2016 Scamp 13' no power. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #1

Name: So0perugly
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
California
2016 Scamp 13' no power.

Hey guys. Purchased this Scamp yesterday. New to Scamps. Its is parked at my inlaws. First night I got it, i plughed in the power supply cord to an outlet in the house. I was using the fan and the wall outlets to charge my phone. Today my wife and baby were goi g to sleep in the Scamp. I turned on the AC and the fan. It was running for a about two to three minutes. I went in the house to grab somethi g and when I came out the AC was off and I no longer had power in the outlets. I checked all of my fuses in the box below my bench and they were all good. Non of the breakers were popped. I cant seem to figure out what happened. Please help.
SO0PERUGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Breaker in house is tripped, or gfci outside plug is tripped
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:40 AM   #3

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
If it's not the plug at the house, then check the back of the fuse box in the Scamp. There is a plug at the converter that needs to be plugged in also. We've had that come unplugged a few times. Don.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SO0PERUGLY View Post
... I went in the house to grab something and when I came out the AC was off and I no longer had power in the outlets. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
If it's not the plug at the house, then check the back of the fuse box in the Scamp. There is a plug at the converter that needs to be plugged in also. We've had that come unplugged a few times. Don.
Of course the converter being plugged in or not has nothing to do with the lack of power at the 120 volt AC outlets.

Even if the breakers did not appear tripped, cycle them anyway. Then get your voltmeter out and start at the source (house outlet) and work you way down the chain until you find the power is out.

Sounds like the problem happened when you used the A/C. If its a roof A/C then many would say it is not advisable to run the A/C when plugged into a house outlet. Especially if its 15 amp and a shared circuit. Especially if you use any other 120 volt stuff in the camper. And very much especially if you use a standard extension cord or an adapter rated at only 15 amps (you may have fried the adapter). The roof A/C requires more power than you often get at a home outlet. If you have a window unit (5,000 BTU) then it should work OK but I would still limit the other things in use at the camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 I have friends trying to run their larger camper in the driveway, using a 15A circuit and a 50 ft extension cord. Not a good idea if they want to run AC. I recommended they add a 30A circuit and an RV outlet closer to where they park their trailer so they can use the cord on the trailer without an extension cord.

And if you are using a garage circuit, look out for a GFI plug somewhere. Take a hair dryer or any other portable appliance, plug it into the house outlet. Do you have power there? If its good, plug into the end of the extension cord. If that is good, try an outlet on the Scamp. Do you have outside outlet(s)? If so, you will have a GFI somewhere.

Don't expect a 30A camper, running your AC, to work on a 15A household circuit, one that may well have other loads on it already (or a 20A circuit either). Once you start AC, load is too big. Now on a devoted circuit, no other loads, and 20A breaker, you might get by OK. No super long extension cord.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
A/C stops when plugged into house

I had the same problem and came to the conclusion the power loss due to the length of the extension cord and its smaller wire gauge. The A/C works fine at RV parks. My son is a contractor and will install a 30 amp dedicated RV outlet close to where my Scamp is parked.

Electric motors hate low voltage. If they don't shut down they can suffer permanent damage.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

Name: So0perugly
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
So... I checked out the converter. Check the 30 fuse it has and ut was still good. Took it out and put it back in. I then reset all of the breakers and pulled and checked the fuses one by one. I dont know what I did but I got power back in my outlets. Everything seems to be in order. Thank you guys for your input.
SO0PERUGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If I trip the main AC Breaker in my 79 Boler I have to unplug then plug in the power cord before I can reset the breaker.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: michael
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Spent 40 years trouble shooting large computer systems. One rule I followed if I ever wanted to know what a problem was is to just make one change at a time. Check the result and go on to the next likely change.
mweichel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp