7 pin connector for solar suitcase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
7 pin connector for solar suitcase

I’d like to get 100 watt solar panel for our modest electric needs, and I'm leaning towards the Renogy Eclipse Solar Suitcase with 20 Amp Voyager Charge Controller. What I especially like about this setup is the waterproof controller; what I dislike is the alligator clips. Go Power sells a 7 pin connector for their solar suitcase. But their controller is not waterproof. (Plus the kit is more expensive.) The Go Power 7 pin connector has an Anderson style connection to the solar panel.
Anyone have experience adapting the 7 pin/ Anderson connector to the Renogy solar suitcase? A 7 pin to mc4 adapter perhaps? I have no electrical experience, so looking for something plug-and-play.
Thanks in advance for any help.
sunnyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Two suggestios:
1) Clip of the alegator clips and wire the positive/negative to a 7-pin connector that you can't on Amazon or elsewhere.
2) My preference would be to clip off the clips and add a Anderson PowerPoint connector. Then but a Anderson cable off Amazon the has the battery lugs on the other end.

There are other common connectors that would accomplish the same. I mentioned the Anderson because you did and that's what I use for my ham radios. A friend has built several cables for me for the price of the connectors. It does require a special crimper.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:56 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Why would you want a 7 pin connector? You would not want to connect a solar panel to a tow vehicle and would not want to connect it to the trailer battery via the 7 pin, too much voltage loss trying to charge through the converter.
The clips are made to connect directly to a battery, positive and negative so the panel can charge the battery directly through the supplied controller. All you need is a connection to the battery from the solar panel.

If you do not want to use the supplied alligator clips then replace them with a Anderson style and a fused Anderson connector on the battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23390727516...sAAOSw6cZhNDLD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29436137525...e56551ba90dffd

That way it’s a simple plug and play process.
MC4 connectors are not meant to be connected/disconnected continuously as they are waterproof connections meant to be connected and left alone and require a tool to disconnect.

Another option, one I used, is to get a SAE/MC4 connector (10 foot) at the panel end and a SAE fused pigtail at the battery. This way is a simple connection from the panel to the battery. Further yet you could add a SAE port at the battery door, wired directly to the battery and plug the SAE panel end directly in to the port, a more permanent solution.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29469427408...8626c9e5e935c0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29479174308...c8657d6346e74a

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28463928608...af4f9cc5ca7630

The Renogy system is a great set up and the all inclusive package works well and is near foolproof.
There are many, easy solutions available.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoboss View Post
Why would you want a 7 pin connector? You can not hook a solar panel to a tow vehicle and would not want to connect it to the trailer batter via the 7 pin, too much voltage loss.
The clips are made to connect directly to a battery, positive and negative so the panel can charge the battery through the supplied controller.

If you do not want to use the supplied alligator clips then replace them with a Anderson style and a fused Anderson connector on the battery. That way it’s a simple plug and play process.
MC4 connectors are not meant to be connected/disconnected continuously as they are waterproof connections meant to be connected and left alone.

Another option, one I used, is to get a SAE/MC4 connector at the panel end and a SAE fused pigtail at the battery. This way is a simple connection from the panel to the battery. Further yet you could add a SAE port at the battery door, wired directly to the battery and plug the SAE panel end directly in to the port.

There are many, easy solutions available.
I believe the battery on a Scamp 13 is on the front yoke. The wire run is short enough that you are not going to see much, if anything in the way of voltage drop with a 100 watt solar panel.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:25 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I believe the battery on a Scamp 13 is on the front yoke. The wire run is short enough that you are not going to see much, if anything in the way of voltage drop with a 100 watt solar panel.
Ah ha! Not familiar but makes sense.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar