12 volt switch upside down? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
12 volt switch upside down?

We have a 2012 SD Casita and I noticed some of the 12 volt switches have the 'ON" to the top and some the opposite. With our 120 volt switches (like in our house), to turn the switch on, you push to the top. To turn the 120 switch off, you flip it down. What is the reason for the discord? Is this a code issue or just a blatant lazy installer not having both the 12 volt and the 120 volt switches the same? Just curious.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You should be able to remove it from it’s secured mounting, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
12v switches in our Casita and another RV, were as yours. Never made sense to me, but I got used to it.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
All the 12v switches in my Scamp are "up" for on. If they werent, I'd flip them over...even if I had to drill out rivets! I think someone nailed it- "lazy installer". I'm finding out that I think Casita has as many "quality"-related problems as SCAMP!

BUT, we're running into the same issues here in Tenn. Young folks just do NOT want to work anymore. Bring them in to a computer and give them an office job making BIG $$ they're happy. They're not willing to start at the bottom anymore like WE did when I came in having to sweep floors etc.

This is going off-topic...but we AMERCICANS are VERY spoiled now and I'm afraid it's going to be our downfall.

Ok...just flip the switches over and they'll be fine...or you'll FOREVER be flipping them the wrong way especially since they're mixed!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
All the 12v switches in my Scamp are "up" for on. If they werent, I'd flip them over...even if I had to drill out rivets! I think someone nailed it- "lazy installer". I'm finding out that I think Casita has as many "quality"-related problems as SCAMP!

BUT, we're running into the same issues here in Tenn. Young folks just do NOT want to work anymore. Bring them in to a computer and give them an office job making BIG $$ they're happy. They're not willing to start at the bottom anymore like WE did when I came in having to sweep floors etc.

This is going off-topic...but we AMERCICANS are VERY spoiled now and I'm afraid it's going to be our downfall.

Ok...just flip the switches over and they'll be fine...or you'll FOREVER be flipping them the wrong way especially since they're mixed!
It's not totally the kids fault. Their parents constantly demean anyone who works with both their head and their hands.
You could not pay me enough to sit in an office all day pushing buttons on a keyboard.
My SIL has 2 degrees ( Art & Computer Science ) yet he still hasn't mastered the skill of reading a ruler or pounding a nail.
When my children make stupid mistakes I blame myself because I failed to teach them properly.

SP switches are marked ON & OFF so if you install them upside down , the switch reads NO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #6

Illinois
When I installed lighted switches for the water pump and water heater, I installed them the correct way. Now they are like the normal 120 volt switches. The refrigerator fan switch next to the outside door is installed upside down in my opinion, but it has the ON and OFF printed on the small cover plate, so I guess there is nothing I can do about this one. This one isn't used all that often anyway.

Talking about kids not knowing things we take as common sense, when my now 31 year old daughter wanted to start driving at age 16, I showed her how to change a flat tire. I put everything back away in the trunk and then asked her to show me how to change a flat tire. She repeated everything perfect. Thank goodness I showed her how. In her first year of driving she had 3 flats and never even had to call dad! Now she changed her own oil, tune ups, etc.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jon, you rotate the switch 180 degrees, and keep the cover plate in it’s original position with “ON” at the top.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Where in the World?

We in the USA and Canada are accustomed to flip a sitch UP for "ON"
But, in Australia, it just the opposite.

In our old Scamp, and now in the ParkLiner, the only 12V switches are on the lights - oh, and one for the pump. The LED lights are mounted under the cabinets, horizontally, so the switches work side to side. If the first try doesn't work, flip it the other way.
The yard light also is a side to side switch.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

Illinois
Dave,
The switch is printed and installed with the on down and the off up. I thought about drilling out the rivits and installing like a normal 120 volt SP switch. But the cover plate is printed with the ON down and the OFF up.Guess I could turn the switch and cover plate so it would work correctly and laugh every time I see NO and FFO. Think I may just leave it alone .....not that big of a deal. Just a little pet peeve I have about quality. Glad it isn't a code issue or something important.
jon