2013 Scamp lights suddenly dimmed! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
2013 Scamp lights suddenly dimmed!

On 7th night of being connected to campground power the lights suddenly went dim. I connected the tow with engine running. Lights brightened. I guess I've been draining my 24v deep cell, but why?

Is my converter broken? I noticed that the breaker on right side of control panel were all on except for the lowest one, a 20a breaker. I have a 30, three 15 and then the 20 amp breaker, top down. The 20a was off. Does it control the converter output? I thought it was for my 'air conditioner ready' option that was included. (?). I turned it on.

In the cabinet under the control panel is an electrical component with a large heat sink. It is not warm. There is a 120v plug hanging above it. I wonder what it is for and where it would be plugged in? , part of 'air conditioner ready' option ?

A bit confused, and a number of nights yet to camp, or so I think.

What questions and advice have you?

Advice?

I will soon turn off the engine and disconnect.

Rather late at night to post this on this cool foggy Galveston night.
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Can't help you with your problem.......but feel sure someone that can will sign in soon.

Yes it is cool and foggy in Galveston tonight. Tomorrow might bring some showers and some south east winds,but it should be in the 70's,so that should be good. How long will you be there?? If you don't mind my asking.Were are you camped? DH and I live about an hour way from Galveston.

Happy Camping.....
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsironi View Post
On 7th night of being connected to campground power the lights suddenly went dim. I connected the tow with engine running. Lights brightened. I guess I've been draining my 24v deep cell, but why?

Is my converter broken? I noticed that the breaker on right side of control panel were all on except for the lowest one, a 20a breaker. I have a 30, three 15 and then the 20 amp breaker, top down. The 20a was off. Does it control the converter output? I thought it was for my 'air conditioner ready' option that was included. (?). I turned it on.

In the cabinet under the control panel is an electrical component with a large heat sink. It is not warm. There is a 120v plug hanging above it. I wonder what it is for and where it would be plugged in? , part of 'air conditioner ready' option ?

A bit confused, and a number of nights yet to camp, or so I think.

What questions and advice have you?

Advice?

I will soon turn off the engine and disconnect.

I'm sure you meant 12V deep cell.
First look under the portside rear bench and make sure that your converter is plugged in. It is not hardwired as you might expect.
There is an outlet in that same bench compartment for that purpose.
I advise a gentle and slight twist to each blade on the plug to insure a firm connection. This is a common issue and very likely.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #4

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I'm a little late but your converter is under plugged. Mine has done it a few times when traveling. I taped the plug to the case. After having it unplug itself.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #5

Wisconsin
Darrell, Many thanks. Now plugged in and working. That has been unplugged for a long time, maybe from factory pick up day in July? Thinking about our usage of the DC electric, we have probably done a deep draw down of the battery twice.

I guess we can stay here at Dellanera RV Campground for another night; no need for a long drive! Maybe the sun will break through for a sea wall bike ride.

David
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
David highly recommend you pick yourself up a 12V plug in battery monitor. Well worth the $20 or less to help keep yourself from really shortening your battery life by running it down. Some may suggest a more expensive type of monitoring system but having something is better than nothing. I have a pretty cheap one that does the basic job and will give a beep or two as a heads up that the battery has drawn down to 50%.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #7

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David highly recommend you pick yourself up a 12V plug in battery monitor. Well worth the $20 or less to help keep yourself from really shortening your battery life by running it down. Some may suggest a more expensive type of monitoring system but having something is better than nothing. I have a pretty cheap one that does the basic job and will give a beep or two as a heads up that the battery has drawn down to 50%.

Carol,
Yes. Intend to do so. Need to wire a 12v outlet first.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsironi View Post
Carol,
Yes. Intend to do so. Need to wire a 12v outlet first.
Thanks
Dang, really surprised your Scamp didn't come with one as standard equipment.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I guess we can stay here at Dellanera RV Campground for another night; no need for a long drive! Maybe the sun will break through for a sea wall bike ride.

Nice campground.....hope y'll enjoyed your stay and got the ride bikes on sea wall today,It is a very nice ride.

If you( or anyone ) comes this way again...PM me ahead of time if you would like and maybe we can met up for coffee or lunch.

Have a safe trip and Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, scamp