Adding second battery to Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Adding second battery to Bigfoot

I have a second battery (type 24). I was thinking about installing it in parallel with existing battery. The wires would need to be about 5 or 6 feet long. I originally thought about putting in a disconnect also and just turn it on when needed but Parallel Power Supply tells me they would just wire in parallel.
My question is what gage wire should I use? Not sure what the gage of wire is currently connected to battery.
Thanks, Chris

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am not an Electrical Engineer but I see nobody has answered you yet. So the best way to get you some information is to post something and then somebody else will come along to correct me!. One way of looking at it is there is not much sense wiring it larger than is already running to the original battery. That is all the juice that will flow anyway. I like to size a little large not only for the calculated amperage but for mechanical purposes. Larger wires might hold up better in a harsh (mobile) environment and their connections might be more sturdy as well. If your goal is to in effect make one large battery out of two smaller ones then the wire should be sized according to the maximum available amperage, probably something on the order of 4 gauge. Think jumper cable type size or what goes to the starter in your car. This is overkill, but that is usually where I land. In any event I would protect (fuse) these wires at the appropriate rating for their size just to prevent any unintended pyrotechnics. Good luck.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Name: Rory
Trailer: In the market"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I have a second battery (type 24). I was thinking about installing it in parallel with existing battery. The wires would need to be about 5 or 6 feet long. I originally thought about putting in a disconnect also and just turn it on when needed but Parallel Power Supply tells me they would just wire in parallel.
My question is what gage wire should I use? Not sure what the gage of wire is currently connected to battery.
Thanks, Chris

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Chris, Here's a chart and note that should answer your question.
Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wire Size-1.pdf (78.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf How-to-connect-batteries-1.pdf (85.8 KB, 75 views)
Rory B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bigfoot, eco