12v surface mount led reading light ideas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
12v surface mount led reading light ideas?

We have a Trillium 1300, and looking for ideas for some 12v surface mount reading lights. We have overhead lights, but looking for something I can install in the front bunks for my pre-teen kids to use for reading quietly at night.

Looking for small discrete reading lights, surface mount with minimal depth so they don't get in the way during the day, a switch on the base and some directional capability would be a nice to have.

I have searched google, amazon, aliexpress etc but haven't really found what I am looking for. Attached some examples but wondering if anyone has other suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2021-01-16 132937.jpg   Screenshot 2021-01-16 132906.png  

breakthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #2

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
These captain light work very well . They need to be hard wired. Not sure if you want wired or battery operated .
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L3BXX4...ing=UTF8&psc=1
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This lamp can be used all around camp, not just in bed.
Great for chores.

https://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-STS-Headlamp.asp
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 5.43.24 PM.jpg  
Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #4

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
reading lamps

I second the headlamp suggestion. I use one for reading and gave some to my grandkids - they love them. There are many choices - so check out headlamp reviews on the web.

You can also use Luci Lights - solar chargeable portable lanterns for reading. https://www.amazon.com/luci-light/s?k=luci+light

The Luci Lights and headlamps are perfect for anyone camping; kids like either one. I keep both in my Scamp, for reading, hiking, around campsite at night.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Headlamps are a good idea. Clip-on reading lights are good too. I use one of these, because I'm against "cool" light leds at night. But the concept of the clip-on is what I'm suggesting. You can even clip them to the book you're reading. I know some people use them around the house, since they can read at night and go wherever they want with their own light source and not bother anyone.

The spot I sit to read in my camper has places just overhead, which I clip this light to. Works great for me and easy to recharge with a usb cord.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:52 PM   #6

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Hella makes a number of different map and reading lights for marine and automotive use. They are all pricey however. The nicest one is a white and red switchable LED light on a 15 inch flex extension (hardmounted base) but it is $130!!!!!

They also have some incandesent ones that are about $45 but those would be battery suckers in comparison.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...0622?rrec=true

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...2171?rrec=true
Old 01-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I have 2 of the Luci lights. They are great. I waited until I had a $10 reward from Eastern Mountain sports before buying. I paid $4.99 for one and $9.99 for the other. I use my tablet to read books so I don't need a reading light. I also can carry a large library with me.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light