??? 12v Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
??? 12v Fan

Hi Everyone, snow in Co. Come on Spring! After talking with RV techs today about Fantastic Fan installation will give it a couple months charging $400. So wanting to know two things; 1. Has anyone tried using a 12v endless breeze fan? Hope to hook up a Solar Panel before it gets really hot! 2. I have a 70amp marine battery is that an overkill will it cause any problems with wiring like overheating? On the other hand brakes good, axle good. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have had 6 fantastic fans and one MaxxAir, will not return to FF. The simple 3 speed one way is noisy, you have to purchase a reverse switch and then a thermostat and then install a resistor to slow it down, the MaxxAir included everything and it can be used in the rain, the FF can not, without, ready for this, another option, the rain sensor. Oh, you also need to purchase, ready, another option, the smoke lens top that let's in more light and if you want, there is, ready, another option, a double pane smoke lens for winter use. I must have 2-3 lenses and thermostats and control kits in my garage from all the modifications that had to be done. Get the MaxAir and there are none to be made.
All run off 12v and with the low speed, very little draw.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Jim, Wanna sell some of those Fantastic Fan parts?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thinking about it, I'll have to take inventory. I know I have 2 control boards of the basic and I think 2 replacement covers. I'll check tomorrow.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We have the Constant Breeze fan. Bought it 7 years ago and have used it about 3 time since then. I would rather have the portable fan than put a hole in the roof. We've run it all night at least once while in Death Valley in April. Since the Scamp has very good ventilation it's not usually needed. We have a screen door. During those very few hot nights we've left the door open and screen closed. Fiberglass trailers are not much more secure than a a tent so leaving the door open isn't a problem.

There's been once or twice when we've cooked something with strong odors that a ceiling exhaust fan might have been nice. That was during cold weather and not wanting to open the door and windows wide open.

No A/C either.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeitall View Post
Hi Everyone, snow in Co. Come on Spring! After talking with RV techs today about Fantastic Fan installation will give it a couple months charging $400. So wanting to know two things; 1. Has anyone tried using a 12v endless breeze fan? Hope to hook up a Solar Panel before it gets really hot! 2. I have a 70amp marine battery is that an overkill will it cause any problems with wiring like overheating? On the other hand brakes good, axle good. Thanks ahead of time!

To answer your question about the 12v Endless Breeze; I bought one and found it to be too noisy; the motor had a high pitched whine, which was very dissapointing. So I returned it. I will be looking at 12v marine fans next as there are supposed to be some with a very low power draw.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have a Fantastic Fan and think it is great...Mine is not noisy and has a low draw on 12 volt. It was easy to install yourself and you can find good deals on them online or they are put on sale by the Company at least once a year. Mine has the 3 speeds and reverse and smoke lens bought on sale $200. from the local rv service people. Sorry you guys have had bad luck with them, am sure there are other good ones also.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I'm not sure we're on the same page here ... isn't the Endless Breeze the portable 12v style with an adapter to run off shore power? In any case, that's the one I was talking about.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I have a Fantastic Fan and think it is great...Mine is not noisy and has a low draw on 12 volt. It was easy to install yourself and you can find good deals on them online or they are put on sale by the Company at least once a year. Mine has the 3 speeds and reverse and smoke lens bought on sale $200. from the local rv service people. Sorry you guys have had bad luck with them, am sure there are other good ones also.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I like my FanTastic Fan, 3-spd w/ reverse (in/out), translucent cover allows adequate illumination. I haven't felt (heard) the need to add the resistor and jumper for 6-spd operation. If the Maxxis has more features at a given price point, then it must be the obvious choice. My installer (me) works cheap so the price of the barebones FF was attractive to me.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
I'm not sure we're on the same page here ... isn't the Endless Breeze the portable 12v style with an adapter to run off shore power? In any case, that's the one I was talking about.
Mine doesn't have the an adapter, or least if it did it doesn't now. Endless Breeze is what the OP was asking about and what I responded about. Everybody seems to think he was asking about Fantastic Fan.
As far as noise any fan that moves air enough to do any good is going to make some noise. I haven't found it objectionable.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
One nice thing about the ff is that the mfg. Will replace any parts free of charge if there is any problems...I find it takes little power, not too noisy and have had them on a few of my trailers. Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Anita, if its the $400 that's golding you back from a permanent instal for a fan, you should consider doing it yourself. I had no trouble installing one in my '77 Scamp, as many others on the forum have. I ordered a low profile from Vintage Trailer, got it in a couple of days, and it was a breeze to install (forgive the pun). There's lots of info on this forum. I installed it in one day--probably took me 3 hrs because I'm slow. I purchased FF, but as you can tell others here are crazy about the other brand. I'm sure they're both about the same level of difficulty to install. It was a great feeling of accomplishment too.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I have the basic Fantastic Fan and it works well. You can buy the more updated ones with more features rather than adding them but the basic one does the job well for me & and dont find it to loud. Paid about $170 for it at a Camping World sale and installed it myself. Pretty simple to do. If I was to buy another I would though buy the one that has the rain sensor though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
For a quiet portable 12v fan that does not require a hole in the roof, you might look at the Caframo.

Caframo - Ecofans, specialty fans and heaters, overhead stirrers

It has no blade housing, so much quieter than a typical fan. I mounted mine on a five inch square piece of pressure treated deck railing cap, dense enough to provide stability. It connects with a cigarette lighter plug so it can easily be stored when not in use.

I have a Maxxfan in the roof. I love being able to open it in the rain. It does not vent well without the fan running. Perhaps a Fantastic Fan with a vent cover might work better.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
QUOTE=Seeitall;376717]Hi Everyone, snow in Co. Come on Spring! After talking with RV techs today about Fantastic Fan installation will give it a couple months charging $400. So wanting to know two things; 1. Has anyone tried using a 12v endless breeze fan? Hope to hook up a Solar Panel before it gets really hot! 2. I have a 70amp marine battery is that an overkill will it cause any problems with wiring like overheating? On the other hand brakes good, axle good. Thanks ahead of time![/QUOTE]Hi: Seeitall... Here'e a couple of pic's. of the MaxxFan that I installed in our former Boler. This fan is the only way to fly!!! Comes with easy to follow instructions and I was able to fish the power wires thru the Ensolite to the upper cabinet light fixture
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie http://www.maxxair.com
Attached Thumbnails
clamp ring in.jpg   MaxxFan open.jpg  

MaxxFan Finished.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Looks like the "Endless Breeze" fan is made by Fantastic.

Fan-Tastic Vent 01100WH Endless Breeze 12V Fan : Amazon.com : Automotive
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #18

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Here is my opinion for your q.2: The input voltage of an appliance determines the current going thru it, not the amperage of supply power. So in my opinion, as long as you apply 12vdc input into a 12vdc rated fan, it's no problem for the fan, of course with suitable 12vdc supply, not a...12vdc cell phone adapter. The bigger current capability of a battery gives it longer time before running out. That's it. One more thing, shorter wiring minimize wasted energy a ong the line due to higher resistance...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #19

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
you have to purchase a reverse switch and then a thermostat
You don't have to purchase those separately. FF has numerous models, most of which come with those, which mine did and it works great. I also find their customer support to be quite good. It's draw is on the high side though, so if you plan to run it all of the time it's something to consider when boondocking if you don't plan on slowing it down with a resistor.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #20

Trailer: Bambi
Like my Endless Breeze

Had this fan for a couple years and use it often. It's not only good for inside use but I take it outside and put it on a table if needed. Like if bugs are around the air movement it creates helps keep them away. Or, if you're like me and have a small dog, I always turn it on if I have to leave him in the trailer for a short time or it's good for that outside as well because it comes with a set of hooks built into it that will allow you to hang it up on a pet fence or crate.

I have a FF in the roof also and it creates a great breeze thru the trailer but being able to move the EB around to wherever and whatever height I need is great.

That's a good price on the link in Steve Hammel's post. Less than I paid.
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote