American Converter => PD4045 Install Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 2006 16'
Missouri
American Converter => PD4045 Install Question

Hello - After testing the American converter in my 2006 Scamp, it didn't appear that it had ever worked. After reading several suggestions, I ordered the Progressive Dynamics converter (PD4045).

I've been reading on the installation process and most of it makes sense.

There are a few things I can't figure out.

First, there is a bare copper wire coming into a bus on the back of the current American converter, and no matching location in the new unit (no bus on the outside). Where should that wire terminate?

Second, there are connections for Battery Pos and Battery Neg on the new unit. My current setup has 3 12v wires coming into it - one white wire which is also attached to the same bus as the bare copper wire mentioned above, and two black wires that come in and connect to the 20a fuses (picture below). Is one of those the Battery Pos wire, and is the white one attached to the bus on the back the Battery Neg wire?

Third, the PD4045 has two red wires on the 12v side and 10 black wires. I assume there is a reason for the difference - is that based on what will be connected? The only 12v items in the trailer now are the Fantastic Fan, the "dome" lights, and a TV antenna booster. I'm just wondering if I should use one slot vs. another when I connect the existing 12v items to the converter.

Finally, do I need to buy a separate ground bar for all the 12v wires?

Here is the existing rig: https://imgur.com/KeVoowp

Thanks in advance!
michaewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The PD4045 instructions can be a little difficult, and it's been some time since I installed mine so I can't answer your questions other than the 12 volt ground, I used a single bolt through the side of the battery box as a common ground for all the 12 volt circuits. Other end of the bolt was attached to the negative terminal of the battery with a short wire. I did find a couple of the 12 volt wires were marked wrong, the numbers on the wire didn't match the fuse number
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Just look on youtube. You will find videos showing the installation of that unit. There are a number of them. If you don't get it from one of them then watch the next one.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I installed my PD-4045 I brought in 2 heavy leads from my battery. The black positive to the PD-4045 and the white negative to a seperate terminal strip under the front left bottom cabinet. My PD-4045 is mounted to that cabinet. When I ran my individual dc circuts I ran both a positive and negative wire to the item I wanted to hook up. Make sure you check the numbered 12 volt leads comming out of the PD-4045 mine had a couple of miss matched connections so check them to be sure. The one thing I wished I did differently would have been to add a master 12 volt Disconnect switch in the 12 volt positive line comming right from the battery.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #5

Missouri
Bare wire

I think I have this all figured out with the exception of the bare copper wire.

If anyone remembers where that one that came from the back of the American ended up in the new configuration let me know.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
In my opinion, a bare copper wire can only be one thing, a ground. No wire normally carrying power would be bare.

I installed a PD4045 in 2008, although it was not an American Converter that was replaced. In my PD4045 manual, a detailed wiring diagram appears on pages 1 & 4, and it shows a ground bus bar at the bottom labeled GND. Connect your bare copper wire to that.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

Missouri
Thanks Victor - that is what I was planning to try. Wish me luck!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Just another thought, check where the other end of the bare wire is connected. On my Fiber Stream, I have a bare wire ground connected to the trailer frame with a sheet metal screw and lock washer. I do not remember where the other end connects inside the trailer, and it is put away for the winter now.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I think there was a change in the buss bars or connection points in the newer PD4045's. Victor, yours and mine may be slightly different than the current models. I discovered this when a member of the Uhaul group had some questions on installing his earlier this year
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bare copper

go look at your power pole it has a huge copper line running down it to earth ground this is your common ground you will find it all over your house even at your meter box.

don't go drilling holes look for a bolt nearby there will be one put a lug on it loosen the bolt and now you have common ground important here. you need it for things to work!

good luck

bob

a 13f scamper is redicoulus
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #11

Missouri
Worked great

After enlarging the opening and getting it all wired up everything seems to be working great, thanks for all your help. I just attached the copper wire to the ground bus bar as Victor suggested. Battery is charging and lights are working again.

I doubt there is much of value, but if anyone needs parts from the American unit let me know.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I still don't understand why people think they need a converter. I haven't used mine is years. All it does for me is supply a fuse block and covers a large hole in the street side dinette bench.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Byron; we all have different ideas, I use my converter all the time, you don't, no big hairy , to each his own.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
right

joe you are so right I don't use mine no big deal if you use yours fine but I am willing to help in any way I can.

no need to criticize the other method this is what makes campin great I am frugal I love to save money. if the other person wants luxury I am in favor of it!

tolerance goes a long long way!!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #15

Missouri
This feels like the right time to ask about how to install my new jewel encrusted toilet seat...
Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think you need to start a new thread for your toilet seat problems, mixing this in with your converter issues will make everyone confused. Like why would someone want to mount their family jewels on top of their converter. Mixing 2 different subjects in the same thread causes confusion and is just plain nuts
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #17

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Hi kOwtz The 2 red wires at the top of the 12 black outlet wires; are they constant hot? I should say I don't know. Can you help. Youtube has nothing on the 4045. I read a link at blue wiring amp correct size and it suggested when changing from 30amp to 45amp I should change from the existing to10 to eliminate heated wiring. I ran a new line from battery to the convertor.

Thanks Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I use my converter all the time, and wouldn't want to be without it. That said, when I converted to the PD upgrade from my old Parallax unit, the new unit came with a new 12 volt dc fuse panel that has LED indicators to show if a fuse has blown by illuminating a red LED on that circuit. It is a nice feature, but one that is not readily visible unless the top cabinet door is opened. To remedy that problem I cut out a viewing window in the converter's top cover over the area where the LED's are situated on the panel. I attached a piece of clear plexiglass over the cutout, so now I can see at a glance if I have an open circuit by just looking through the new view port.
Attached Thumbnails
new 008.JPG   new 002.JPG  

new 001.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #19

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Greg My 4045 has a door that swings open and the light is visible There are 12 wires at the rear of the converter. each one can be attached to a different unit needing a fused power supply there are 2 of these that are red and not black. The instructions do not suggest what they are used for. That is my question.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Kenny,
You didn't say whether you bought the entire PD converter or just the "lower unit" that most of us use to upgrade with? Since I don't have a Bigfoot, I'm not up on what brand and model of converter they installed in those trailers. However, here is a good site with a lot of information, and they also offer tech help over the phone as well for any questions, if you can't find the answers you need on their website.

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote