Advice please - how to wire a battery charger battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Advice please - how to wire a battery charger battery

After reading the various posts regarding the feebleness of my 2002 Scamp's convertor for battery charging, I plan to wire in a Battery Tender for charging.

My question is how do I configure the system so that:
- the interior electrics are all 12 volt
- when I plug into shore power the convertor provides the 12 volt
- with no shore power the battery pack provides it
- and finally, when I am on 110v, the convertor does not charge the battery, only the Battery Tender ???

I'm thinking maybe I need a two way switch to isolate the battery from the convertor? My current trailer has all electrics wired into the battery, with a Battery Tender that I plug in whenever 110v is available - no convertor at all. Is this maybe the best option?
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Behind the converter is duplex outlet. Unplug the converter. Plug in the Battery Tender
Connect the battery Tender to the wires that come from the battery to the converter.
Simple as that.
No need for anything else. Now when you're plugged in the Battery Tender will keep the battery charged and at a higher charge than the American Converter, which is what you want.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #3

North Carolina
Registry
Byron, thanks for your reply.

It turns out my Scamp is equipped with a Centurion 3000 convertor. It lacks the duplex outlets you mention.

Instead, it has four 12v circuits exiting the back of the unit, with a 5th red wire circuit which goes to the battery. It also has two 110v circuits off the back.

I've not opened the case up to examine the internal circuitry, but my concern is that if I simply attach a stand alone charger to the battery, it will be competing with the Centurion unit. And conversely, if I disconnect the red wire from the Centurion, then the battery will be unable to power the 12v circuitry.

This is the reasoning that led me to consider placing a switch in line with the red wire battery circuit.
- When I'm plugged into shore power the switch will be off, isolating the battery from the Centurion unit, while the charger circuit will be live, with the charger plugged into a 110v outlet which I'll locate in the electrical compartment.
- When I am off shore power I'll turn the switch on, routing the battery through the Centurion to power the 12v circuits.

Recognizing that my understanding of electronics is limited - am I over complicating the issue?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
This is the reasoning that led me to consider placing a switch in line with the red wire battery circuit.
- When I'm plugged into shore power the switch will be off, isolating the battery from the Centurion unit, while the charger circuit will be live, with the charger plugged into a 110v outlet which I'll locate in the electrical compartment.
- When I am off shore power I'll turn the switch on, routing the battery through the Centurion to power the 12v circuits.

Recognizing that my understanding of electronics is limited - am I over complicating the issue?

Maybe instead of a switch, you could use a 110 volt relay, then it would be automatic.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
you can always remove the fuse from the panel to isolate the converter from battery
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
My converter actually has a switch on it to switch from shore power to battery. So, when I switch to shore power, the converter powers the 12v fixtures and the battery is completely disconnected(my converter does not have a charger in it). So you could put a switch on the battery line to turn the battery on/off. Then plug in dedicated charger to the battery-thus the battery would be charged anytime you have shore power.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
So you could put a switch on the battery line to turn the battery on/off. Then plug in dedicated charger to the battery-thus the battery would be charged anytime you have shore power.
Dennis, thanks! This sounds like my fix. I'll just feel more comfortable isolating the battery from the convertor when the convertor is powered.

Another problem solved. Let's see what crops up next!

Tags
battery