'77 Scamp Electrical Help Needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
'77 Scamp Electrical Help Needed

I'm slowly working my way through my Scamp to-do list. Today I spent the day replacing the 12v wiring to my new LED lights and 12v recepticles. All went well, but I'm puzzled about the 2 posts under the sink. Why is this here and should I leave it alone? I guess my chief concern is risk of electical shock.

Also, I'm going to be installing a 100w solar panel next week. If I attach the solar controller to these two posts, can I charge and regulate the battery? I had planned to attach solar the standard way, directly to my battery, but just a thought that this would be an easier install if it would work. I'm clueless!

Also, I've attached pix of the 120w box. Its not pretty but everthing i working fine. Should I replace it or would it be okay to leave it alone? Any advice is appreciated.
I'm having trouble uploading the pictures, so it may take me a little while.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

California
Registry
Pictures of 12v posts under the sink. Why oh why???
Attached Thumbnails
P1020531.jpg   P1020532.jpg  

Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

California
Registry
120v--Change or leave it alone?? You know what they say: if it ain't broken...
Attached Thumbnails
P1020534.jpg   P1020535.jpg  

Old 03-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If those 12 volt posts are on fiberglass then they are insulated from each other, but it's also possible some metal object could touch them both causing a short. Looks like someone's home made setup. I'd eliminate them and do something better.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Just as a first intuitive guess is that someone set it up so an internal 12vdc supply or charger could be connected to it using alligator clips that are some times used on chargers??????? IF you have your battery connected do you read 12vdc with a test light or voltmeter?
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Just as a first intuitive guess is that someone set it up so an internal 12vdc supply or charger could be connected to it using alligator clips that are some times used on chargers??????? IF you have your battery connected do you read 12vdc with a test light or voltmeter?
That's what I thought too Mike. Don't know exactly what you'd hook up inside though?? I haven't checked with a voltmeter, but will do that tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
In your pictures, it seems 2 posts having wires connected there. If I were you, I would have visual inspect to see where those wires leading to. When hook up with towing vehicle, I would use volt meter to check if there is any voltage drop across them (it must be VDC). Besides, I woud have visual inspect to see where those posts housing on, mechanically. If without wires connected in them, just using Ohm meter to see if they are connected each other. It looks like those post were made from DIY project from previous owner for his/her own convenience( like charging battery or using as terminals for out-side source). About 120VAC, if I were you, I would re arrange wires to make them secured and safe also get rid off those wirings which lead...nowhere, for example. Just my opinion...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

California
Registry
Thanks Randy. I'll trace the wires more thoroughly tomorrow and use my volt meter to figure out what I can. I first thought it was standard Scamp install, but after looking at pictures of other people's under sink areas, decided it was home grown. You can't tell by the picture, but they are quite large, probably 3+ inches. They are really in the way for needed storage. I had some items stored under there, and began thinking it wasn't a good idea because some items are metal. Wondered if they would short out if item touched . Since they're there though, I'm trying to think of any way I can benefit from them. Ideas welcome. I'm womdering if the former owner had a second battery under tne front seat attached to the posts.
I'm in the process of cleaning up the wiring and will be securing and removing wiring that goes no where (like the wound up red wires under the sink).
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If I was a betting man, I bet they plugged the camper into 120, left the converter off, and plugged in a trickle charger and hooked it to those.

I'm close to done with replacing all my electrical (most wire included), some of the stuff I've found is just plain ridiculous, and some dangerous.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #10

California
Registry
Awww, good thought Jared since there isn't a converter. Maybe his work-around for no converter. Seems to me though it would have been easier to add a converter. I don't know if all '77s came without converters-just wondering???? I bought it from the original owner and I'm very happy with it, but I'm having to learn as I go regarding the electrical system.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
In your pictures, it seems 2 posts having wires connected there. If I were you, I would have visual inspect to see where those wires leading to. When hook up with towing vehicle, I would use volt meter to check if there is any voltage drop across them (it must be VDC).
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the color? A white wire and a green wire? For 12 volts DC white is usually negative and black (or red) is positive. In 110 volts AC wiring white is neutral, black is hot, and green is ground. I'm confused.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Awww, good thought Jared since there isn't a converter. Maybe his work-around for no converter. Seems to me though it would have been easier to add a converter. I don't know if all '77s came without converters-just wondering???? I bought it from the original owner and I'm very happy with it, but I'm having to learn as I go regarding the electrical system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the color? A white wire and a green wire? For 12 volts DC white is usually negative and black (or red) is positive. In 110 volts AC wiring white is neutral, black is hot, and green is ground. I'm confused.
Simple answer, people use what they have. I would stick a meter on it and check, but I bet it's 12v. which wire is which, is anybody's guess.

After what I've seen a factory will do, all bets are off.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #13

California
Registry
Good eye Frederick. I thought that was strange too. One is green and the second actually looks grey to me. I got out my owner's manual tonight which includes a wiring diagram in hope of figuring out the wiring. Of course the wiring diagram shows green wires are for tail lights. So no clue there. My thought is that when the owner added this, "mod", he used whatever colors he had or were on sale that week.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well below is the wiring diagram from mine which is a bit newer but Scamp isnt known for changing much over the years They do show a Green wire running from the 120V breaker box to the converter ground. Also some red wires where used for the TV booster which on mine also has the 12V plug built into it - does the trailer have a 12v plug in it? if not that may be what the red wires under the sink that are wrapped up went to.
Attached Thumbnails
electrical.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #15

California
Registry
Thanks for the diagram Carol. It's much more complex than the one I have. My '77 was very basic, and I believe they probably did some additions over time. I have AC plugs, but don't believe there was ever a TV booster. I'll take your diagram with mine to the trailer tomorrow and try to sort through it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Thanks for the diagram Carol. It's much more complex than the one I have. My '77 was very basic, and I believe they probably did some additions over time. I have AC plugs, but don't believe there was ever a TV booster. I'll take your diagram with mine to the trailer tomorrow and try to sort through it.
Your welcome. Send me a PM with your email address if you would like a bigger better resolution one. Your trailer may not have had a TV booster but I believe on trailers that dont have the TV booster/12V plug combo they just put in a 12v plug..... could be wrong though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Linda if you need a larger copy of the diagram Carol provided, you can download it from the Document Center here: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - WiringDiagram_Scamp
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #18

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Electrical

...Here is what my long time teacher told me regarding to ELECTRICAL STUFFS: DO not believe what you HEARD AND ONLY BELIEVE... A HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE...Test, test, and...test. Check, check and....check. Just a quote for fun into any attemp of repair/modification...ect. Thanks for reading.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #19

California
Registry
[QUOTE=Thinh;369992 DO not believe what you HEARD AND ONLY BELIEVE... A HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE...Test, test, and...test. Check, check and....check.[/QUOTE]

And THAT is probably the best advice ever given on the forum. The best thing is I'm learning as I'm doing. They say that learning new things is the best thing to prevent dementia. I know I have posted many dumb questions on the forum, but I always get smart answers. Thank you all!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #20

California
Registry
Update

I did my investigation today as everyone suggested. The 2 posts are indeed remote battery terminals. The green is pos and white is neg. They go only to the battery. I hooked up my float charger under the sink which is an easy way to do it. I don't have to leave the battery box open now.
The rats nest of wires under the sink go from the 6 pin connector for TV to the trailer exterior travel lights. A couple of wires (the red one) were replaced and instead of removing the old wires, they just left them, and taped the ends. I cleaned up the wiring and I feel much better about the state of the wiring.
So now I'd like to get your thoughts on using those remote battery terminals located under the sink, and attach the solar controller to it. Is that as efficient as connecting directly to the battery?
Thanks in advance everyone.
Linda

Tags
electrical, scamp