7-pin connector not snapping in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
7-pin connector not snapping in

When I try to connect to the Casita's 7-pin cable to my F-150's 7-pin receiver, it makes contact, but does not "snap" in to place. I think it snapped in once, but not any more. Or maybe I imagined it snapped it. Two times I "connected" it, all the lights work, but one of the times the F150's tow controller said the trailer was not connected.

I bought some dialectric lubricant, and put a drop in each of the 7-pin holes on the cable, and it still wont "snap" in. It looks like the pins in the F150s receiver are pushing against the pin-receivers in the Casita's cable, but not going in. I am afraid to force it, because I don't want to break anything right before I go on a long trip.

I put a flathead screwdriver in pin-receivers to make sure they are not jammed close, and it was easy to get the flathead in. I don't see any obviously damaged parts. I tried wiggling the cable, different angles, etc. The "fin" on the outside of the cable is aligned with the "slot" in the F150s receiver.

Any suggestions, or maybe the not all connections "snap" in?
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
It sounds like you may have already checked this, but I had a similar problem and found that one of the connectors on my trailer plug was bent the wrong way. It looked OK at first glance but closer inspection showed the issue. A small screwdriver bent it back in place and everything fit again. By the way, mine doesn’t really snap in, it just pushes in past the cover clip with a little final tight push/wiggle. The cover keeps the plug in for the connection.

Just noticed my profile shows my UHaul trailer in the profile. That was 5 years ago. Weird! I just corrected it. Now we’ll see if it sticks.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Mine never has

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
When I try to connect to the Casita's 7-pin cable to my F-150's 7-pin receiver, it makes contact, but does not "snap" in to place. I think it snapped in once, but not any more. Or maybe I imagined it snapped it. Two times I "connected" it, all the lights work, but one of the times the F150's tow controller said the trailer was not connected.
My 2016 never has, but the f150 cover holds it in place and it has never fallen out.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #4

Iowa
I got it in about 1/2 way, I had to push really hard. Hard enough to roll the truck forward. Hopefully it gets easier, since I plan to disconnect and reconnect the 7-pin each night. I think the middle pin on the Casita's plug is almost too big for the pin-receiver on the truck.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Mine feels that way too. Although the socket cover catches the plug and holds it in. I suspect the two halves are from different manufacturers and not a good match.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #6

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Question trailer electrical 7 pin connector

I'm on my second trailer pin connector. The first fell out of the car's receiver while traveling and wound up being crushed before I discovered it had disconnected.

Now when I connect the trailer electrical cord to my receiver on the car, it doesn't snap or stay in well, and the cover doesn't seem to "lock it".

I can live w/o electricity while camping, but I can't travel without electric brakes on the trailer.

Any suggestions on how to insure the receiver's cover keeps the pin in place? Duck tape or ??
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #7

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I'm on my second trailer pin connector. The first fell out of the car's receiver while traveling and wound up being crushed before I discovered it had disconnected.
You just inspired me to add a safety rope to my plug.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6398.jpg   IMG_6399.jpg  

IMG_6400.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #8

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
My old TV with a after market 7 pin connector seated nice with a “click”. My new Jeep with an integrated plug doesn’t “click” but it seems like a solid connection and the spring loaded cover holds it in. At first it bothered me, but it seems like it is functioning per design. Let me know if you think otherwise.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
7-pin connector

There is a simple plastic clamp the wraps around the connector and makes it impossible to become disconnected. When the connector is installed all the way in and the cover goes all the way down, this clamp wraps around and you manually screw it tight. It provides a good feeling that the connector won't come apart.
It's almost 11:00 PM, and pitch black dark outside. Plus it's past my bedtime.
I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow to make clear what I'm trying to describe here.
Larry Singer
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:07 AM   #10

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Singer View Post
There is a simple plastic clamp the wraps around the connector and makes it impossible to become disconnected. When the connector is installed all the way in and the cover goes all the way down, this clamp wraps around and you manually screw it tight. It provides a good feeling that the connector won't come apart.
It's almost 11:00 PM, and pitch black dark outside. Plus it's past my bedtime.
I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow to make clear what I'm trying to describe here.
Larry Singer
It's a "Camco 39103 Multi Clamp"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUQOAY/

Old 08-15-2021, 05:15 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I have towed trailers with three (3) different F-150s and the 7-Pin connector on the trailer’s umbilical cord never “snapped” to the receptacle on any of them. A visual inspection reveals that the Ford’s receptacle’s cover is designed to retain the 7-pin plug as described by a previous poster. The same is true of a aftermarket harnesses (from 2 manufacturers) I installed in the bed of two of my F-150s to use with my Escape 5.0TA (a 5th wheel). The only “snap” I have ever heard is when I released the spring closing cover after plugging the umbilical cord in. And plugging in the cord should not require any effort that would “move” the tow vehicle much. I suggest putting a cap on the plug when not in use to keep dirt (grit) out of its sockets, which could be the cause of difficult seating. Anti-oxidation sprays are also helpful in keeping the electrical contact surfaces in top shape. And if the cover isn’t retaining the cord, then it is time to replace the receptacle.

I apologize if my next comment offends some, but many malfunctions occur as a result of previous improper handling or usage, either by a current or previous owner, regardless if the item in question is an umbilical connector, a trailer coupler, a door latch, an extension cord, etc. And please note that I said MANY, because long term wear from extended usage can also cause item failure, though I suspect not using common sense and proper maintenance between uses is more often the problem.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
To Whoot:
Yep, that's exactly the part I was referring to.
I'm glad you found it.
IMHO I think it's worth every penny, if nothing more then peace of mind.
Larry Singer
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #13

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
It just pushes in, the vehicles connector cover has a tab on it that catches the lug on the connector to hold it in. If the spring on the cover is weak or broken then it can easily fall out.

Charles
Old 08-18-2021, 03:21 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
the cover has a latch and the plug has a square nub that the latch will catch on. I once didn't get the latch to hook, and the plug dragged on the ground for a few miles and road wore off that little nub. So now i just wrap a bungee cord around the plug and then around the socket to hold in place, i will replace plug at some point but ... why?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #15

Name: Brooks
Trailer: Escape 17B
Alaska
I had this same problem when I took delivery of our new Escape 17B. The tow vehicle plug that had worked for 7 years with our old Scamp, would not hold the Escape plug in place. There was a 1/2” gap between the vehicle OEM receptacle nub and the trailer plug nub. So, it would disconnect at random intervals. I replaced both with the e-z connect system from etrailer, but later found out that a Hopkins receptacle would have solved the problem. But I love the e-z connect system. It doesn’t just click, it actually pulls the plug out of your hand and attaches it to the receptacle magnetically. Just don’t let your finger get in between both parts.
Brooks Wade is offline   Reply With Quote