Am/fm stereo in 13ft. Scamp deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: 13 Ft.Scamp Researcher
westland
Am/fm stereo in 13ft. Scamp deluxe

Hello all, we are new here.

We are planning on purchasing a 13ft. scamp deluxe model in the next year or so.

I am having trouble finding any info. on a am/fm stereo being installed. (would like to find out sooner than later)

Obviously scamp does not offer it, but i still have a few questions if anyone has had it installed later or done it themselves.
I am a machinist but kind of limited on the electrical know how.

1. Do i need to have scamp run any extra wires and or dedicate a separate fuse to it ahead of time? (can ask scamp i guess)

2. Are there any suggestions as to a good spot for the receiver and speakers? (we are getting the antenna and tv package)

3. How would the rooftop antenna come into play with the stereo and then again, connect etc. ?

I realize there are car/boat stereo installer shops all over and we could go that route if needed but i still would like to hear any feedback on this topic if possible.
thanks in advance.
Eric in mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
AM/FM WX radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric in mich View Post
1. Do i need to have scamp run any extra wires and or dedicate a separate fuse to it ahead of time? (can ask scamp i guess)
2. Are there any suggestions as to a good spot for the receiver and speakers? (we are getting the antenna and tv package)
3. How would the rooftop antenna come into play with the stereo and then again, connect etc. ?
I ran extra power in for ham radio equipment and tapped into that. I mounted the AM/FM antenna to the back of the awning. The Smallest radio that I found was a boat radio. It had an extra input, so I used that for the TV that is to mall to hear over the sound of the air conditioner.
Attached Thumbnails
39 RADIO am fm wx.jpg   10 antenna mounts 3.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:00 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I just carry a small bluetooth speaker, and stream music off my phone

only radio I listen to is one station here at home, KPIG-FM, and even its not as good as it used to be (half the good DJs have retired, the original program director is dead, etc etc)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #4

Mid Left Coast
as far as adding a car stereo goes... car stereos have two power wires, yellow and red.

the yellow wire is constant power, so you connect that directly to a fused circuit off your main fuse panel (you could tap into a lighting circuit, whatever)

the red wire is switched power on a car, and is normally only powered when the car is on.... if you wire this to always-on power, it will drain your RV battery even when the stereo is off (found this out the hard way), so its best to put this on a toggle switch. so take that same power source you ran to yellow, connect it to the 'pole' of a on/off toggle switch, and connect the 'throw' of the switch to the red wire, mount the switch right next to the stereo.

black wire from stereo goes to ground (negative). blue wires, orange wires, you can tape off so they won't short anything. grey (+) and grey-black (-) goes to the right front speaker, white (+) and white-black (-) goes to the left front speaker. if you're only using two speakers, tape off the purple and green wires so they won't short.

done!

Old 07-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #5

Name: Eric
Trailer: 13 Ft.Scamp Researcher
westland
Am/fm stereo in 13ft. Scamp deluxe

Wow guys. Great info.
a lot to think about. Thanks so much.

Not to keep this thread going any longer but you can not connect any radio thru the rooftop antenna that scamp installs? That only works for tv reception?
Eric in mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
TV antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric in mich View Post
Wow guys. Great info.
a lot to think about. Thanks so much.

Not to keep this thread going any longer but you can not connect any radio thru the rooftop antenna that scamp installs? That only works for tv reception?
Any antenna that works for VHF TV should also work for FM radio, maybe not for AM.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

Mid Left Coast
you'll need a coax patch cord with a car stereo plug on the radio side, and an 'F" connector that attaches to the inside of the antenna port on the camper shell.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
we do as Jonn does using our iPhone with the Pandora application Bluetooth to JBL wireless speaker. We also have an XM radio face plate that we move from the tow vehicle into the trailer and use the same Bluetooth JBL speaker using a dongle, so we can move the speaker out into our clam shelters, or we simply use a direct wire from the XM radio plugged into the JBL speaker, for times that we don’t have cell service. I had installed a car radio in our first scamp 13 foot trailer by tapping into The light, mounted under the cabinet by the dinette, and simply taping a bipole antenna inside the cabinet for reception. Best of luck with your project.
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I installed a 2.1 desktop computer speaker system into our camper that ran off of a 110v/12v plug. I just hard wired it into the camper's 12v wiring. I also installed a mini plug in my upper shelf to hook into it either a Bluetooth receiver, Amazon Echo or "emergency" am/fm/sb radio.

Now we enjoy great sound and have options. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200722-084302_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	136173
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #10

Registry
Other components of the sound system. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200722-085707_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	136174
Name:   tapatalk_1595422664690.jpeg
Views: 126
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:   tapatalk_1595422660211.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:   tapatalk_1595422656548.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  14.8 KB
Old 07-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #11

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
I installed a 2.1 desktop computer speaker system into our camper that ran off of a 110v/12v plug. I just hard wired it into the camper's 12v wiring.....
careful doing this sort of thing... some 12VDC supplies are regulated 12V and the device may well expect something like 11.5-12.5V with no noise. your camper '12V' can be anywhere up to around 14.2 or 14.4Vwhen the power converter is running and the batteries are fully charged with even higher transients (heater motor or water pump startup/shutdown, for instance) , stuff directly wired to it really should be tolerant of 10-16V or so for safe margins, that is unregulated 12V.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #12

Registry
Correct. I ran the electric through a noise filter and I have a 12v 74w dc to dc stabalizer. The system has been running well for 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
careful doing this sort of thing... some 12VDC supplies are regulated 12V and the device may well expect something like 11.5-12.5V with no noise. your camper '12V' can be anywhere up to around 14.2 or 14.4Vwhen the power converter is running and the batteries are fully charged with even higher transients (heater motor or water pump startup/shutdown, for instance) , stuff directly wired to it really should be tolerant of 10-16V or so for safe margins, that is unregulated 12V.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #13

Registry
This is the voltage stabilizer I usedClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200725-113717_eBay.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	136279
Old 07-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #14

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
This is the voltage stabilizer I usedAttachment 136279
do you have a link to where you got that? I've been looking for something similar for another use.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
do you have a link to where you got that? I've been looking for something similar for another use.
Here you go John:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233646170478
Old 07-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
here's my audio setup in my 16' casita. i used a car stereo from crutchfield online. those folks were amazingly helpful. i simply wanted to get power to the unit and i knew the gaggle of wires to choose from was way overkill. my tech guy at crutchfield went so far as to draw and e-mail a simplified wiring diagram. i simply picked up the 12v via the wire for the overhead light over the bed. the radio has a lot of input options (usb, mini plug, etc..) had i known then what i do now i would have moved up to a unit with bluetooth. the unit has worked flawlessly since installation 8 years ago.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
stereo & curtain upgrade_cu.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #17

Registry
Looks nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
here's my audio setup in my 16' casita. i used a car stereo from crutchfield online. those folks were amazingly helpful. i simply wanted to get power to the unit and i knew the gaggle of wires to choose from was way overkill. my tech guy at crutchfield went so far as to draw and e-mail a simplified wiring diagram. i simply picked up the 12v via the wire for the overhead light over the bed. the radio has a lot of input options (usb, mini plug, etc..) had i known then what i do now i would have moved up to a unit with bluetooth. the unit has worked flawlessly since installation 8 years ago.

p@
Old 07-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #18

Name: Max
Trailer: in the market
Tennessee
AM/FM stereo in casita 13

I replaced a dead Sony car stereo in my Casita SD with a Dual car unit that I purchased from Amazon or EBay this Spring. Since the pin outs of the connector were different, I had to cut the wires to the Sony connector, and splice them onto the Dual unit. No big deal.
But the three items I want to convey are this:
1 - The unit only cost $25, with something like 25 Watts per four channels (left, right, front, rear (you don’t have to connect the rear channels if you don’t want them)).
2 - The unit has a USB jack on the front, so you can play mp3s you download from the internet, or your friends share with you (I download old-time radio comedies to listen to in bed).
3 - Instead of providing a cheap remote control, you download the Dual control app on your phone, which uses Bluetooth.
MaxinTenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
You can get a bluetooth speaker with am/fm, that way its portable and you can take it inside or outside. Nowadays there are some very good quality portable speakers, that way it saves you work and if you change campers you can take it with you.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #20

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
Sirius/XM radio

I had an old XM radio laying around the house. It was one of the originals that you could plug into the power port in the car, and you could move it from vehicle to vehicle. I got SiriusXM to turn it back on, and plugged it into the power port in my 74 ECO. I have a couple of old computer speakers on the shelf, and I generally just hook the antenna magnet onto the kitchen support bar. If you have a home kit, the unit pulls out of the housing easily, and you can use it in the house. They can be found on places like EBay and Amazon for a very reasonable price.
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp