12 volt help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #1

Name: Shane
Trailer: 1998 Scamp 13
Colorado
12 volt help

Was working on some upgrades yesterday and I overloaded the inverter probably even toasted it now I've got nothing. The solar still reads the battery voltage same as before. But I have no 12 volt at all. I have removed all wiring to check each battery, I did find one blown fuse and replaced it. Checked all the fuses for the converted none were blown. Should I charge the batteries and see if that's the issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
iceskater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
When you say that you "overloaded it," it would help greatly to know a little more about just what exactly you did.

Did you short out any wiring to ground somewhere during your project? Did you cross-wire something, (POS to NEG, or vice versa?)

Also, a description of the make and model of converter you have would help too, since they are not all the same.

How many batteries do you have? (Your post implies plural.)

Do you have self-resetting circuit breakers coming off the battery, (or batteries,) or perhaps replaceable fuses on the (POS) power line before the wiring gets to the converter?

Some converters have TWO 30 Amp fuses that protect the converter in the event the POS and NEG wires are hooked up accidentally to the wrong terminals. Since I don't know what converter you have, you may or may not have this feature.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Did you check the fuse comming off the positive battery terminal ?
It is located inside the battery box.
Do you have 12 VDC at the converter terminals ?
There is also a relay in the converter with a set of
N/C contacts that go bad
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #4

Colorado
12 volt help

Thanks for the replies. Well I was being stupid I guess. I was cutting vinyl tile pieces with a small jigsaw. Guess it was too much for the inverter. The converter is a Progressive 30 amp. I checked the fuses I could see but did not take the whole top off the dinette seat to really look at the converter. Will have to do that tomorrow. I did replace one fuse on the POS battery terminal that was the only one I found blown. Is there a reset button????? sorry don't know too much about wiring.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If I remember correctly there is also a fuse from the battery to the converter inside the front closet on the front wall where the wiring enters the trailer . On my 1999 Scamp it was a 20 amp fuse ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Don't forget to check the negative side of the battery.
If it is not carrying current you still get nothing.
Checking from the battery terminal out for voltage is a good plan.
(after verifying the ground (-) is good.
I can't tell you the number of times I have had my guys work for hours on a circuit without success , only to find the return side open
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #7

Colorado
Thanks to all of you on the forum for the help.. You tube also. I am up and running again... Will need a new inverter, but thats a lot less than what I thought I might have done... Lesson learned
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm thoroughly confused now. First it was an inverter, then it was a converter. I guess the problem has gone away so it's no longer an issue.

I thought you were running a jigsaw on an inverter, but then you were talking about the converter which basically does it's thing when plugged in but if that was the case, why were you running the jigsaw on the inverter?

Oh well, nevermind.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote