Another BigFoot Solar Thread - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #41

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Yeah, I would definitely always want to boondock.

I recently added a solid framed 190 watt solar panel to my roof. Thought hard about flexible panels, really did not want to drill holes in the roof. In the end I could only find 100 watt flexibles and did not want to add two panels up there. Gave in and drilled holes at the corners for the holddown bolts. No regrets.
Attached Thumbnails
solar190W.jpg   VictronM.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #42

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Talking

My work here is done. It is looking like I have found an alternative to propane and running the fridge (Dometic RM8551 4.3 cu ft) while towing, or anywhere the sun shines.
Here is what I got:
  • One each Lithium Battleborn 100ah
  • One 190 watt solar panel permanently attached to trailer roof and connected.
  • One Victron 100/30 solar controller.
At 11 am this morning in yard it was 70F in fridge, 85F in trailer. Full sun outside. I fired up fridge on battery, 4 dots. Battery was at 13.6 V. Also just for fun, turned on inverter.

At 2 PM sun is on street side and inside the trailer it was 91F. Fridge showed 54F. And the Battleborn showed 13.5 volts. That would be 14 degrees cooler in three hours.

Quoting Sparky Anderson, you coulda knocked me over with a feather.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #43

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
I just realized you made these two posts. I am glad that is working for you. Personally I would rather use propane to power the frig, just not while driving. I think the frig works better on propane, at least mine does.

So you last a tenth of a volt while the sun was shining. What happens to your voltage over night?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #44

Name: Bridget
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
Hi Tom, I'm curious if you have had enough time on the road to comment on the solar panel install. Is the combination of VHB and Eturnabond tape holding up? Have you ever checked the temperature of the panels under heavy output?
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #45

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetMills View Post
Hi Tom, I'm curious if you have had enough time on the road to comment on the solar panel install. Is the combination of VHB and Eturnabond tape holding up? Have you ever checked the temperature of the panels under heavy output?
I think I got a bad batch of VHB tape. I used it with eturnabond tape on the first solar panel. The last three were only eturnabond tape. I never checked temperatures.

I learned at that Victron seminar that the colder it is the more power you can get from a solar panel. It makes sense, I just never thought about it. Well it can be a problem up north and they have equipment to turn off over producing panels.

I have been about 4000 miles with the solar panels so I think they are stuck down pretty good.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #46

Massachusetts
Minor update

I was up on the roof yesterday to give it a wash in preparation for some kind of wax job. Everything looked good and all of the Eturnabond tape is doing it's job. The only flaw was one panel shifted off of the plastic cardboard spacer that I used under the panels. It only shifted a quarter inch and maybe the spacer shifted and not the panel. I tried sliding them back inline but they are stuck that way now.

If I had to do it over now I would use double sided tape between the panel and the spacer.

I don't know what kind of coating they put on those panels but the water beaded up like they were a freshly waxed surface. The water was just sheeting off of the rest of the roof. I might not have noticed had I not just watched a Project Farm video on different paint protectors.

Tags
bigfoot, solar