quote:

No.
Ric G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #10

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
NO!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Typically the supply (number for sale) does increase at the end of the camping season. Typically when the supply increases, the price drops.. or at least the increase is lessened. But with demand so high at present its hard to predict when the demand will drop enough, and supply increase enough, to lower prices. Overall I would guess the prices will remain high, but be slightly less higher than present when we are nearing winter. I think it will take at least a year or more for production to increase and for many people to come to the conclusion that this RV life, what with the crowds, competition for nice campsites, maintenance, expenses, etc. is not the romanticized life that they expected. So maybe 2-3 years from now prices will be "normal" again. In five years its quite possible it will be a RV buyers market, maybe sooner if the economy tanks which is looking more likely as it has shown how easily it can be damaged in recent months. But I would not ever expect the supply to be so large that a molded FB camper in good condition would be inexpensive.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Yes Heather, prices on travel trailers usually do come down in the fall, but not likely on the kind of unit you're looking for.
If you have a "stickie" and are an avid camper, especially if you are a boondocker, the toll taken on your unit soon becomes obvious. Camping season is over, the unit needs maintenance and then goes into (paid) storage for the off season. Or, you could sell it off (cheap?), avoid the maintenance and save the storage fees. These are the ones that are for sale.
If you're a fiberglass disciple, things for you are different. At the end of the season your unit looks a good as it did at the beginning. You're already looking forward to next year. You have no interest in selling for any price, you already have what you want and you know it would be an easy sale should you change your mind.
I wouldn't wait until fall for a bargain that likely won't come. If you see a deal that is right for you, go for it. And if you do find that bargain next fall, buy that one too, you won't have any difficulty selling it later.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #13

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
NO!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #14

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
What I am seeing right now is some softening in demand. Since late winter you could sell fiberglass in a couple hours. Now its starting to tapper off a bit because people that were buying have bought if they could find what they want. One good indication would be to watch fiberglass classified and see how long it takes to sell. First thing that will happen is the over inflated prices will go away. If you find what you are looking for and it is at far market value then buy it now because it will cost you that anytime.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #15

Registry
To me, demand remains high, higher than ever before. But some of the nosebleed sky high priced rigs are definitively not selling in an hour or two, but many are still selling.

I sold my 17 foot Casita deluxe about four years ago. Buyer recently resold it for double what he paid me.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking at Scamp, they have a two year wait for one at present. Thor industries, Jay-Co and Airstream, currently have a one year backorder that means a $14.32 BILLION value. Are prices going to come down? Not for quite a while yet!
Even boats are out of sight. A large local dealer near me has only 4 boats on the showroom floor and 3 of them are sold. Who would have thought that a virus could affect so many businesses ? I wouldn't hold off if you want enjoy camping and travel time.
Your call.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wish I knew what was going to happen two months from now, would certainly make planning my life a lot easier.

You can always earn more money, but you can never, ever earn more time.

There are only so many days we camp in our lifetime. Don't waste them waiting around...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Who would have thought that a virus could affect so many businesses ? I wouldn't hold off if you want enjoy camping and travel time.
Your call.
Agreed
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #19

Registry
Beyond the manufacturers backlog, watch part suppliers jack up their pricing as it is nearly impossible to get help. None of the trailer manufacturers is self sufficient. All rely on others to supply appliances, electrical components, cabinet hardware and more.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #20

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
I just today ordered a 19’ Scamp that I have been wanting for 2 years. Told it would be a two year wait. Surprisingly, the price was the same as what was quoted 6 months ago, so there’s that. And since I don’t have to pay for the new rig for 22 months, I can keep looking for a decent used 19’. I don’t see the market being flooded with choices though, since everybody else is still waiting for their Scamps, too.

I did ask the salesman if it was possible that orders might be canceled as travel options returned to closer to normal. He didn’t seem to think that would happen, but as a salesman, he would say that, wouldn’t he?
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote