AC Electrical Wire Choice Romex vs Stranded - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #21

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Stranded vs Solid Wire

Airplanes, boats, trucks and cars all use stranded wire since it will hold up better than solid wire. The RV industry has gotten by with using Romex but they are not constantly in motion like other vehicles. Would you fly on an airplane with Romex wiring?
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #22

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I generally use NMW type romex, it is designed for damp locations, it works well with any type of outlet, just take your time, and do it correctly
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
look at using this wire, best of both worlds. its expensive but you are not using miles of it.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor...hoCzvoQAvD_BwE
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
look at using this wire, best of both worlds. its expensive but you are not using miles of it.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor...hoCzvoQAvD_BwE
That is probably the best wire there is for boats and trailers. Excellent stuff. Likely better than needed for trailers because of its superior corrosion resistance designed for marine use. You can't go wrong with marine romex, as long as you don't try to use the stab connections on the plugs.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One needs to look at the actual failure rate and not at the possible or hypothetical failure rate . If the actual failure rate is one in a billion how far do we go to eliminate that one failure if that is even possible
For example using marine wire in a trailer , if your trailer is damp/ wet enough on the inside to require marine wire your trailer would be destroyed by mold / mildew and rot long before the wiring failed .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #26

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
One needs to look at the actual failure rate and not at the possible or hypothetical failure rate . If the actual failure rate is one in a billion how far do we go to eliminate that one failure if that is even possible
For example using marine wire in a trailer , if your trailer is damp/ wet enough on the inside to require marine wire your trailer would be destroyed by mold / mildew and rot long before the wiring failed .
Can't argue with your conclusions, but if some wire is run outside the trailer, along the bottom, for instance, then the tinned wire and extra resistant jacket is nice. If it is subject to vibration, the stranded wire in nice.

I don't wait for a one-in-a-billion failure expectation to try to select good materials to use. If you are selecting a material for a repair, and a bit of extra cost is not an issue, why not use the best, instead of deliberately using less than the best? And I'm not saying household romex will fail, just that the marine grade is clearly better stuff, albeit, harder to connect in some cases. This approach applies to quality tires, quality paints, stainless and grade 8 fasteners, tools, generators and many items, where there are choices. I'd rather, given the choice, pick something extremely unlikely to fail, than something that probably will be OK if installed perfectly.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #27

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
If anyone knows of any failures of NM solid conductor cable in a trailer, or knows of any statistics please speak up.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Can't argue with your conclusions, but if some wire is run outside the trailer, along the bottom, for instance, then the tinned wire and extra resistant jacket is nice. If it is subject to vibration, the stranded wire in nice.

I don't wait for a one-in-a-billion failure expectation to try to select good materials to use. If you are selecting a material for a repair, and a bit of extra cost is not an issue, why not use the best, instead of deliberately using less than the best? And I'm not saying household romex will fail, just that the marine grade is clearly better stuff, albeit, harder to connect in some cases. This approach applies to quality tires, quality paints, stainless and grade 8 fasteners, tools, generators and many items, where there are choices. I'd rather, given the choice, pick something extremely unlikely to fail, than something that probably will be OK if installed perfectly.
NM by code is approved for dry locations not wet locations
I would not recommend NM for outside use .
That being said I have a piece of temporary Romex I ran outdoors, laying on the ground over 5 years ago and it is still in good condition
The only time it failed was when a scotchlok / wirenut connection went bad
Again like I said before gold is a better conductor then copper so if you follow the only use the very best philosophy, we would be paying a $100 a foot for wire
Most /All of the electrical code is based on human safety and fire prevention
The materials are UL tested and listed for their intended use & purpose
When I was an apprentice, all residential wiring was done in metallic conduit , metal boxes and soldered connections
It was a great system but when the price of conduit went up 500% it got too costly to justify
When I was working in the trades the quality of my work was the same whether I was doing a small job for a working class family or the Governor of the State of Minnesota and yes I did work on the homes of three different Minnesota Governors.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #29

Syracuse, NY
Just to set the record straight, Silver has the lowest conductivity, followed by copper, then gold, then aluminum. The reason gold is used in electrical terminals and connections on circuit boards is because it doesn't corrode.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #30

Smith Valley, Nevada
Carl, I think you mean low resistivity, or high conductivity
Old 08-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #31

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Good point here. With Scamp, Escape and others using Romex, we would be hearing about these failures if they were happening. I’ve not seen a single complaint. Maybe they are out there? I do know know.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #32

Syracuse, NY
Senior moment. My bad. I guess that is some kind of dyslexia.

There is an old saying that goes something like this:

I know you believe you think you know what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I know you believe you think you know what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I need a nap now.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #34

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Good point here. With Scamp, Escape and others using Romex, we would be hearing about these failures if they were happening. I’ve not seen a single complaint. Maybe they are out there? I do know know.
My wife pulled apart a ‘68 airstream over the summer that uses Romex for both the AC and dc wiring throughout. Exact same wire for both. None of the connections showed any damage.

We are replacing all of the AC Lines because in 68 they were using aluminum romex.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
My wife pulled apart a ‘68 airstream over the summer that uses Romex for both the AC and dc wiring throughout. Exact same wire for both. None of the connections showed any damage.

We are replacing all of the AC Lines because in 68 they were using aluminum romex.
There's irony, considering that it was aluminum wire in an Airstream...

Should have bought the copper-top trailer.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #36

Name: Dale
Trailer: Scamp 13
Ohio
Romex is the standard. It was used in my Scamp. It was used in my Chateau class C, and it was used in my Newmar class A. I agree, use the clamp receptacles.
Dale Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:38 AM   #37

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
AC Electrical wire Choice Romex vs Stranded

Hi for what it's worth I rewired my Trillium 120v outlets with 12/2 romex wire using new plastic boxes and approved outlets (CSA) .
Quick and cheap best describes the stab connections used in trailers for 120v systems. Solid wire is much more resistant to moisture issues which will cause corrosion in boats ,trailers and other outdoor installations. Stranded wire does help with connections where vibration/ movement is an issue. The current carrying capacity is a factor for any load placed on the circuit in addition to how the wires are secured . My home has only screw connections on all outlets with not one failure in 40 + years. I hate back wired outlets where you just push in the wire ends .Contact is only on one tiny spot on one side of the wire, these connections are Ok when new but will heat up with age and any corrosion or large loads. I worked in the Electrical Power Generation field and ALL high voltage lines have bolted connections, some carry as much as 345 ,000 volts on the grid. There is a good reason this is done, it reduces failures. Sorry to be a little off topic here but poorly done installations can be deadly. Be safe and enjoy your camping times worry free. Regards ,Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:59 AM   #38

Name: Arthur
Trailer: Between RV's But Shopping
Mississippi
History ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by getaway1 View Post
I worked in the Electrical Power Generation field and ALL high voltage lines have bolted connections, some carry as much as 345 ,000 volts on the grid.

A little off topic ...

Don't know your age so you may not be aware of the following. I remember reading many many years ago about a gentleman that was sued by a power company.

High voltage transmission lines had been run beside his property. Being creative, the gentleman built a large induction coil that he placed on a raised mount and was able to collect enough energy to power his home. The power company sued on the basis that he was stealing energy from them. They lost. The court decision was that any energy floating around in free space was not owned by anyone.

Have always remembered that ... But, I'm not going to buy anything near transmission lines just to try it myself.

Arthur II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #39

Name: James
Trailer: 1976 Boler Voyager 13'
Ontario
Romex (solid) vs. stranded wire.

Having spent significant time early in my career working on a vibration table, environmentally testing (shake and bake) aircraft components and systems, I can state with some degree of confidence:
1) ALL components or structures will eventually fail--just a matter of time and the wrong conditions.
2) fatigue (vibrational or flexing) breaks generally occur where, for instance, a stranded wire is anchored under a screw head. Many of you have experienced a stranded wire failure in a power tool cable where the strain relief converts to solid mount. Ditto for solid wire.
3) Providing that the wire-solid or stranded,- is restrained such that there are no large loops to flex during normal operation, either will function adequately for trailer wiring. It is probably more important that other environmental factors such as exposure to weather are accommodated. Trailers are not as subjected to steady vibration as tow vehicles (engine vibration) so resonant vibration frequencies are not likely to be as significant over the life of the vehicle.

Solid wire is easier to work with for the 120v electrical applications--just don't nick the wire removing the insulation.
JamesML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #40

Syracuse, NY
We did our vibration testing after everyone when home for the evening. It was noisy and kinda vibrated everything around the test fixture!

Tags
electrical