12 volt and 120 volt - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2020, 09:54 PM   #21

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

BTW, I'm wondering what wrong information you saw. I must have missed it.

Well, for starters, the discussion about refer starters (lighters) started off with two incorrect posts and was finally pretty much described correctly by a third. In any case it was also pretty much irrelevant to the discussion of DC circuits in general. And probably over the head of the OP.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I kinda thought that was one of the purposes of these forums so people could pose questions and get answers, opinions, and basically enjoy the benefits of the experience available. ....
It is.

But it also is not the most effective way to get a foundational education about such a wide and expansive topic. Just look at the responses so far and compare them to many well written articles on the subject of RV electrical systems which are available online. Dave (and/or John) did give a good, albeit brief, answer and I did try to briefly explain one small aspect (converters and inverters). However we only touched on the subejct. I could write up a complete essay on the benefits of having a 12 volt system and/or a 120 volt system but it would take me hours if not days to do it well, and it still might not be as helpful as many of the efforts other people have already made such as the 12 volt side of life articles.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
12 volt and 120 volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I’ll second that.

I would want a 12V system on any RV in order to power some important functions from a battery(-ies) when not plugged in. Those include lights, safety detectors, roof fans, water pump, furnace, and (on some models) fridge controls.

There are lots of different ways to accomplish that, ranging from very simple to very complex. There are different kinds of batteries and different ways to recharge those batteries.

The article will get you started with some basics. Then you can ask the right specific questions to narrow down the best 12V system for your needs.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #24

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The igniter for LP in the fridge does not use 12VDC.
it is a Piezeo electric device that produces a spark by passing a magnet by a coil.
and the refrig CONTROLS AND LPG SOLENOID are also 12vdc.
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by THene1713 View Post
and the refrig CONTROLS AND LPG SOLENOID are also 12vdc.
Maybe.. but not in my 2-way absorption fridge (Dometic RM2410). In fact it has no power connections at all. It uses no electrical power. So maybe.. maybe not.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote