12v accessories flicker when tapping power converter. How to bypass? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Try reading this thread, there is some discussion on what they have replaced the converters with and links to more information.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-53110.html

Something to remember, this forum has been going on for quite a few years now and you are not the first person who has a Scamp and has had converter problems. So be sure to read the archives. Also the Scamp forum archives might be of use to you.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_rex View Post
Epiloge: Resolution (a bit long)
For the love of me I can't figure out why the ground was wrapped around the gas line. Seems dangerous.
Thanks all for the guidance!
One last question, is it normal for trailer brakes to be grounded to the frame on each side?
Glad you found it K and it was what we thought, a loose or more properly...a bad connection idea.
Yes it is normal for the brakes to be grounded like that.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:04 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Glad you found it K and it was what we thought, a loose or more properly...a bad connection idea.
Yes it is normal for the brakes to be grounded like that.
On my 1999 17' Casita the brakes are NOT grounded to the frame.
They are attached to the blue brake wire and a white negative wire inside the trailer.
There are two wires grounded to the frame, one goes to the battery negative terminal and the other goes to the converter's AC ground bus bar, probably the one you found on the gas line

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:

One last question, is it normal for trailer brakes to be grounded to the frame on each side?
Normal? yes (for Scamps at least). A good practice? Maybe not. I fully expect the brake ground to the frame on my trailer to corrode and fail at some point. After all, just look at how it is exposed to the elements. At least when I start having brake problems, I will know to check this connection first and probably will run a separate ground wire to a buss inside the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171110_095925916.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #25

I'm still puzzled as to EXACTLY what was wrong with K's 19'er???? I know it appears to be a loose connection.... a thrown breaker.... but the problem: Where???
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #26

Name: K
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
The ground wire coming from the converter was simply wrapped around a gas line and not attached to the frame. The breaker was something I accidentally flipped off trying to fix the original problem.
K_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #27

Ahhh...the good ole "ground" wire. Simply wrapped around a copper tube...sounds like something Scamp would do. Just like putting under-sized wire on my Scamp's A/C unit! Caught Kent Eveland red-handed on that one.

Glad you got it fixed! Most of us like to follow these threads; the problem/solving can come in VERY handy down the road for ourselves or trying to help others.

Quote:
The ground wire coming from the converter was simply wrapped around a gas line and not attached to the frame. The breaker was something I accidentally flipped off trying to fix the original problem.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote