2018 Scamp 13 Electric Upgrades - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Bridget
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
2018 Scamp 13 Electric Upgrades

I want to swap out my dead lead acid battery for a LiFePO4 and relocate it inside the camper. I'd also like to add BMS, 12v/12v charger from TV and prep for a future solar panel.

Since I don't have any experience with 12v systems I would prefer to use a professional so I have someone to go back to with questions or if something isn't working properly. However, again because I have no experience, it is hard to choose an installer.

That's why I'm posting here - to see if any fellow members can recommend a good RV Electrical Installer in the Kent Island area of Maryland?
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
electric upgrades

Good luck with finding someone local. I have looked around where I live and you’d think I was asking how to make a bomb, they all lose interest quick when I say it’s for my RV. The best help I’ve found is on this website, there’s someone for just any problem you have. But if you do find someone local, that’s great. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
I assume there is a reason batteries are outside, be safe!
John
Old 01-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Can't help you with your locality, but I can tell you what I did. Found a local mobile RV technician to do the work. Then I ordered the batteries (2 ea Battleborn heated 100 Ah 12V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Batteries) and related accessories from https://battlebornbatteries.com/. Had to replace the converter/charger (Progressive Dynamics 45Amp LiFePO4 Converter Charger). Installed a Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A Isolated Charger to charge batteries from my pickup's 12 volt system while traveling. Also a SmartShunt 1000A/50mV bluetooth battery monitor. Had to run a 6 gauge wire from pickup's battery to connect to trailer's battery and a 6 gauge wire from the converter charger to the trailers battery. Also replaced the Scamp 30 amp connector/inlet with a https://smartplug.com/product/smartplug-combo-kit/ to insure a solid electrical hook-up.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #5

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Can't help you with your locality, but I can tell you what I did. Found a local mobile RV technician to do the work. Then I ordered the batteries and related accessories from https://battlebornbatteries.com/. Had to replace the converter/charger (Progressive Dynamics 45Amp LiFePO4 Converter Charger). Installed a Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A Isolated Charger to charge batteries from my pickup's 12 volt system while traveling. Also a SmartShunt 1000A/50mV bluetooth battery monitor. Had to run a 6 gauge wire from pickup's battery to connect to trailer's battery and a 6 gauge wire from the converter charger to the trailers battery. Also replaced the Scamp 30 amp connector/inlet with a https://smartplug.com/product/smartplug-combo-kit/ to insure a solid electrical hook-up.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #6

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Can't help you with your locality, but I can tell you what I did. Found a local mobile RV technician to do the work. Then I ordered the batteries and related accessories from https://battlebornbatteries.com/. Had to replace the converter/charger (Progressive Dynamics 45Amp LiFePO4 Converter Charger). Installed a Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A Isolated Charger to charge batteries from my pickup's 12 volt system while traveling. Also a SmartShunt 1000A/50mV bluetooth battery monitor. Had to run a 6 gauge wire from pickup's battery to connect to trailer's battery and a 6 gauge wire from the converter charger to the trailers battery. Also replaced the Scamp 30 amp connector/inlet with a https://smartplug.com/product/smartplug-combo-kit/ to insure a solid electrical hook-up.
Yes! I have heard great things about the Victron Orion-TR Smart! I think that is a key thing you do not want to leave out. The site "endless sphere" is full of people who are experts in Li-ion electrical stuff. But maybe more practically, if you are in Maryland you might be able to find someone who does electrical work for boats. This is very similar to what people do with boats all the time I think. This is not actually that difficult. Buy quality stuff, like the Victron TR smart. Maybe Peter Kennedy Yacht Services (PKYS) can help.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetMills View Post
I want to swap out my dead lead acid battery for a LiFePO4 and relocate it inside the camper. I'd also like to add BMS, 12v/12v charger from TV and prep for a future solar panel.

Since I don't have any experience with 12v systems I would prefer to use a professional so I have someone to go back to with questions or if something isn't working properly. However, again because I have no experience, it is hard to choose an installer.

That's why I'm posting here - to see if any fellow members can recommend a good RV Electrical Installer in the Kent Island area of Maryland?
You are on Kent Island? Boat people can do this as well as RV people. It is pretty much the same. If you are still looking I might be able to help you find someone there (even though I am in California). I just bought some 12 volt stuff from PKYS in Maryland.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:46 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
I assume there is a reason batteries are outside, be safe!
John
Yes, it is because the battery is full of caustic acid and it vents explosive gas when its being charged. But LifePO4 don't have acid, dont vent, and are about as safe as any battery can be. Its very reasonable to store one inside. However removing a heavy lead-acid battery from the tongue might well throw off the weight balance for the trailer (it did for me). So one should keep sway risk in mind and maintain proper tongue weight on your hitch.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #9

Maryland
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post.

There are plenty of marine electronics installers in my area, but I was hoping to get a recommendation from this forum.

I've had "experts" perform work, only to have the next "expert" tell me the last guy did it wrong and they will have to fix it. Then, another expert comes along and says the same thing about the last guy.
I can do the install myself but would prefer hiring someone that I trust knows what they are doing.
Battery on Tongue - currently there is a single lead acid on the tongue. I want to replace with two 100Ah LiFePO inside. I will still have two fiberglass LP tanks and electric jack on the tongue so I'm not concerned about too little weight.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post.

There are plenty of marine electronics installers in my area, but I was hoping to get a recommendation from this forum.

I've had "experts" perform work, only to have the next "expert" tell me the last guy did it wrong and they will have to fix it. Then, another expert comes along and says the same thing about the last guy.
I can do the install myself but would prefer hiring someone that I trust knows what they are doing.
Battery on Tongue - currently there is a single lead acid on the tongue. I want to replace with two 100Ah LiFePO inside. I will still have two fiberglass LP tanks and electric jack on the tongue so I'm not concerned about too little weight.
There may be others on this forum who know more, but I think I could help you design that. I would suggest using high quality components; everything from Victron is high-quality I believe, and the Orion TR smart, mentioned above by parmm is a good start. I assume you will want to be able to charge from your tow vehicle, or from 110 and solar. And you will need a good fuse, Maybe ANL. Anyway I can help and I am willing to design that if you like. Do you, or does anyone here, have a good idea what the fuse at the batteries should be? Is 35 amps too high? Hmmm. Maybe 20 amps in which case you may have to use a blade type fuse. At 35 amps an ANL fuse becomes a possibility and those seem better to me, though more expensive. I don't think this is difficult in principle. It is all about the charging and the fuse, since the rest is seamless as far as I understand.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:38 PM   #11

Name: Jeff
Trailer: scamp
Kansas
Registry
Quote:

Battery's Give off acid fumes and can not be installed inside a closed space.
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #12

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Lithium ion batteries do not off-gas and can be stored inside, on their side, or any other way. I just purchased a Battleborn 100 ah lithium ion battery and it was a simple drop in replacement. According to Sean at Battleborn, I did not have to replace my charger converter, but simply purchased this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on Amazon and plugged it into the existing converter charger. I did it myself and it was actually pretty easy. I did have to use a torque wrench per the instructions for the Battleborn battery. It even charges with my Renogy solar panels. I am now a happy camper
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
Lithium ion batteries do not off-gas and can be stored inside, on their side, or any other way. I just purchased a Battleborn 100 ah lithium ion battery and it was a simple drop in replacement. According to Sean at Battleborn, I did not have to replace my charger converter, but simply purchased this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on Amazon and plugged it into the existing converter charger. I did it myself and it was actually pretty easy. I did have to use a torque wrench per the instructions for the Battleborn battery. It even charges with my Renogy solar panels. I am now a happy camper
This is good to know. Did you not have to change your solar controller or add anything to your tow vehicle?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Hi Shelby,
I didn't have to swap out my 7-pin and I connect my solar suitcase w/ controller directly to the battery, but I do hope to have someone with knowledge of solar to check it out at Quartzite when I'm there in February.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:11 PM   #15

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Thanks
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 13’ Scamp
Maryland
Quote:

Jim Donnie’s in Glen Burnie is where I go. Call them to see if you like what they offer. I found them best of the ones I’ve been in touch with in the area. Good luck. Hope that helps.

Robink
Robink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:53 AM   #17

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robink View Post
Jim Donnie’s in Glen Burnie is where I go. Call them to see if you like what they offer. I found them best of the ones I’ve been in touch with in the area. Good luck. Hope that helps.

Robink

Thank you Robink!

Bridget
Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
I want to swap out my dead lead acid battery for a LiFePO4 and relocate it inside the camper.
I forgot to mention - get the heated batteries. Then you don't need to relocated them inside.

Tags
scamp